Jump to content

Celluloid - How To Identify



Recommended Posts

Which pens are made out of celluloid ?

a.) Montblanc 14 xeries 

b.) Leonardo Momento zero ?

c.) Visconti Van Gogh 
d.) Leonardo Mirage

e.) Pilot Custom 823

f.) Pelikans 2,6, 8 and 1 series 

 

Thanks for the inputs.

 

C

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • FriendAmos

    12

  • ItwasLuck

    7

  • fabri00

    4

  • Vintagepens

    4

Celluloid is almost  not available any more today.

None of the pens you listed is made with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

that's good to know!!!! so these modern pens are not too sensitive to heat or humidity, etc ??

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
jchch1950
3 hours ago, fabri00 said:

Celluloid is almost  not available any more today.

None of the pens you listed is made with it.

Good news. We  will not have to wonder if the material of the new pens will  be destroying by itself in the near future?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, capri777 said:

that's good to know!!!! so these modern pens are not too sensitive to heat or humidity, etc ??

 

The MB 14x series had some celluloid pens in the 1950s, but I assume that the OP was referring to the modern ones. Leonardo Momento Zero has some limited edition pens made of celluloid, which usually have an uptick of at least €200 in price.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have hundred of pens in celluloid  in my collection, 50 or 60 years old and in perfect conditions.

Good celluloid can hold for decades without problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, capri777 said:

Which pens are made out of celluloid ?

a.) Montblanc 14 xeries 

b.) Leonardo Momento zero ?

c.) Visconti Van Gogh 
d.) Leonardo Mirage

e.) Pilot Custom 823

f.) Pelikans 2,6, 8 and 1 series 

 

Thanks for the inputs.

 

C

I have several Leonardo's in Celluloid.  I think they have all been limited runs so should be pretty easy to figure out if the pen is celluloid or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2021 at 8:34 PM, fabri00 said:

I have hundred of pens in celluloid  in my collection, 50 or 60 years old and in perfect conditions.

Good celluloid can hold for decades without problems.

@fabri00That's very nice. I favour celluloid over all other material. The beauty of celluloid overcompensates the overall risks. With knowledge our odds can be even further improved. I also have not had any problems with my celluloid pens but I do know some models are more known for failure. It doesn't mean that I will just totally avoid it, I will just be more careful from whom I buy it from and be more scrutinising with the overall condition. Another thing that I appreciate about celluloid pens is that it takes much longer to make one, because of curing in between the processes etc. Such knowledge and even patience are more scarce now, which makes me like it even more. No one can eliminate all risks in life. If we did, it would be no fun 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, como said:

@fabri00That's very nice. I favour celluloid over all other material. The beauty of celluloid overcompensates the overall risks. With knowledge our odds can be even further improved. I also have not had any problems with my celluloid pens but I do know some models are more known for failure. It doesn't mean that I will just totally avoid it, I will just be more careful from whom I buy it from and be more scrutinising with the overall condition. Another thing that I appreciate about celluloid pens is that it takes much longer to make one, because of curing in between the processes etc. Such knowledge and even patience are more scarce now, which makes me like it even more. No one can eliminate all risks in life. If we did, it would be no fun 😀

 

 

👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...