Internal Workings Of Lever Filler (Please Help)

queerspaceman

I recently found a vintage BCHR lever filler at an estate sale and decided to try to restore it (i posted earlier about this). The lever seemed to be stuck halfway in, and I couldn't get it out. I eventually got it- but now I'm even more confused. Any advice would be extremely appreciated.

I got out what I thought was the lever- and I don't think that's what it was after all. I'm guessing the lever is missing altogether and what I thought was the lever is something else all together.

http://imgur.com/mXegDCc

you can see above what I thought was a lever and turned out not to be as well as the J-bar that I pulled out.

Here are all of the parts:

And just because if anyone has any idea who may have made this pen, the nib and chasing pattern:
If anyone has ideas about
-who made the pen
-what I need to do to restore it
-what parts I need
-where I can find them
that would be much appreciated!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• queerspaceman

• linearM

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest you go to http://www.richardspens.com do a search for 'pressure bar' and look at the first response, removing and installing levers. You have done the first part already. Now it's a matter of finding a replacement lever. And while you are at it removing the feed and nib and cleaning everything up, and afterwards installing a new sac and pressure bar (the part you thought was the lever). The pressure bar distributes the pressure on the ink sac to get the maximum effect from the lever. How is the nib? Is it in good alignment, any crack around the breather hole, and how is the tipping. You have a lot to do and a good chance to learn about pen repair. Richard's Pens has is a great source of how to information.

I just purchased a Parker Duofold that is going to need a lot of work to get it where I want it. Looks like you are joining the club! I couldn't quite read what was engraved on the nib so couldn't help you with identification.

I would suggest you go to http://www.richardspens.com do a search for 'pressure bar' and look at the first response, removing and installing levers. You have done the first part already. Now it's a matter of finding a replacement lever. And while you are at it removing the feed and nib and cleaning everything up, and afterwards installing a new sac and pressure bar (the part you thought was the lever). The pressure bar distributes the pressure on the ink sac to get the maximum effect from the lever. How is the nib? Is it in good alignment, any crack around the breather hole, and how is the tipping. You have a lot to do and a good chance to learn about pen repair. Richard's Pens has is a great source of how to information.

I just purchased a Parker Duofold that is going to need a lot of work to get it where I want it. Looks like you are joining the club! I couldn't quite read what was engraved on the nib so couldn't help you with identification.

I'll do that- Thanks for the explaination!

The nib appears to be in good shape, no holes and a good amount of flex. It says "SOLID X GOLD"

Yep, this is the first pen i've restored. I'm having fun so far!

Just out of curiosity is there a number designation on the end of the barrel or engraved name on the barrel itself? The engraving on the barrel may be difficult to read unless you use a loupe, or there may be none.

Just out of curiosity is there a number designation on the end of the barrel or engraved name on the barrel itself? The engraving on the barrel may be difficult to read unless you use a loupe, or there may be none.

no, there's no engraving, number, or imprint.