Which One Would You Like To Add Next?

BillH

My acquisition plan may seem rather pedestrian to many here, but I'm still rather new to this world. I've taken a liking to Pelikan, though, and have started with a green stripe 400NN which I am enjoying quite a bit. It was my first Pelikan and my first vintage.

Next up, I want to go with the current production, and I believe the M600 is right for me. Beginning with the green stripe, since I think it makes for a nice companion to the 400NN, then moving to the other standard colors for an RGB collection. One hitch, though, is that I prefer the blue stripe with chrome trim, but that's not currently available as an M605, so I need to go with the M405 (most likely) or M805 for that unless I can find a pre-owned M605 from back when.

I'm not rushing into it, but that's my current plan.

- Marc

A M605 will come to you, especially with your patient approach. And the M600 form is the sweet spot for me.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BillH

• inkstainedruth

• alfredop

• Calabria

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A M605 will come to you, especially with your patient approach. And the M600 form is the sweet spot for me.

Thanks much for the encouraging words!

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

I hope to win the bid on a stenographic gold nib on a Pelikan 140 for the upcoming birthday of my mother.

For me, I would just like to win a gold nib in fine with a smooth, well-functioning piston mechanism. Preferably in the classic black and green body colors. Perhaps a 140 or a 400. I don't have many demands from my first vintage Pelikan purchase since there is a fair number of online and physical sellers in m country and in Europe.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

I keep looking at the Café Crème and was looking at it again when I found the M405 Stresemann for only $50 more so I got that instead.

I think part of my reluctance is feeling that only a brown ink should be used in it. I already have 2 pens (one, a Pelikan) with brown inks and neither sees much use.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I keep looking at the Café Crème and was looking at it again when I found the M405 Stresemann for only $50 more so I got that instead.

I think part of my reluctance is feeling that only a brown ink should be used in it. I already have 2 pens (one, a Pelikan) with brown inks and neither sees much use.

Black ink is good with every type of pens, so as you do not need to be reluctant :)

Alfredo

At the moment I just want only one more Pelikan. A 400NN brown tortoise because the binde on my current one has staring cominf off in big way. I would like a new custom binde on this one but would also like to add another one with the factory binde.

Khan M. Ilyas

At the moment I just want only one more Pelikan. A 400NN brown tortoise because the binde on my current one has staring cominf off in big way. I would like a new custom binde on this one but would also like to add another one with the factory binde.

Excellent decision. Good luck with your search for a custom binde, and for another tortoise 400NN. The former will be striking with many years of superb service ahead. The latter will be another wonderful pen with many years of service to go like so many of us have loved so long. Can't wait to see and hear about both of them.

I was wondering if a Pelikan 150 for less than 30€ would be a worthy buy as my first "adult" Pelikan (after a string of Pelikanos).

It's no gold nib, but I'm in no rush to write with one, and I know from my mother's Pelikan 120 that these little steel nibs are quite good on their own.

I was wondering if a Pelikan 150 for less than 30€ would be a worthy buy as my first "adult" Pelikan (after a string of Pelikanos).

It's no gold nib, but I'm in no rush to write with one, and I know from my mother's Pelikan 120 that these little steel nibs are quite good on their own.

Yes, in my opinion. I haven't seen one that well priced in awhile and they are great little pens. My feeling would be the older nib of the 120 will be somewhat better than the newer M150 nib, but for 30 EU the value is definitely there. Good luck!

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

The 150s are my workhorses, I have 5 inked with 2 in reserve. No better introduction to grown-up Pelikans and 30EU is a bargain.

Yes, in my opinion. I haven't seen one that well priced in awhile and they are great little pens. My feeling would be the older nib of the 120 will be somewhat better than the newer M150 nib, but for 30 EU the value is definitely there. Good luck!

The 150s are my workhorses, I have 5 inked with 2 in reserve. No better introduction to grown-up Pelikans and 30EU is a bargain.

Thank you both for sharing your opinion about the Pelikan 150. :)

Edited by RoyalBlueNotebooks

• 2 weeks later...

Guess it's almost the end of the year. The new white one and the new blue one are ordered and paid for, although neither is in the mail yet...

So. Which one next? I've been seriously tempted by MB's Martele of late. But the "What Is Going On?" thread in the MB forum is really giving me pause...

So, I think the M900 Toledo (in black Lam1 ;) ) is once again in top spot on my list.

