Which One Would You Like To Add Next?

BillH

@Lam1: Yes. Yes, I did.... :wallbash: I have this horrible feeling that it's somewhere under the leaves in the driveway, just begging to be run over.... :crybaby: And the worst part? It had KWZI Grey Plum in it....

I'm so sorry to hear that, Ruth. I hope you find it (hopefully it is not in the driveway). Good luck!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BillH

• inkstainedruth

• alfredop

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let me just say I don't think anyone is really satisfied that their Pleikan collection is where they would like it to be. Most of us are satisfied given financial constraints but if money fell form the sky into your lap (an unanticipated inheritance from Aunt Gladys' estate, or a rebate due to accounting errors from the bank, that sort of thing) I believe most Pelikin fanciers would justify a Pelikan purchase provided the windfall would cover the expense.

For me it breaks down into several categories:

reasonable in the foreseeable future:

• An m101n Brown tortoise. I passed on these when they came out and have regretted that decision ever since. I have seen a few in the $350 range recently and have been very tempted.
  • A grey binde 101n.
  • A red stripe M600

Possible, but a real stretch;

• A 101n Tortoise from the 40's or 50's. I think these are exquisite pens.

Windfall dependent:

• An original Toledo from the 40's or earlier
  • a Maki-e SeaWorld
  • a Maki-e Koi
  • A Raden Moonlight
  • a140 in grey
  • a 140 in tortoise
  • a 140 in Mother of Pearl

No Aunt Gladys on the horizon for me (I am the spawn of peasant stock) But it is fun to dream. Here is a really nice gesture to come my way: My wife wants to take me to the LA Pen show in Feb. That's something that's on my bucket list, (she wouldn't mind seeing a little sunshine in February also). I told her it is a fabulous idea but perhaps we could plan it for 2018 so I can save up a nest egg to make one or two of these purchases a reality.

Hmmm, more post war 100N & 101N ;) Looking for mint (crystal clear ink windows, no brassing, scratches etc. basically NOS) specimens of:

• Black 100N
  • Black 100N Export
  • 101N (Honey tortoise)
  • 101N

Of course others too... But not the Milan or Danzig production ones, just the regular two cap band ones (they look the part for me).

Also on my list, more 140 because they are just lovely writers. Already have two black 140 (nice flexy pre and post war M nibs on those) but really, would like to get more (F, B, BB). Would love a few in Tortoise or MoP but yeah... the 101N come first ;)

I love seeing how others make their lists, thank you all. I know the vintage pens really can't go on a "the next buy will be ..." kind of list because after the most common varieties the wait for the right one to show up can be long. Not sure about you but I pick things up along the way while waiting for the uncommon one.

Don't you just hate it when you get sniped in the last 3 seconds? Most of my bids are reasonable prices based on past sales (I know, how old-fashioned) so when I get sniped I'm more sad about the higher price prints. Seems as if prices are rising right now, but it's Christmas so I should be expecting it. I'll be happy if I see the bids trickle back down a bit over the winter.

A "windfall list"... the grail pens... I usually don't think on them, but for the sake of the thread: a Maki-e, the big Toledo, an old Toledo, and the Gaudi. Can't see myself taking those out of daily finances.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Anyone care to chime in about the one they DO NOT want? :lol:

Right now, that pink stripe just doesn't call my name... a cuckoo in the pelikan nest to me.

Right now, that pink stripe just doesn't call my name... a cuckoo in the pelikan nest to me.

Yeah, the Pink one would be very low in my list of priorities. But my wife on the other hand would love it.

Most of the 7 Wonders of the World and Achievements of Civilization don't do anything for me either, and I believe that I wouldn't buy them even if money were no object.

Yeah, the Pink one would be very low in my list of priorities. But my wife on the other hand would love it.

Most of the 7 Wonders of the World and Achievements of Civilization don't do anything for me either, and I believe that I wouldn't buy them even if money were no object.

I showed the pink one to my wife earlier in the year and she turned her nose up at it also, so we agree on that... and then I showed her the Strese and the Lizard and she loved them ;) soooo, one of these days, after she gets used to having the Streses around we'll have to see if I can find a lizard to follow me home.

And I agree with you on the Wonders and Achievements lines... aren't we glad Pelikan has had so many wonderful ranges in their 80+ years that we can ignore a couple with, er, limited appeal and still find enough to put most of us in the poorhouse before we lose interest :P

Edited by BillH

I actually would have liked one (it was a nice pink, not a kiddie or overly girly shade. But they were too expensive for me, and the M600 size was a tad on the heavy side. :( I keep hoping that in a couple of years they'll show up on eBay at more reasonable prices, but I'd still be a bit concerned about the weight for my hand over that of an M400.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

There are a couple I want to get, most pressingly, the new M405 Anthracite--despite having declared that the M400 is too small for me, recently I've been really enjoying my M400 brown tortoise from the 90's. Speaking of, I wish I had gotten the M400 brown tortoise in September.

All my pen funds have been going to Montblanc lately, so I've even been selling a few Pelikans (blasphemy, I know!)

Pens I want to get besides the M405, which I will probably get next:

-M101N red tortoise -- this is a perfect Christmas pen, in my opinion!

-M605 Marine Blue

-replace the M600 Green o' Green I sold a year ago

-I really think the M805 demo is special and want to get one (the engraved one) before it is impossible to find, but not sure if it is too big for me

-maybe: M400 brown tortoise (2016). I already have one with double rings, but love the grey-orange binde, so may get a second one if they become available from a European vendor

my windfall pens:

-M710 Toledo in yellow and/or red - maybe in a couple years

-vintage 101N tortoise-- you and me both Dr. Codfish always have this on our lists!! I wonder if I will ever bring myself to pay that much for a vintage pen. I worry about the build of the pen holding up over time as it seems a bit fragile...

