trdsf

So there is an antique shop nearby that is looking out for my money collecting interests, and I got a lovely brown Sheaffer Snorkel desk set with a yellow-green base over this past weekend (and a bunch of other non-pen-related things, but that's another story and involves radioactivity and a UV light source).

The mechanism appears to be good -- the snorkel extends and retracts correctly. But this is my first Snorkel, so I have not even run a water flush through it, because I want the advice of the FPN hive mind first as to the proper care and feeding of this lovely little beast.

Pictures when I get home. :)

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trdsf

• pajaro

• gaijin94

• eharriett

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suggest rebuilding before even trying to suck up water. But if you must try it: turn the blind cap to extend the snorkel, pull out the plunger, put it near your ear and push in the plunger. There should be a little whoosh sound when the plunger is almost all the way in. If no whoosh sound, something is wrong.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

I bought a brown Snorkel desk pen a while ago. It was stickered medium. It has worked reliably with no attention. Conventional wisdom says resac it, but I bought it for the base it had, a clear lumpy thing. The pen was a bonus.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I suggest rebuilding before even trying to suck up water. But if you must try it: turn the blind cap to extend the snorkel, pull out the plunger, put it near your ear and push in the plunger. There should be a little whoosh sound when the plunger is almost all the way in. If no whoosh sound, something is wrong.

Brian

I am -- understandably, I think -- a little hesitant to jump from re-saccing a lever pen to rebuilding the mechanics internal to a Snorkel, but this is at least a test I can do. :)

Ack, and I forgot to take pictures last night. I'll correct that tonight. The pen apparently came from a collector (I've been advised by the antique shop that they're trying to negotiate a few more pens out of him) so it may already be in working condition.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

Unless he was one of those collectors who can't bear removing anything original from the item, even an ossified sac and rusted-through spring, and replacing them with something modern is just a travesty.

It does make that little 'whoosh' and the mechanical operation is smooth, no sticking anywhere. I think it may be in working condition.

And I forgot to post the pictures last night. Will remember tonight. I hope. :)

• 3 months later...

Still no pictures? I just bought a white dot brown desk pen. Would be interested to see yours to compare. Also may I ask what you roughly pay for it?

Strive to Live with Love and Care,

Upon the Level, by the Square

This is my pen that I bought today. I got it for $30. DOnt know if it was a good buy or not. Does anyone know? Don't know if it works either but the snorkel seems to extend and retract smoothly. I'm not sure how to fill a snorkel but I am keen to try it out. If it was a lever fill, no problem, but a snorkel and a desk pen at that, I am unsure as to how to even pull it apart....

Does anyone have any information on this pen?

Thank you!

post-101544-0-14498200-1489947912_thumb.jpg

post-101544-0-60412900-1489947925_thumb.jpg

post-101544-0-17091900-1489947939_thumb.jpg

Strive to Live with Love and Care,

Upon the Level, by the Square

I thought I did take pictures... (checks Flickr). Huh. Guess not. I'll fix that when I get home tonight.

I have one. It needs repairing. The snorkel worked fine then didn't. It is a different animal. It was easy to disassemble -- or at least it was, unlike the regular snorkel pen. I tried it with some Aurora black and it was the smoothest pen I had ever used. Then it jammed. Gotta send it out. Not complaining. Paid $16 for it. When I get it repaired it will be phenomenal.

Oh, spit. I took pictures and forgot to post them. Tonight!

Tonight! I promised!

33232901270_a35d1ec71c_c.jpg

Tonight! I promised!

33232901270_a35d1ec71c_c.jpg

OMG, you got an open nib Snorkel! I bought one of these, but it needs a restoration. I tried to follow directions on the Binder site, but it's beyond me to get the Snorkel works apart. One of these days I'll send it off, probably.

Your pen and base are beautiful. I like the open nib desk pens better than the conical nib pens. Beautiful pen, beautiful pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Maybe Ron Zorn will chime in.it can't hurt to hear what he has to say

Oddly enough, I've had the base for ages (it came with a different desk pen, I think an Estie, to which it was an imperfect fit). The 'new' pen fits it perfectly, though, and they look a proper set, not two individual pieces that happened to fit together.

I actually would have preferred a Triumph -- I love that nib -- but the price for this beauty was far too good to quibble over, and I've been wanting a Snorkel for a while, just for the Rube Goldbergishness of it. :)

I may bite the metaphoric bullet tonight and see if it draws water, and if it does, load something into it. Any recommendations? I don't know if these tend to be wet or dry writers, and that will make a difference to which ink I put in.

Looks very similar to mine except mine does have the Triumph nib. Mine also is in need of repair as well. I was thinking recently of sending it off to Ron along with a couple others. Was hoping for a slight moratorium on pen stuff though. And then I was on the FPN classifieds last night (darn it!!!).......

Beatiful snorkel desk pens. Get them, you all, restored and start using them.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

The pen is OLD.

Unless you KNOW that the ink sac was recently replaced (within last 5 years), the pen should go into for resacing.

If the sac on a snorkel leaks, besides a mess, the ink could start the metal to rust/corrode.

My SOP for new used pens is to replace the sac, even if it seems to work. I want to start from a known good condition. That gives me 10+ years of life that I can count on.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com