New Member From Connecticut With A P51

Stinch

Hi Everyone

Recently my Mom gave me her USA made Parker 51 Aerometric fountain and Jotter ballpoint pen set with 270-M case. It was given to her new as a gift by my Dad before they were married in 1956. He had purchased it while serving in the USAF in England. I recall the fountain pen from my youth but it hasn't worked for as long as I can remember.

When I got the set last week, I immediately started learning about the fountain pen. Soon found it was an standard Aerometric pen in Burgundy. While the pen is not dated, it was likely produced in 1955/56 since the Jotter ballpoint was introduced in 1955 (or so I understand, some sources say 1954 for the Jotter). The 12k gold filled cap is in good shape with no dents or major scratches and has the "Made in USA" impression.

Unfortunately the pen was found in two pieces. Someone had apparently gotten too aggressive taking the barrel off. The section (or connector/coupler) was broken at the hood opening. Dried ink had clogged most of the pen including the barrel threads. After a lot of reading and watching YouTube videos, I was able to get it disassembled with water and cleaned up. The gold nib and other parts are in great condition. The stainless steel sac cage states "press 4 times".

Getting the remaining piece of section out of the hood was a challenge. I used hot water to heat up the hood treads and pressed the point of a pick partially into the broken end. It took a few cycles and some patience but I was able to get the piece to back out without damage to the hood or feeder. Can't say this technique is good all the time but it did work. An O-ring came out with the section piece and the hood has the recess for the O-ring. The plastic feeder tube measures about 31 mm from where it enters the feeder.

Hopefully I'll find a replacement section from a parts pen or other source. It looks exactly like the sold out part on David Nishimura web site. Mine measures 29mm without the sac and has 5 fine threads on the feeder end and 6 fine threads on the sac end.

http://www.vintagepens.com/images/cat/parts/6704.jpg

Looking to have some fun and own a few more of these great writing instruments.

Cheers

Rich

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stinch

• jar

• Wahl

• Beauport

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. You are lucky that there is a Parker 51 Whisperer in your neighborhood named Brad Torelli. Get in touch with him and tell hime your tale.

My Website

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. I'm sure you will enjoy your time here Rich, and you have a nice pen.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and welcome from Indiana!

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

Hello, Rich, and welcome to the Fountain Pen Network. Glad you have joined us. This is now your place as much as it is ours. Please don't be shy. Ask all the questions you have and don't hesitate to state your opinions. I hope you enjoy your time here.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome !

I hope you can get you Parker 51 repaired and restored to service. It is a special one.

Even if the desired section is not available, one of another color would be covered by the cap, excpe while in use by you, and seen only by you. Another color replacement can be installed later.

Good hunting.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Welcome to the group. You're one of us now. Feel free to jump into any conversation or ask whatever comes to mind.

It sounds like you've done some respectable research on your P-51. Keep asking here. You'll need a section that takes an o ring in order to keep your original hood. You can buy new 'o' rings. When looking for a parts pen, It's tough to tell which pens have 'o' rings on eBay. Best to stick with the guys here. You might also check pentooling.com, and of course vintagepens.com. You might be able to find a parts pen that you can canabalize.

Keep us posted. Welcome again, enjoy.

Thanks for all the welcomes. Turns out what I thought was a Jotter is actually a Liquid Lead pen. And it still writes but plan not to use it since refills are not available. Lots of great information here and I'll be sure to post more questions.