Pilot Nib On Namiki Yukari

jmccarty3

At the Dallas show, I found a Namiki Yukari Grapevine, which is a difficult design to locate. I had been searching for it because I wanted to give it to a good friend who is a winemaker. It was new, the purchase was from an authorized dealer, and the price was right. I was admiring the beautiful Maki-e finish so much that I didn't even examine the nib. When I did, I realized that it was a Pilot size 5 nib rather than a Namiki nib. I realize that the only difference is the decoration, but I've never seen a photo of a Yukari with a Pilot nib. The dealer has made an inquiry to Pilot, but has not heard back.

Have any of you ever seen or heard of anything like this?

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmccarty3

• jar

• zaddick

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I often see Pilot branded nibs on the lower end Namiki yukari pens. I have seen the #5 before on that pen and similar designs. The small nib is one main reason I never end up buying one. The Yukari pens top out at 10 and the Yukari Royal use a 20 nib, but branded as Namiki.

Even some of the old emperor #50 nibs were branded pilot instead of namiki.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I see that a Namiki 20 nib is the same size as a Pilot 15. The Yukari is supposed to have a Namiki 10 nib. Is that the same size at the Pilot 5? If so, I won't insist on an exchange, but it still looks strange.

Okay, gotta ask. What was that supposed to say?

I use FPN mostly on my phone and between other things I need to do. The predictive text is often horrific. If I am in a rush a quick glance is all a post gets. Sadly it makes me look incompetent once in a while. That line was supposed to read:

The small nib is one main reason...

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I use FPN mostly on my phone and between other things I need to do. The predictive text is often horrific. If I am in a rush a quick glance is all a post gets. Sadly it makes me look incompetent once in a while. That line was supposed to read:

The small nib is one main reason...

See, I was fully prepared to learn that Japanese pens could be hazardous to my health as well as my wallet.

My Website

I see that a Namiki 20 nib is the same size as a Pilot 15. The Yukari is supposed to have a Namiki 10 nib. Is that the same size at the Pilot 5? If so, I won't insist on an exchange, but it still looks strange.

No. Namiki and Pilot #10 nibs are the same size. Likewise for #5. I personally prefer the additional leverage of the #10 nibs, but my #5 nibs write very well too.

Older Namiki pens often used Pilot stamped nibs, so it's possible your hard-to-find pen was simply older stock.

Namiki and Pilot branded nibs both come in either 18K or 14K, depending on the pen model. I can't feel a difference between the two alloys in practice. I also don't feel a difference between Namiki and Pilot branded nibs when well tuned.

The branding, size, and material of the nib may all have been factors in the price you paid. If it writes well and you believe your friend will enjoy their very generous gift, I'd keep it.

The pen came from the factory with a #10 size nib, which is larger than the #5.

It sounds like one of the previous owners swapped nibs with a different pen.

Scientia potentia est.

The pen came from the factory with a #10 size nib, which is larger than the #5.

It sounds like one of the previous owners swapped nibs with a different pen.

Problem is, this is a new pen, purchased from an authorized dealer. The price I paid was pretty much the standard show discount, and with tax, it came to about the same as an online price I have seen from another US authorized dealer. I'm leaning toward returning the pen and asking that they send me a new one with the proper Namiki nib.