How To Identify A Flexible Nib On A 1940's Vacumatic

gammada

Hello,

I'm about to buy a vintage Parker Vacumatic (streamlined end cap) that the seller is advertising as an Extra-Fine Flexible nib pen. His writing sampler certainly looks the part, but I understand there are some Vac pens that can be a bit flexible without necessarily being a flexible nib. Even heard about one that acted as such because of cracks near the breather hole.

Are there any special markings?

This will be my first Vac and my first Flexible nib, what should I need to be aware of?

Also, I will be paying about $88 for an unrestored but functional pen. Is this high/ low/ average?

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gammada

• Florida Blue

• ac12

• Lazard 20

Top Posters In This Topic

90/100$ for 3G Major or Junior, 110/120$ for 2G (double jewel) Major or Standard 2G and 125/150$ for Standar 1G (double jewel, short blind cap), in my particular opinion, would be a good price from the buyer's point of view

Be aware that some people FORCE the nib to flex, even if they are NOT a flex nib. A nib will take only so much of that abuse before it springs.

For me, the only real test is to hold the pen in my hands and test the nib on my finger nail or to write with it, with minimal pressure.

If that truly is a flex nib, I would put the value of the nib alone at about $100+ USD. So the pen should be $150+.

What you should learn, is how to truly write with a flex nib, and NOT spring the nib.

You need to write with a LIGHT hand and NOT try to FLEX the nib widely. The wider you flex the nib, the more stress you place on the nib, and the more likely you will be to spring the nib. Once the nib is sprung, the damage could be fatal, as in NOT repairable.

To replace the daphram in a Vac, you need to send it to a pen tech that has the tools to do a Vac, and has the experience.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

90/100$ for 3G Major or Junior, 110/120$ for 2G (double jewel) Major or Standard 2G and 125/150$ for Standar 1G (double jewel, short blind cap), in my particular opinion, would be a good price from the buyer's point of view

Great info. Thanks!

Be aware that some people FORCE the nib to flex, even if they are NOT a flex nib. A nib will take only so much of that abuse before it springs.

For me, the only real test is to hold the pen in my hands and test the nib on my finger nail or to write with it, with minimal pressure.

If that truly is a flex nib, I would put the value of the nib alone at about $100+ USD. So the pen should be $150+.

What you should learn, is how to truly write with a flex nib, and NOT spring the nib.

You need to write with a LIGHT hand and NOT try to FLEX the nib widely. The wider you flex the nib, the more stress you place on the nib, and the more likely you will be to spring the nib. Once the nib is sprung, the damage could be fatal, as in NOT repairable.

To replace the daphram in a Vac, you need to send it to a pen tech that has the tools to do a Vac, and has the experience.

Any particular markings that I should be aware of? Is there any indication on the nib that it might be a flex nib?

Typically US-made Vacumatics had firm nibs. This is partially due to the fact that Parker guaranteed their pens against failure, which included sprung nibs. It is not a guarantee, but I have noticed that Canadian-made Vacs often have flexible nibs and I own a couple.

These are not Vacumatics, but the striped Duofold pens of the 1940s with Vacumatic fillers can have flexible nibs. I believe the reason can be attributed to nibs tending to be thinner (these were the plain mono-tone nibs that just read "Parker Pen").

Parker is not known for flex nibs and their vintage pens (Duofold, Vac, 51 etc.) usually don't have them. The best way to tell if a nib is flexible is to write with it, but that of course is not possible over the internet.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Thanks for the info, Florida Blue. I don't think any of my Vacs are flexers, but I do have a 1941 button filler Laidtone Duofold which has a semi-flex nib. That is to say, it has a bit of flex, but is by no stretch of the imagination a wet noodle....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Any particular markings that I should be aware of? Is there any indication on the nib that it might be a flex nib?

NO.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Typically US-made Vacumatics had firm nibs. This is partially due to the fact that Parker guaranteed their pens against failure, which included sprung nibs. It is not a guarantee, but I have noticed that Canadian-made Vacs often have flexible nibs and I own a couple.

These are not Vacumatics, but the striped Duofold pens of the 1940s with Vacumatic fillers can have flexible nibs. I believe the reason can be attributed to nibs tending to be thinner (these were the plain mono-tone nibs that just read "Parker Pen").

Parker is not known for flex nibs and their vintage pens (Duofold, Vac, 51 etc.) usually don't have them. The best way to tell if a nib is flexible is to write with it, but that of course is not possible over the internet.

I will be meeting the seller in person, so I will have a chance to test the pen before committing to buy. Hopefully, I'll strike my first flex nib. I'll post pictures as soon as I get the pen!

Gud Luk

I went the way of using a dip pen when I want to do flex writing.

Easier (using an oblique holder) and cheaper (the nibs are about $2 each).

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks for the info, Florida Blue. I don't think any of my Vacs are flexers, but I do have a 1941 button filler Laidtone Duofold which has a semi-flex nib. That is to say, it has a bit of flex, but is by no stretch of the imagination a wet noodle....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

You're welcome. Flexible nibs might be found more easily in pre-Duofold Parkers, but once Parker hit it big with the Duofold they pretty much stuck with firm nibs. When I hear "wet noodle" Parker does not come to mind :D

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.