Can't Decide On My Next Pen

Napostrophe

I find the most calming pen to by my Estie J! For some reason I always do well on my Algebra tests with it.... I personally don't use a pen case. All I can really say is that you probably want to have a finer nib for notes. I have had school in the North and in the South. It's a rare occasion to find notes that give you enough space to actually write with a medium nib pen. What pens do you currently own? Which one are your favorites? Do you like variety in wetness and line with? These are all questions to consider... I'm quite sure our pen situations are similar...

We will do our best to help you out with your decision.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Napostrophe

• AL01

• LizEF

• jonesberg

I find the most calming pen to by my Estie J! For some reason I always do well on my Algebra tests with it.... I personally don't use a pen case. All I can really say is that you probably want to have a finer nib for notes. I have had school in the North and in the South. It's a rare occasion to find notes that give you enough space to actually write with a medium nib pen. What pens do you currently own? Which one are your favorites? Do you like variety in wetness and line with? These are all questions to consider... I'm quite sure our pen situations are similar...

We will do our best to help you out with your decision.

The list of pens my family has:

2 waterman Experts (don't know which version, but we have them) medium nib

1 waterman Carene fine nib

1 waterman Edson (missing the cap, what a shame) medium nib

2 Rotring 600s medium nib

1 eye dropper pen (I can't remember the brand or model off the top of my head)

1 Montblanc Meisterstuck (the line variation on this thing is crazy, considering it isn't a flex nib) medium nib (I think)

A few jinhaos of unknown nib size

1 Parker 51 (haven't checked the nib size on it)

List of pens that I use(d):

Two of the jinhaos (hated both of them)

Pilot Varsities (pretty nice, though I don't like the disposable nature of them)

One of the Waterman Experts (a tiny bit dry for my liking, but still smooth, though with a bit more feedback than I'd like and painfully frequent hard starts, though I have just flushed the pen and hard starts appear to be happening a bit less often, always seems to be dry when I start writing with it the next day)

One of the Rotring 600s (Current daily use pen, very nice wetness)

I have no real care for line width variation, and I personally like a pen that is a little on the wetter side, though only slightly so. I haven't ever really used a fine nib before, though I know I like medium nibs a lot

Edited by Napostrophe

You have some nice pens!

Ok, a Twisbi M will probably run a hair thicker than you Waterman Mediums, a Pilot M will run a bit thinner than your P51, (if it is a medium). A Pilot F will seem like writing with a piece of human hair for you at first, but then will grow onto you. Pilots are not the wettest of pens, but are wet enough to be enjoyable, but won't bleed on 99.9% of paper. I don't know about Jowo nibs. The seem to be somewhat wetter than most nibs, but by no means are like Pelikans. Hope that helps...

You have some nice pens!

Ok, a Twisbi M will probably run a hair thicker than you Waterman Mediums, a Pilot M will run a bit thinner than your P51, (if it is a medium). A Pilot F will seem like writing with a piece of human hair for you at first, but then will grow onto you. Pilots are not the wettest of pens, but are wet enough to be enjoyable, but won't bleed on 99.9% of paper. I don't know about Jowo nibs. The seem to be somewhat wetter than most nibs, but by no means are like Pelikans. Hope that helps...

Nice advice! It'll definitely help with the final decision Edited by Napostrophe

I would have suggested a Platinum Balance, however, it is a snap cap. So I guess that one goes out the window.

I have the TWSBI Classic, and I love it. I don't post, so I can't speak to how that works. Mine does have to two o-rings at the back end of the pen. For me, the girth of the pen is just right. I don't have any issues with the ECO or the 580Al, but the Classic is just right.

As noted, I don't post, so I don't know how all the pens behave. I had posted the Eco once, and it felt like I was handling a baton. Not so much from a balance standpoint, but from a visual.

I hate having to screw the twsbi mini cap on to post it. A hassle when you just want to jot a quick note.

I'd get a Kakuno with a con 70 and a Prera with a con 50.

Edited by Shaggy

I hate having to screw the twsbi mini cap on to post it. A hassle when you just want to jot a quick note.

I'd get a Kakuno with a con 70 and a Prera with a con 50.

Screwing the cap to post isn't a big deal for me as I rarely take "quick jots," whenever I do I just use a pencil Edited by Napostrophe

The list of pens my family has:

2 waterman Experts (don't know which version, but we have them) medium nib

1 waterman Carene fine nib

1 waterman Edson (missing the cap, what a shame) medium nib

2 Rotring 600s medium nib

1 eye dropper pen (I can't remember the brand or model off the top of my head)

1 Montblanc Meisterstuck (the line variation on this thing is crazy, considering it isn't a flex nib) medium nib (I think)

A few jinhaos of unknown nib size

1 Parker 51 (haven't checked the nib size on it)

List of pens that I use(d):

Two of the jinhaos (hated both of them)

Pilot Varsities (pretty nice, though I don't like the disposable nature of them)

One of the Waterman Experts (a tiny bit dry for my liking, but still smooth, though with a bit more feedback than I'd like and painfully frequent hard starts, though I have just flushed the pen and hard starts appear to be happening a bit less often, always seems to be dry when I start writing with it the next day)

One of the Rotring 600s (Current daily use pen, very nice wetness)

Edit: the eye dropper pen is a Recife Crystal and I may switch back to the Waterman (after flushing it it is much nicer to write with and wetter than before, which I like)

• 1 month later...

Did you get any pens yet??

Lol, if only.

I managed to run into a tiny bit of financial difficulty (more important things needed to be bought) and haven't ordered the pen yet. I'm planning to buy the pen within the next month or two, though.

Speaking of which... After using my dad's Rotring 600 (at least I think it's a 600, it doesn't quite seem to match up with most pictures I see, though) I have realized that I really don't care about posting that much and worry that the need to twist on the cap to post will be cumbersome and annoying, so instead I'm gonna get the TWSBI Diamond 580 :P

Thanks for the help, though.

OK, I just wanted to ket you know that I have changed my mind about the Prera....

The pen had developed MULTIPLE cracks after 2 years - (one in the cap, one in the barrel, and one in the nib and feed holder) - this is terrible!!

I have owned fountain pens for long enough to say that I don't abuse them, yet this pen.....

Er... I had to get that off of my chest.

You should be worried about having this issue on your TWISBI for they have fixed cracking issues a looooong time ago.