Edited by BillH

Current flock:

M215 Rings - EF, Hebraic, and 1.0 cursive italic

M800 Green Striated - 0.8mm stub

M800 Blue O'Blue - EF

M800 Grand Place - waiting on a B

M800 Renaissance Brown - EF

M805 Black - 0.3mm cursive italic

I'm really enjoying M800s where the cap matches the barrel, instead of the black/brown cap on the striated versions. I also have a preponderance of gold trimmed birds, so I'm wondering about swapping the M805 Black for an M800 Black.

Fortunately the demonstrators do nothing for me, nor do the M800 Burnt Orange or the M805 Vibrant Blue. I'm really nervous about the Ocean Swirl coming out shortly...

Dream list:

M900 or M910 Toledo (to match either the M800 or M805 Black - whatever I decide)

M800 Green O'Green

M800 Red O'Red

Well, the M800 Black with a delightful fine nib made its way to my nest. Six M80x pens...I think one has to go, but which one?!?

bayesianprior.png

Well, the M800 Black with a delightful fine nib made its way to my nest. Six M80x pens...I think one has to go, but which one?!?

I seem to recall seeing a comment here a year or two ago that essentially said

"they aren't wives or girlfriends, you can have as many as you want so why get rid of one?"

:lol:

If I get another Pelikan, it will be a 400NN, tortoise, with an oblique nib. But I'm almost at the end of my pen-buying for now, and financially I was at the end of it a long time ago!!

I'd personally rather buy different nibs- a fine to swap with my broad M1000, a broad or oblique to swap with my fine M800, etc.

Guess it's almost the end of the year. The new white one and the new blue one are ordered and paid for, although neither is in the mail yet...

So. Which one next? I've been seriously tempted by MB's Martele of late. But the "What Is Going On?" thread in the MB forum is really giving me pause...

So, I think the M900 Toledo (in black Lam1 ;) ) is once again in top spot on my list.

Now, that is a tough decision, BillH! But, since the Toledo is my grail pen, if it were me, I’d give an edge to the Toledo - in any color, in fact, in all colors :) (not trying to give you any ideas... :D ).

As for me.. what do I want next?

Hmm... tough to say. In short, I still want them all!

I still haven’t added that M1000 with B nib that I mentioned at the beginning of the thread. That may or may not happen at Christmas time, depending on if one of the many M800 that I still want (Red, solid blue, Blue Ocean, Wall Street, you name it :D ) crosses my path or not. It would help if Pelikan stopped releasing so many of them.

To make matters worse, during the hub I tried a M101N, a pen I never had any interest, and now I also “need” the two tortoises! And it is better not to talk about Vintage!

Too many pens, too little money :(

I'm like that with my 1990s era M400 Brown Tortoise. It gets brown ink. I keep telling myself that someday I will go wild and crazy and put something like Noodler's Navajo Turquoise in it, and then reach for a brown again....

As for my Café Crèmes (before I lost them :wallbash: ) I used a variety of colors, but some of the inks were on the wet side (even Pelikan 4001 Violet). KWZI Grey Plum worked very well with the B nib on the second one, though.

Ruth Morrison aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Now, that is a tough decision, BillH! But, since the Toledo is my grail pen, if it were me, I’d give an edge to the Toledo - in any color, in fact, in all colors :) (not trying to give you any ideas... :D ).

As for me.. what do I want next?

Hmm... tough to say. In short, I still want them all!

I still haven’t added that M1000 with B nib that I mentioned at the beginning of the thread. That may or may not happen at Christmas time, depending on if one of the many M800 that I still want (Red, solid blue, Blue Ocean, Wall Street, you name it :D ) crosses my path or not. It would help if Pelikan stopped releasing so many of them.

To make matters worse, during the hub I tried a M101N, a pen I never had any interest, and now I also “need” the two tortoises! And it is better not to talk about Vintage!

Too many pens, too little money :(

+1. I was going to quote just part of your post to economize on space, but I agree with so many sentences ;)

It would be nice if Pelikan didn't release so many new pens a year, I agree (for those of us that are still collecting some of the "older" models). As for me, I just got the M600 green o'green, but still want the M605 Marine blue, the M101n red tortoise, and one or two more of the City series. --Oh, and of course, the Toledo M700/M710 are perennially on my wishlist. But I still cringe at the thought of spending that much on one pen.

Thankfully, I have at least determined that I prefer modern pens and probably am not focusing on collecting vintage Pelikans anymore. Though a vintage M101N is in the distant distant, very distant future.

I'm like that with my 1990s era M400 Brown Tortoise. It gets brown ink.

Ruth Morrison aka inkstainedruth

Exactly. My M250 Brown Tortoise got Macassar and Yama-guri has it's own dedicated pen. Two browns is enough for me.