Wing Sung 698 Vs Twsbi Eco - Battle Of The Republic

Inky.Fingers

Wing Sung 698 & TWSBI Eco

- Piston Filler (different design)

- Steel Nib (Eco - more choices of nibs +1)

- Plastic casing (Eco - have a better plastic feel & more clear plastic, but still plastics... you know, the brittle, unsavory type.)

- Design similar

Differences

Wing Sung 698

- Nib section can be unscrew +1

- No tools needed for disassembly +1

- Transparent Fee (a matter of preference, since demo are demos --> +1)

- Holds more ink (extension to the end of the barrel) +1

- Price cheaper by $20USD when you shop smart +20

TWSBI Eco

- Difficult to re-assemble the piston for alignments. (-1)

- Threaded blind cap (+1)

30603767382_c5e10324eb_c.jpg

30603762812_dc1a03a327_c.jpg

30603753572_325133051f_c.jpg

How does it write? I don't know, and I don't bother with steel nibs. I like my broad edged nibs, home ground to perfection.

Both pens will be used for donation for other nib sections that I have interest in.

Edited by _InkyFingers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inky.Fingers

• Seele

• Jamerelbe

• J_MM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for your post InkyFingers. Do you think you can you swap a #5 Jowo or Bock nib into the Wing Sung, or you need something similar to a Pilot Plumix, 78G, Metropolitan or Prera nib as a replacement nib?

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

The cheapest I can find one on eBay is US$20 - which admittedly is still cheaper when you factor in postage. How are you managing to save $20 on the purchase - or would you rather not say...? [For that price, I'll happily put in an order!]

I thought the wingsung was inspired by the twsbi diamond 580 and not the eco. Am I wrong?

Judging from the aesthetics I'd say so - but in terms of price point, it's closer to the Eco...

Would you be willing to ink them both up and show us the larger capacity of the Wing-Sung and how the ink looks near the feed?

I would also like to know whether the Wing Sung uses Pilot 78G clone nib & feeds, and also hw well it posts?

The Wing Sung 698 is compatible with Pilot "Super Quality" nibs, same as the Wing Sung 659. This includes F/M from the Metropolitan/Kakuno/Prera, EF from the Penmanship, medium italic from the Plumix/Prera, and B/BB italics from the 78G (though the feed may not be able to keep up with the latter).

The pen posts fine but you can accidentally turn the piston nob so I wouldn't suggest doing so. That said it's a long-ish pen at ~13CM/5.1" unposted so it shouldn't be necessary for most people. It also comes with a little stoppered converter filled with silicon grease for maintenance.

Edit: I should note that I measured the ink capacity at ~1.6ml. Pretty good if you ask me.

Edited by jekostas

30693330561_5fd2141fdf.jpg

Regular Fill: Dipped & twist.

Max Fill: Dipped & Twist; Invert the pen; Expelled air; Dipped & Twist.

I was surprised of this outcome....Way to go Eco! But price-wise....698 ANYTIME.

Really .. Neither of these pen will perform as well as my Sheaffer Sterling Triumph....because the nib was modified to my liking :P

30146184023_433e14bbec.jpg30146182803_b3a95824c6.jpg30693328461_08871e6dbe.jpg30693327791_a6ce9421a8.jpg

Edited by _InkyFingers

I've just ordered a Wing Sung 659 - it was 1/3 the price, though it's not a piston filler, and I thought a better place to dive in to the brand. Good to hear that it's compatible with Pilot Metro/Plumix/Penmanship etc!

It's actually quite a surprise to see a piston filler from the mainland, as it's not a particularly common type; the last piston filler I am aware of was by Ta Tung which, of course, was acquired by Wing Sung.

While TWSBI favours a piston mechanism of regular type, requiring the wrench to disassemble, I do not know what the Wing Sung 698 uses: is it a clutchless type similar to the Nib Creaper and Konrad?

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

While TWSBI favours a piston mechanism of regular type, requiring the wrench to disassemble, I do not know what the Wing Sung 698 uses: is it a clutchless type similar to the Nib Creaper and Konrad?

The piston mechanism isn't screwed in to the barrel, it's kept in place by a screw down metal trim ring (visible in Inkyfingers' photos). It's not a clutchless mechanism, but it's different from TWSBI's design.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to say I ordered one when I saw this thread and it arrived late last week, I got around to testing it yesterday and was immediately impressed - the standard F nib was incredibly smooth and a joy to write with straight away, no messing with Micromesh or anything The price (after USD to GBP conversion) meant that it was just about 57% what a TWSBI Eco retails for in the UK (£28). I have a TWSBI Eco with a 1.1 nib so it is hard to compare directly, but the Hero 698 is a big step up in quality and feel from the 659 (which I also have) .

Right now, I'm enjoying the Hero nib so much I am not tempted to try and replace with a Pilot nib. So much, in fact, that I've just ordered another in EF.

Just to say I ordered one when I saw this thread and it arrived late last week, I got around to testing it yesterday and was immediately impressed - the standard F nib was incredibly smooth and a joy to write with straight away, no messing with Micromesh or anything The price (after USD to GBP conversion) meant that it was just about 57% what a TWSBI Eco retails for in the UK (£28). I have a TWSBI Eco with a 1.1 nib so it is hard to compare directly, but the Hero 698 is a big step up in quality and feel from the 659 (which I also have) .

Right now, I'm enjoying the Hero nib so much I am not tempted to try and replace with a Pilot nib. So much, in fact, that I've just ordered another in EF.

garyc,

Interesting to know that the F nib on yours works to your satisfaction.

While I am waiting for mine to arrive (which I ordered in a rather convoluted manner), it's probably a good place for me to add that the revived Wing Sung brand, at least as instanced by this 698 and the C/C 659, are actually made by a Hero subsidiary, so I cannot tell if the nibs themselves are made at Hero's own facilities.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

That's interesting about the Hero subsidiary. My experience up until with Hero has been with their Parker 51 simulations and the nibs on those have been quite different - they invariably require work of some kind to get them to write well. I may well revisit the 659 as I don't think I have even dip tested that one, let alone inked it up properly.

I have quite a few in the Pilot line - 78G, Prera, Pluminix and MR and liked particularly both their F and italic nibs. The 698 took me by surprise that it wrote so well 'out of the box'. I'll try and find time to give the 659 a go tonight.