Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Kinda Happy I Only Got The Sample

Inkedinker

So my Kara Kustom finally ran out of ink (and let me tell you before Fountain Pens, I was never happy about a pen running out of ink!), and I had recently ordered several samples. Well the one I chose to put in the Kara was Diamine Oxblood. Well, as I knew I was going to run out of ink, I started looking around to see what other reds were out there. I saw the Vampire Red and I started to excited when I saw the comparison. So I rinsed my nib let it dry and then put the Oxblood in. Here was the result.

post-132566-0-74156500-1478646183_thumb.jpg

The pen, is truly mightier than the sword!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uncial

• chromantic

• Inkedinker

• CrispyBacon_87

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This stuff is more purple than red in my book. So as this stuff runs out, I am hoping to have the Vampire Red in. So far not a fan of running several color families at the same time, but maybe willing to make an exception once the Vampire Red comes in.

I was hoping that was the case. Didn't look anything like the samples I saw reviewed

I had the same issue. I bought an entire bottle directly from Diamine and it didn't look like any pictures from online. I gave the whole bottle away :(

It's gotta be poor quality control...

Yeah I'm not impressed. I have a sample of the Red Dragon too and I am interested in how far off that is. The good think about the Oxblood is it's a good ink. It's comparable in quality as my Waterman bottle I got for my restoration.

I did get some Vampire Red Private Reserve ordered; I am hoping for better results there.

That does seem awfully red for Oxblood. Maybe a little water still in the feed? I find it usually takes a day or two after flushing a pen for the new ink's color to come up to full strength.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

'I rinsed my nib and let it dry' doesn't always mean that all traces of the previous ink were removed from the feed. So, what was the previous ink in the pen?

The previous ink was Montblanc black cartridge. I flushed the nib unit with warm water and soap using a rubber bulb and then let it sit in warm water (that obviously went cool) for 4-5 hours. I then dried on paper towel with the vent hole in contact with paper towel and slightly elevated to encourage the left over water to come out. I let that sit over night and this test here was after 2 full pages of writing. I still have some left in the pen and it hasn't changed.

I suspect some of Diamine's samples might be mis-labelled. I was sent a sample of Wild Strawberry and it was enough for three fills in three different pens. Out of all three it was more or less the same (barr wetness) and came out a really deep and rich red with only a tiny bit of shading. On the back of the sample I bought a bottle only to discover a radical difference - the ink in the bottle was a very light and bright red; nice, but not at all what I'd been expecting. I think I may have put a thread up about it on here somewhere.

You're written sample here looks awfully like Red Dragon to me.

I did get a sample of Red Dragon as well. I think I got these ones from Anderson Pens. Maybe I'll wait to catalog them into an ink library until I can confirm what they are for sure.