Edited by oregano

Since I've got two winging in at the moment (a 2016 m400 brown tortoise & a m405 Stresemann,) I can only look to the future.

Dreaming of a future purple binde or smaller raden versions of the Moonlight, Sunlight and Starlight (sigh.)

Edited by eyesa

Agreed. "a cuckoo in the pelikan nest" is an apt description. The white tortoise, while very pretty seems an ink stain magnet as well, but I could be wrong. Being as I have smaller hands, so like smaller pens,I have to pass on many of the limited editions as well. But Pelikan may remedy that in future.

I have "over done" this past few months trying to catch up on the ones I felt I had to find now... so I've managed to gather some of the SE's that were still available and fill a hole or two in the more common finishes. I'm trying to tell myself I'm good until after Christmas.

But that doesn't stop my thinking and planning for next year. Not knowing what Pelikan will present us with in 2017 I can only say I intend to pick up any reasonable SE or LE they make (barring an M1000 pink striper, of course :lol: ). And a 400 or 400NN grey will be "as soon as it presents itself"...

But for regular issue pens I'll plan to acquire, I'd have to say the M800 Blue Stripe and its little brother M400 might probably be next, to go with the M600 I have. And a 600 White Tort to go with the 400 would be cool.

I appreciate all of you playing in here... it helps to hear how others plan and decide. When I first started reading forums (analog cameras and ham radio stuff before pens) I didn't really understand the threads that started "Help me pick my next thing". But I get it now.

I really like M8xx's - but I think I have all the models I want. The demo would be fun, but it would have to be at a very good price.

Let's see what Pelikan comes up with next year ...

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

The pen that I want to add to my small flock is the M1005 demonstrator. Love the look of the Pelikan demos

I have gravitated towards the M8xx line of late and seem to keep adding to the collection with releases of the older limited editions. I suppose if I stay on that track, a clear demo M800 (not engraved) and an M850 in black would be the next two that I'd like to obtain.

I'm having a time trying to decide. Maybe an m800 demonstrator with m nib or an m1000 in black or striped green.

I don't know about the costs of exporting pens from the UK to the US but I recently got my M800 Demo for £350 ($440). Terrible purchase as it has made me want the M1000 Demo

I've had a weak moment and decided to order the M805 demo (no engravings) from the U.K. - I rationalized this purchase by telling myself that the nib will be exchangeable with the Stresemann. When I get it, I'll post pictures in that other thread.

(Feeling kinda happy...)

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I was planning to see if there would be good offers on black m800 or blue striated m805 this years black friday. But I had to use that money on less than 20 grams of titanium, and two pieces of expensive plastic.

I would like to see one of those m450 tortoises in real life, as I suspect that it would remind me too much of one of those old fragrance bottles. I can almost smell... something while seeing pictures of m450's.

New eyeglasses? If so, why titanium rather than tortoise shell frames?

New eyeglasses? If so, why titanium rather than tortoise shell frames?

Yup. Well. They are my first ones, and as I am used to using non-Rx Serengeti Maestrale sunglasses I wanted something light and relatively inconspicuous. I already draw enough attention with my clothing and over all look.

Maybe next time I'll go for something more adventurous.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

There are a couple I want to get, most pressingly, the new M405 Anthracite--despite having declared that the M400 is too small for me, recently I've been really enjoying my M400 brown tortoise from the 90's. Speaking of, I wish I had gotten the M400 brown tortoise in September.

All my pen funds have been going to Montblanc lately, so I've even been selling a few Pelikans (blasphemy, I know!)

Pens I want to get besides the M405, which I will probably get next:

-M101N red tortoise -- this is a perfect Christmas pen, in my opinion!

-M605 Marine Blue

-replace the M600 Green o' Green I sold a year ago

-I really think the M805 demo is special and want to get one (the engraved one) before it is impossible to find, but not sure if it is too big for me

-maybe: M400 brown tortoise (2016). I already have one with double rings, but love the grey-orange binde, so may get a second one if they become available from a European vendor

my windfall pens:

-M710 Toledo in yellow and/or red - maybe in a couple years

-vintage 101N tortoise-- you and me both Dr. Codfish always have this on our lists!! I wonder if I will ever bring myself to pay that much for a vintage pen. I worry about the build of the pen holding up over time as it seems a bit fragile...

"vintage 101N tortoise-- you and me both Dr. Codfish always have this on our lists!! I wonder if I will ever bring myself to pay that much for a vintage pen. I worry about the build of the pen holding up over time as it seems a bit fragile.."

Thus my sneaky strategy of postponing a trip to the LA Pen show until next winter. I am in serious saving mode with the hope that such a pen will present itself and I can also work the deal of the century. Though my wife will gasp to see that a single little old pen could cost as much as round trip air fare from Seattle or Portland to LA. As for the fragility, I am sure you have seen (as I have) plenty of pens with age related damage offered. My assumption is that those that are in good shape will probably remain so with normal use. It would be a user for me but it would not be a traveler.

Have faith Oregano, your pen is lurking out there somewhere.

Seems for me I set out to get my hands on a nice vintage Pelikan and end up with a deal falling into my lap. Though the two I just found could be considered not new.

M100 in Blue and an M205 in Green (pre-97)I picked up from the classifieds here.

Maybe next time I'll stick to the plan and buy the older ones instead LOL!

The pen, is truly mightier than the sword!