Namisu Nova Sandblasted Titanium (Ti Nib)

R531

So, here's my latest acquisition. The Namisu Nova pen, made from sandblasted titanium, with a Bock EF titanium nib :

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o594/keirwilliams98/DSC_0175_zpszcobk7aa.jpg

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o594/keirwilliams98/Nova-Bead-Side_f3f67538-9657-4d73-826d-743404a4a11d_1024x1024_zpsdeqxiwr7.jpg

This is my first pen that is from Namisu, and my first pen that originated on Kickstarter.

They had made the pen in Aluminium and brushed Ti before, but this finish was new, and I thought it was about time to check out their pens. I also like that they are from Fife in Scotland, where I have family. I preordered the pen in September, and it arrived the next day after shipping. It came in a simple slide out box, with nothing apart from the pen and converter. No ink cartridges were included, which I find a little odd, although that doesn't bother me as I use bottled ink.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o594/keirwilliams98/namisuuncapped_zpss7hnpm2t.jpg

The pen is beautifully made; there are no machining marks, and the finish is consistent across the body. The section is polished but not to the extent where it is remotely slippery(the Lamy studio comes to mind) and tapers slightly towards the nib. There is quite a step between the section and the body but it is not sharp. I prefer to hold the pen further back, nearer the threads as it is slightly back heavy, and it is still comfortable there.

The pen is not light, at 40g capped and 30g uncapped, this is not for you if you're a fan of lightweight resin pens, although it is comfortable for long writing sessions. The pen does not post, but if it did, the pen would be extremely unbalanced.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o594/keirwilliams98/namisusectionnib_zpsfmdklglr.jpg

The nib is available in several options. For a lower price, a steel Bock #6 nib is used in sizes EF,M or B, and with a higher price, a titanium nib in EF or M. I opted for the ti EF nib. I think it is a little odd not to include a Fine grade, and I think the option of a gold nib would be nice, considering that Bock make gold nibs in the #6 size.

The nib is the first ti nib I have used; it is wonderful. Out of the box it was wet and smooth, although 10 seconds on micro mesh brought it to the level of smoothness that I like. It is soft, and I think that it could easily be sprung with a heavy hand. With a light touch however, you can create juicy line variation from EF to BB without railroading. It never hard starts and doesn't skip, even with the fastest speed of writing. I would say that it is rather broad for an EF, and I would consider it closer to a Western Fine. I really enjoy the matte finish on the nib, although nib creep is inevitable from the first fill !

Here are some comparisons to there nibs:

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o594/keirwilliams98/namisuink_zpsmwv6wubm.jpg

It is very close to a Lamy Safari F, although it is wetter. The feed is big and can keep a lot of ink within the fins:

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o594/keirwilliams98/namisufeed_zpso2ap57xb.jpg

There is no logo on the outside of the pen. Instead, by the section threads, there is a minimal 'N'. I really like this:

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o594/keirwilliams98/namisusectionconverter_zps1mct3g0z.jpg

For me the pen is a good size, but I have included some comparisons to other well known and popular pens :

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o594/keirwilliams98/comparisoncapped_zps4azu3jdv.jpg

From L-R - TWSBI Eco, Jinhao X450, Lamy 2000, Lamy Safari, Namisu Nova, Pelikan M400 & Kaweco Sport. Uncapped/posted:

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o594/keirwilliams98/namisucomparison_zpsywi7ii8v.jpg

The Pelican and Kaweco are posted as I consider them a little small to use un-posted. As you can see it is in a similar size to the Safari and 2000.

Dimensions are :

• Length (Length uncapped) – 137mm (131mm)
  • Maximum diameter: 15.2mm
  • Grip diameter: 11mm

​In 2016, I paid £98 for the pen, which included a Schmidt converter. With a steel nib, the pen is £70. In the US, for Ti it is $120, and with a steel nib, $85. Shipping is free in the US and the UK. Is it worth it ? In my opinion, yes. Titanium is a difficult material to work with and is expensive. The only other pen similar to this is the Nakaya Ti Piccolo which is $1000. Make your own judgement ! The finish and attention to detail is impeccable, and the pen wrote well out of the box, with an amazing, soft nib.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. The only faults I can think of are slightly sharp section to barrel threads which are a little squeaky, and the pen is slightly top heavy. Apart from that, I cant find anything else to criticise it on. Oh, the nib availability. I'd like to see it with a gold nib please.

Get it here at : http://www.namisu.com

9/10

“Rome wasn’t built in a day, but then again I wasn’t on that particular job.” - Brian Clough

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• R531

• Pickwick

• Tas

• Pen Engineer

A well made pen, what I might find uncomfortable is the step down from the barrel to the section, especially for writing for long periods.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Still loving my black version, also with the Ti EF nib.

In fact I refilled it today with some old Parker Quink Black Solv-X and am very happy to finally have black ink in it.

Incredible value.

Thanks for showcasing it's virtues.

This pen is tempting me. I'll brake soon :) Thank you for the review :)

Go for it ! It's a wonderful pen, but for me the Ti nib is a must, as it really adds fun to it !

A well made pen, what I might find uncomfortable is the step down from the barrel to the section, especially for writing for long periods.

I can see why that could be a problem, and I thought it'd be the same for me when I initially held it, but having written with it for quite a while now, it's no problem.

Still loving my black version, also with the Ti EF nib.

In fact I refilled it today with some old Parker Quink Black Solv-X and am very happy to finally have black ink in it.

Incredible value.

Thanks for showcasing it's virtues.

I'd love a black one ! I think a grey ink would go well in mine; I think Noodler's Lexington Grey will be the next fill :)

“Rome wasn’t built in a day, but then again I wasn’t on that particular job.” - Brian Clough

Hi R531,

Do you hold your pen at the section, which I find most members seem to? I always hold mine about a third of the way up with the pen capped and the step for me may cause a problem.

