Alt-Goldgrun - Rohrer & Klingner

visvamitra

Rohrer & Klingner operates since 1892. At the moment it's the fifth generation of the family that manages the company. I guess that after 122 years they know what they are doing.

R&K inks offer amazing quality for amazing price. In my country a bnottle of R&K ink costs 5-6 $. I know it's a bit more expensive in America, yet I believe the price is still reasonable.

I find it interesting that Rohrer & Klingner seems to focus mainly on the content and not on the bottles. Inks come in industrial looking bottle taht is quite handy but there's just nothing fancy about it. It's surprising.

http://www.rohrer-klingner.de/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/schreibtinte_top_03.jpg

Anyway they offer eighteen colors, some stunning, some boring but all have good qualities and are easy to clean.

http://imageshack.com/a/img742/3085/WHCjxM.jpg

1. Alt-bordeaux
  2. Alt-Goldgrun
  3. Blu Mare
  4. Blue Permanent
  5. Cassia
  6. Fernambuc
  7. Helianthus
  8. Leipziger-Schwarz
  9. Magenta
  10. Morinda
  11. Royal Blue
  12. Salix
  13. Scabiosa
  14. Sepia
  15. Smaragdgrun
  16. Solferino
  17. Verdigris
  18. Verdura

It's time to re-review this inks.

fpn_1479565808__altgoldgrun_is.jpg

Alt-Goldgrun is one of my all time favourite inks and one of few I've actually managed to use full bottle. Depending on the pen and nib and paper you use effect may vary. One thing is sure though - this ink is still quite unique. Sure, may companies decided to add complex yellow-greens to their lines but I believe Rohrer & Klingner ALt-Goldgrun was one of first such colors on the market.

The ink feels very wet and offers great shading. If you look for water resistance in the ink, this one will disappoint you. Apart from that I can only write about it in superlatives. I've heard some people had problem with it feathering but I haven't experienced such misbehaviour.

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1479565751__rk_ag_22.jpg

Chromatography

fpn_1479572862__v8cbmq.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1479572483__altgoldgrun_rk_l_3.jpg

Color Range

fpn_1479572490__altgoldgrun_rk_l_4.jpg

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Claasic Sport, B

fpn_1479565719__altgoldgrun_rk_tomoe_1.j

fpn_1479565726__altgoldgrun_rk_tomoe_2.j

fpn_1479565734__altgoldgrun_rk_tomoe_3.j

Leuchtturm1917, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1479572464__altgoldgrun_rk_l_1.jpg

fpn_1479572473__altgoldgrun_rk_l_2.jpg

fpn_1479572499__altgoldgrun_rk_l_5.jpg

Kokuyo Campus Myo, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1479565694__altgoldgrun_rk_kokuyo_1.

fpn_1479565703__altgoldgrun_rk_kokuyo_2.

fpn_1479565712__altgoldgrun_rk_kokuyo_3.

Edited by visvamitra

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• minddance

• fountainpagan

• GranTorino25

Great review as always. I really must get some of this colour.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

It was probably my first murky green ink & I hate to admit it caused such joy that I chased about trying others & actually had to dig about in the cupboard this morning to fill a pen after reading your REreview! I am ashamed to have avoided it. It is now in my first Noodler's pen, an Apache Tortoise Ahab, which I actually dumped a fill of ink, from only a few days, because I knew it would be the perfect match for the pen. I have had some feathers with the obvious flex nib on common paper but none on Tomoe River.

Thank you for REminding me about this old favorite!

This has been an excellent match for my Pelikan M450 Vermeil Green Tortoise.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Great review of one of my favorite ink colors. If I used B or M nibs, I'd use it constantly. Since I don't, it doesn't get used as often.

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

Noodler's Army is better, in my opinion..

I haven't tried the original formula, only the revised version that was apparently a lot less yellow.

While I liked Alt-Goldgrun okay, I actually preferred KWZI Green-Gold.

Vismamitra, thanks as always for the review, though.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Another good review. Thanks Vis.

In theory I really like Alt-Goldgrün, but it has usually disappointed me in use. It feathers and can look really thin, flat and boring.

So despite my general dislike of Noodler's inks (I have a fractious relationship with them :-/ ) I agree with @sabin about preferring Army Green.

Verba volant, scripta manent

This has been an excellent match for my Pelikan M450 Vermeil Green Tortoise.

Also recommended for the M400 white tortoise - matches the binde as though that was the intention.

• 11 months later...

I never got this this ink to write so legibly and as dark as the photos, not even in m1000f, which writes quite wet, unless I primed the feed. By default, every pen I own won't produce such dark lines. Perhaps I need to examine my pen collection.

I bought a sample of this ink purely based on this review, didn't think I'd like it but it's now one of my top few inks!

I had very high expectations for this ink, since I really like how it looks in others' reviews on-line. Unfortunately in my experience, it only looks good with a soft nib italic dip pen :( That one lays down enough ink to make Alt Goldgrun appear more saturated/darker. In one of my usual pens (Omas with a custom cursive italic nib), the ink line is a super pale olive-lime green, really light. It's still a nice color, but just too pale for me (just as Iro Fuyu Syogun is a lovely color but was also a disappointment in how pale and watery it is).

Edited to add: I actually like the R&K bottle design. Functional dark glass, nice clean label design, and a very nice looking matte brushed aluminum cap.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Also recommended for the M400 white tortoise - matches the binde as though that was the intention.

+1 :) I also like to use this ink in my M400 white tortoise for the same reason. :D

• 3 months later...

A super wet pen is absolutely required for the ink to be legible. Try this ink in a Platinum or Pilot fine/medium and it would turn out utterly disappointing.