Thoughts On The 1005 Targa?

Toraaki

I recently bought a Mint 1005 Targa and although it's quite beautiful, I would like to know your opinion about it.

Thank you!

We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine, and the machine is bleeding to death.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Toraaki

• sexauerw

• FerDS

• mitto

I really like this model. Targas are known as great writers, typically very smooth. There were about 90 different colors and patterns produced and I believe that the 1005 was the model manufactured in the greatest quantity. It was one of the few models produced throughout the entire period of production of the Targa line, 1976 to 1998.

Do's and don'ts:

The Targa inlaid nibs are glued to the section. Some nibs may be a bit springy or soft, tempting the user to use some pressure to get some line variation. Over time, this can weaken the glue bond and cause ink leakage around the perimeter of the nib. I would avoid this practice, just let the weight of the pen provide the pressure needed for ink to flow onto the paper, you shouldn't need more pressure than that.

The gold plating on the body of the pen is very thin. Excessive polishing can wear through the gold to the underlying brass relatively quickly, so polish lightly and infrequently, if at all. Also, make sure to store the pen in a dry place to avoid corrosion. I've seen a number of these pens with tiny black spots on them, although I have 11 of them and there are no black spots on any of my pens. Proper storage does make a difference.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

Thank you so much for the great info!
I'm pretty in love already with this pen, but my brother said that I should keep it uninked since it's totally new.

I'm in a bit of a conundrum here!
Thank you so much again!

We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine, and the machine is bleeding to death.

I'm pretty in love already with this pen, but my brother said that I should keep it uninked since it's totally new.

Well,

consider the fact that not always brothers give good suggestions :) . I think this is one of that cases.

The Targas have fantastic nibs that deserve to be used.

Alfredo

It's a great model (but you can't go wrong with any other Targa, too) and I definitely recommend using it. They are a pleasure to write. Why not keep it some more weeks for looking at it and then start writing with it?

Greetings,

Michael

Thanks for the suggestion guys, I think I will totally use it.

One of the true classic pens. It straddles new and modern but seems comfortable in both eras. My favorite pen. Hey there are MORE Targas out there with YOUR name on them!

skyppere

In my opinion, Sheaffer Targa should be outlawed as an addictive item. Like rabbits, they don't remain single for long, and before you know it they are all over the place. :D

Great pen, one of my favorite fountain pens. Enjoy it.

Dan

In my opinion, Sheaffer Targa should be outlawed as an addictive item. Like rabbits, they don't remain single for long, and before you know it they are all over the place. :D

Great pen, one of my favorite fountain pens. Enjoy it.

Tell me about it. I have something like 145 of them! And that's just counting the fountain pens. There are a bunch of ballpoints and pencils in the collection too.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

I have two Sheaffer Targas and I really like using them. If you were talking about a highly decorative writing instrument that cost thousands and would considerably decrease in value once it was used, then you might consider not using it.

I see no reason at all to not use a Sheaffer Targa though. Enjoy it, it's a great pen. :)

Yes! I will totally use it.

I'm in love with my vintage sheaffers, they're all pretty awesome writers.

Thank you so much for the great info!

I'm in a bit of a conundrum here!

Thank you so much again!

I'm not a huge fan of modern cartridge-converter pens, but the Targa is one of the few exceptions to the rule. I have several and they're all great writers. While having an un-inked pen adds something to its value, these are not rare pens, so the price premium over a used one isn't going to be all that great. Use it and enjoy it is my advice.

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

A Targa was the first good Fountain Pen I received as a gift. It will always remain special to me as my then girlfriend, now wife, gave it to me as a Graduation present from college, over thirty years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, I started using it a week ago and it's a delightful nib, maybe the smoothest I have!
I don't regret inking it and writing with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have around 35 Targas. I dont remember how many of these are the 1005 finish. The cheapest NOS 1005 that I bought was this one:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/299011-did-i-do-the-right-thing/?do=findComment&comment=3485033

I havent inked this one as yet not because I want to keep it uninked on purpose but because I have so many others I am using. Targas are among the best C/C Sheaffers.

Khan M. Ilyas

• 5 months later...

yes, it turned to be an amazing smooth-writing pen.