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

I've got the grey aluminium version, which is a little bit lighter - it's a very pleasant writing experience! (And cheaper than titanium). I don't find a problem with the step up, as the grip section (plus #6 nib) is long enough that it's not in the way - but obviously, your mileage may vary!

I'd love a black one ! I think a grey ink would go well in mine; I think Noodler's Lexington Grey will be the next fill :)

Ooo, Lexington Grey :wub: why didn't I think of that ?!

It'll look like the Ti nib is melting onto the paper . . . yummy.

R531,

Many thanks for your excellent review. I have long set my eyes on a pen with a Bock Titanium nib, and I found your detailed review much helpful indeed.

I was wondering if you could kindly enlighten me in one more point. I know Namisu is only availble with EF or M nib, however, In retrospect, if you were to choose between a size EF or F Titanium nib, would you still go with the EF?

Thanks in advance,

-Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

Namisu offered F, M and B nibs with their first Kickstarter project, the Nexus, but found that F was very similar to.. That's why they stopped offering the F. I have an EF steel nib, which is really nice and smooth, and a F titanium nib which I also really like - but it lays down a wide wet line, which to me looks and feels more like a medium.

Namisu offered F, M and B nibs with their first Kickstarter project, the Nexus, but found that F was very similar to.. That's why they stopped offering the F. I have an EF steel nib, which is really nice and smooth, and a F titanium nib which I also really like - but it lays down a wide wet line, which to me looks and feels more like a medium.

Thanks Jamerelbe, I think that would be my guess too, thanks for letting me know.

Anyhow, it seems EF in this particular nib brand writes more like a western F, as R531 states above.

Best regards,

- Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

Thanks Jamerelbe, I think that would be my guess too, thanks for letting me know.

Anyhow, it seems EF in this particular nib brand writes more like a western F, as R531 states above.

Best regards,

- Frank66

Indeed, this is much closer to a Western Fine. It's also muc wetter than most of my fines; not a bad thing !

:)

Hi R531,

Do you hold your pen at the section, which I find most members seem to? I always hold mine about a third of the way up with the pen capped and the step for me may cause a problem.

I hold my pen where everyone else normally holds their pen on the section. On the Namisu, because of its balance point, I tend to move my hand slightly towards the threads. You know they're there but it's not a problem, and personally I don't find it important.

Я надеюсь, вы найдете это полезным

Don't know why I slipped into my Russian keyboard there; apologies :)

...ahem! IMHO B)

... if someone would have offered a design (forgetting the rest) with a sharp step between the section and the barrel, I would have told them to go back to the drawing board. :yikes:

To sacrifice function for anything, not even form, is just not on, as I said, IMHO!!! I see ergonomics as part of function, for me, there is no compromise! :gaah:

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design

...ahem! IMHO B)

... if someone would have offered a design (forgetting the rest) with a sharp step between the section and the barrel, I would have told them to go back to the drawing board. :yikes:

To sacrifice function for anything, not even form, is just not on, as I said, IMHO!!! I see ergonomics as part of function, for me, there is no compromise! :gaah:

Thing is . . . it works !

I LOVE MINE

...ahem! IMHO B)

Had I not bought one, I'd 100% agree with you(and with pretty much any other pen I do). It just works. It's not uncomfortable at all. I probably won't sway you, but it's a bloody good pen all the same !

Had I not bought one, I'd 100% agree with you(and with pretty much any other pen I do). It just works. It's not uncomfortable at all. I probably won't sway you, but it's a bloody good pen all the same !

My firm attitude has led me to design a few ...ahem... things... and more B)

since I have matured into a GOB, I have mellowed quite a bit, as you can easily see from my comments... next time, when I get to town (which does not happen very often), I will go to the pen shop and have a feel for myself. :rolleyes:

Until then, I let you off the hook, or should I say: on your sharp edge, which doesn't hurt, apparently. :P

BTW, I tend to write more with my fingers higher up (in agreement with Pickwick)... but, in this particular case, I will alter my habit.

Edited by PenIngeneer

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

My firm attitude has led me to design a few ...ahem... things... and more B)

since I have matured into a GOB, I have mellowed quite a bit, as you can easily see from my comments... next time, when I get to town (which does not happen very often), I will go to the pen shop and have a feel for myself. :rolleyes:

Until then, I let you off the hook, or should I say: on your sharp edge, which doesn't hurt, apparently. :P

BTW, I tend to write more with my fingers higher up... but, in this particular case, I will alter my habit.

My dear friend you are apparently a product of the same generation as myself.

Before the day the ballpoint pen became a reliable writing instrument, it was common practice to write with the fingers placed about a third of the way the length of a fountain pen posted with the cap.The reason for this is the fingers are not cramped and therefore is comfortable for writing for long periods. Also better control of the pen occurs with respect to balance.

Now it appears to be common practice to hold a fountain pen at the section close to the nib, therefore the fingers are bent at an acute angle, which is OK for short periods of writing.

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

My dear friend you are apparently a product of the same generation as myself.

Before the day the ballpoint pen became a reliable writing instrument, it was common practice to write with the fingers placed about a third of the way the length of a fountain pen posted with the cap.The reason for this is the fingers are not cramped and therefore is comfortable for writing for long periods. Also better control of the pen occurs with respect to balance.

Now it appears to be common practice to hold a fountain pen at the section close to the nib, therefore the fingers are bent at an acute angle, which is OK for short periods of writing.

You are perfectly correct. B)

The cramped style of writing comes from writing with ballpoint pens, those with paste, not ink, because they need more pressure... what more can I say? :rolleyes:

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2