Faber Castell Basic—A Quick Review Of A Horrible Pen

mhphoto

Quick Review:

post-76584-0-09358100-1478708516_thumb.jpg

I've had two of these, and they've both fallen apart. In multiples ways. The plastic bodies have snapped in two, one clip broken off, etc. And these have only been used as desk pens…

I am extremely disappointed.

That is all.

:wallbash:

Edited by mhphoto

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pickwick

• s_t_e_v_e

• jar

• mhphoto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:( I'm sorry for you.

My metal Basic has been an excellent workhorse.

Perhaps popping the nibs and feed into another pen may help salvage something from your mishaps.

(I never trusted that carbon fibre body)

they are cheap pens ...

So are Noodler's and Pilot Metros, but 20+ Noodler's and 5+ Metros later and non have snapped in have from gentle desk use. And $35 is getting out of cheap pen range. At least for me.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Well - I have a Basic for more than a year and nothing bad ever occured in this pne. Anyway you should make a clame, even though these are cheap.

++

Contact Faber Castell re: the problem. I have the same model which I use very little. It has a tiny crack in the section. They told me to send it in (at my expense of course) and after reviewing it they might replace the section.

They also told me they would only honor any claim if I ONLY USED F-C ink!!

Needless to say, at $30+/ bottle I still have the pen at home and use it occasionally.

Either way, good luck.

Edited by brgmarketing

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

They seem to display interesting logic :). Ink that doesn't even touch plastic thread can make it brittle. Also I'm interested in the way they intend to check if one used only F-C ink? Will they check every pen and ink remnants with spectrometer ?

I haven't expected someone would receive such answer from Faber-Castell.

TWSBI cusomer service rocks and other makers should learn from them.

They seem to display interesting logic :). Ink that doesn't even touch plastic thread can make it brittle. Also I'm interested in the way they intend to check if one used only F-C ink? Will they check every pen and ink remnants with spectrometer ?

I haven't expected someone would receive such answer from Faber-Castell.

TWSBI cusomer service rocks and other makers should learn from them.

Yes, I was quite surprised at their response. A little research (here on FPN, I think) told me that it is not unusual for the section to "crack" around the nib "insert". At this time I simply use the pen when I want to and may end up offering it for sale with a full disclosure. It is the carbon fiber model with an EF nib and does write when in my experience.

BTW, my experience with TWSBI has also been quite good on the two occasions when assistance was needed. My favorite TWSBI was a stubbed 580 with a broad nib from Pendleton Brown. Got it three years ago and still love using it. Most recently was this morning for a journal entry.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

++

Contact Faber Castell re: the problem. I have the same model which I use very little. It has a tiny crack in the section. They told me to send it in (at my expense of course) and after reviewing it they might replace the section.

They also told me they would only honor any claim if I ONLY USED F-C ink!!

Needless to say, at $30+/ bottle I still have the pen at home and use it occasionally.

Either way, good luck.

Crafty companies like Fa-Ca are encroaching upon our freedom by saying such things. Maybe they're incapable of producing pens that can handle fountain pen inks from other manufacturers (which are mostly cheaper and better) and thus, in my opinion, should stick to making pencils. But wait, they aren't perfect at that either.

It's rather annoying that some companies indulge in such customer unfriendly practices. I think, Fa-Ca should simply replace both pens just as a goodwill gesture. The simple fact that you care enough to use their pens and reached out to them for help says that you are interested in their products and they should acknowledge that. Or maybe they really don't want your business. These cheap plastic pens would barely cost less than $10 for Fa-Ca to replace and acting arrogant about it is so off-putting. They could use some advice on Customer Service or maybe have the right people handle that department.

I have had some issues with F-C pens. But I have had (so far) extraordinary after service from them. I am somewhat surprised to read some of these stories on this thread. As for only using FC ink, how would they even really know? You think they bother to test for that? Heck they don't even make their own ink anyway.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I have had some issues with F-C pens. But I have had (so far) extraordinary after service from them. I am somewhat surprised to read some of these stories on this thread. As for only using FC ink, how would they even really know? You think they bother to test for that? Heck they don't even make their own ink anyway.

Amen Brother, Preach the Gospel.

My Website

Crafty companies like Fa-Ca are encroaching upon our freedom by saying such things. Maybe they're incapable of producing pens that can handle fountain pen inks from other manufacturers (which are mostly cheaper and better) and thus, in my opinion, should stick to making pencils. But wait, they aren't perfect at that either.

It's rather annoying that some companies indulge in such customer unfriendly practices. I think, Fa-Ca should simply replace both pens just as a goodwill gesture. The simple fact that you care enough to use their pens and reached out to them for help says that you are interested in their products and they should acknowledge that. Or maybe they really don't want your business. These cheap plastic pens would barely cost less than $10 for Fa-Ca to replace and acting arrogant about it is so off-putting. They could use some advice on Customer Service or maybe have the right people handle that department.

This company has been in business for over 250 years. The OP stated his pen "Has fallen apart", without giving any details as to how this actually came about. As to Faber Castell refusing to carry out repairs unless their ink was used does stretch the bounds of credulity to a high degree, unless of course proof can be shown that the company did actually state this.

What we are getting here is individuals jumping to conclusions just on statements being made without showing facts. This would never be admissible in a court of law.

Edited by Pickwick

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

This company has been in business for over 250 years. The OP stated his pen "Has fallen apart", without giving any details as to how this actually came about. As to Faber Castell refusing to carry out repairs unless their ink was used does stretch the bounds of credulity to a high degree, unless of course proof can be shown that the company did actually state this.

What we are getting here is individuals jumping to conclusions just on statements being made without showing facts. This would never be admissible in a court of law.

Remember these were desk pens too so never subjected to any stress and then jess came apart.

My Website

Remember these were desk pens too so never subjected to any stress and then jess came apart.

My dear friend, that reminded me when I was a boy and once broke an object, then claiming to my dad that it had just fallen apart. He replied, "Oh, I see it fell apart in your hands!"

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

My dear friend, that reminded me when I was a boy and once broke an object, then claiming to my dad that it had just fallen apart. He replied, "Oh, I see it fell apart in your hands!"

Yup. Jess came apart right there in River City.

Hate it when that happens.

My Website

Well, you're lucky that it has never happened to you.

I'm inclined to believe the OP because this has happened to me albeit on a pen from another manufacturer and it was graciously replaced even though the pen was way out of warranty, no questions asked.

My point is that, there should be a degree of trust between the manufacturer and the buyer because if someone cares enough to buy their products, manufacturers should at least acknowledge and express concern that the issue happened at all. The response from Fa-Ca sounds like they don't care much ("after reviewing it they might replace the section"). To me, the response should've been,

"it is unfortunate that our product did not meet your expectations. We will gladly replace/repair it for you after you send in the faulty product. We will investigate the matter further to ensure such issues don't happen in future."

I think it is fair to assume that a company that has been around for 250 years is willing to stand by their products and understand that such things can happen. A few bucks of goodwill would keep the customer happy and they are more likely to remain a customer. Of course if just a couple of people are intentionally damaging the pen and asking for replacement every couple of months, then that matter can be handled differently. Here, that doesn't seem to be the case.

And the thing about using only their inks, we all know why that is so.

I don't believe that being in business for 250 years is an indicator of good customer service or maintaining same level of quality in the fountain pen world. The quality on their high end GvFC pens might be high but we're talking about cheap entry level pens. Take Parker, for example, their Duofolds are great pens but the Vector is a hit or a miss.