Can't Decide On My Next Pen

Napostrophe

Firstly..Welcome Aboard

Put yer feet up relax and please enjoy your time here.

For your consideration...get thee a Parker "51" Aerometric filler

with Lustraloy cap.....Bullet Proof..young person in school....

secondary..university.......??

Fred

a complete stranger and not even a close one at that.

Where were you September 1969.

Redactin' by the way..still usin' the Parker "51" Vacumatic my mother gave me{early1950's}

..this pen has been around the world..no cartridges..holds a lot of writin' juice.....

Good luck on whatever you decide..and when you get said pen..post

a scan or photograph......Take care

Edited by Freddy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Napostrophe

• AL01

• LizEF

• jonesberg

To everyone saying Parker 51,

1) not at all in the price range

2) I actually already have one (my grandmother is giving me hers, though due to sentimental value I plan on using it as a desk pen if i even use it at all)

The pilot prera looks promising, on the list it goes.

On the other hand, I personally don't like the Sheaffer considering its price and on the topic of the Esterbrook, I don't feel like getting in to vintage pens yet.

No worries... TBH I actually started with the VFM. I don't recommend that pen, but then my second pen was the Prelude.

The Prera is a good choice though!

FYI, the Prera only comes in F and M. F is thin but makes a nice, wet line. It looks good on any paper, wheter you have alot of space to write or not. M is good too and is somewhat thick for a Japanese M. By no means is it an American M but isn't too far off either. It comes in many colors I personally recommend the solid ones. I know Dark Blue is somewhat sparkly, but I am pretty sure that the rest of the colors don't follow in its pursuit.

I used a fountain pen through four years of college. (class of '71) I recommend it for all who can develop writing with a lighter touch. There were no TWSBI's then. I like the idea of a TWSBI demonstrator for college students. The TWSBI Diamond Mini is too small for practical use, unless the cap is posted. The cap and barrel are threaded, and with cap posted, it is very comfortable. It is easy to carry. If the $50 price tag is a bit steep for a student, ask Santa for help.

Which ink(s) do you plan to use in college ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Firstly, I just realized that I forgot to mention that I like medium sized nibs, secondly, here is the updated list:

TWSBI Diamond 580(AL), Eco, Diamond Mini, and Classic (any opinions on the classic, anyone?)

Kaweco Classic Sport

Pilot Prera

I am personally leaning hard toward the TWSBIs due to their filling mechanism, however the Kaweco Sport and Pilot Prera are still very compelling options.

I used a fountain pen through four years of college. (class of '71) I recommend it for all who can develop writing with a lighter touch. There were no TWSBI's then. I like the idea of a TWSBI demonstrator for college students. The TWSBI Diamond Mini is too small for practical use, unless the cap is posted. The cap and barrel are threaded, and with cap posted, it is very comfortable. It is easy to carry. If the $50 price tag is a bit steep for a student, ask Santa for help.

Which ink(s) do you plan to use in college ?

A postable pen is deffinitely a bonus, so if the TWSBI minis are really nice when posted that is great.

Any opinions on the Pilot Prera or Kaweco Sport when posted? What about the other TWSBIs?

I will probably stick with the purple scented J. Herbin ink that I have been using (I frickin' love this stuff, quick to dry, love the color, writes smoothly, flows well, and it's scented!)

Additional help is greatly appreciated :P

Edited by Napostrophe

The Prera should be ONLY used posted if you want to write for a long time. The pen is short and posting is necessary. When posted the pen is a little top heavy but like the other pens I have listed, it won't give you fatigue. No worries about the nib and flow, it will literally take any ink, but I recommend Waterman - (it's a beautiful beginners ink that I have been using ever since I have started using FPs'.)

J. Herbin will be fine in any pen. They have been making ink for a loooooong time!

I think my budget has narrowed down to about $60, give or take $10. So that gives me an idea of what I can get.

Also the TWSBI Diamond 580 has been put a little lower on the list than the TWSBI Diamond Mini and others due to their inability to post.

So currently the TWSBI Classic and/or Diamond Mini and/or TWSBI Eco are very likely to be my choice(s).

Edited by Napostrophe

Of the ones you mention the TWSBI would be my first choice, however have you looked at the Metropolitan?

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Of the ones you mention the TWSBI would be my first choice, however have you looked at the Metropolitan?

I did look at the metropolitan, however I'm personally a bit against it as it doesn't have a screw on cap and doesn't have a built in piston filler.

We have a coupleTWSBI ECOs, a Vac Mini and a 580 at home, as well as a few Kaweco.

All of the Kaweco we bought required some tune up with the nibs so they could write properly.

I kinda like them, but I wouldn't personally trust them as my carry around pen (which is a shame, considering their form factor).

The Classic also takes cartridges only, unless you want to eyedrop it. I wouldn't do it on my carry around pen.

My favorite of the TWSBI is the Vac Mini. I just love the fact that I can fill it and I'm okay for approx. a week.

I am taking a lot of notes these days and started with a Pilot Vanishing Point (amazing pen, horrible ink capacity with the included converter) before buying a Vac Mini to try.

Since you prefer a piston filler, I would probably go for the Diamond mini. I think the nib is better than the ECO (marginally) and the construction feels more solid IMHO.

Since you already have your ink, you should have a little extra handy to buy a (few) notebooks. :-)

I would be happy with any of your three choices. Let us know how it goes!

Edited by jonesberg

-j

So I have definitely narrowed down what I plan on doing

I will either get

• JUST the TWSBI Diamond Mini, Classic, possibly the Vac Mini, or possibly even the 580 (though unlikely due to inability to post), anybody got any opinions on the TWSBI Classic? Nobody has really said anything on it and I would like to know how it posts and feels to use.

OR

• A TWSBI Eco AND either the Kaweco Sport or Pilot Prera. There is so much praise for both of these pens but also a lot of nitpicks as well that i have found looking around at reviews. I have to admit, i personally am a bit biased as i love the aesthetic of the Kaweco Sport, however if the Pilot Prera is just a better pen then that's how it is and what I would go with. However, something I worry about on the Prera is that its medium nib is about equivalent to an American/European fine, which I am not too fond of but if it writes as nicely as a medium then that's what I'd go with. The main reason I don't use fine nib pens is because they never feel as nice to write with as any of the medium nib pens I've used.

I am personally leaning more toward just getting one of the more expensive TWSBIs and calling it a day, however I am still conflicted as to which one I would get.

Classic don't post....

Now design really does matter! do you want a demonstrat-er or a solid pen?

Do you want a pen that can go to school and to a wedding?

Do you want a pen that can fit in ANY pocket?

Do you want a pen with a clip?

Do you like ink windows?

I won't take a side... All of the pens you have listed are good. Just keep in mind that all of the Twsbis and the Sport have Bock nibs.

Classic don't post....

Now design really does matter! do you want a demonstrat-er or a solid pen?

Do you want a pen that can go to school and to a wedding?

Do you want a pen that can fit in ANY pocket?

Do you want a pen with a clip?

Do you like ink windows?

I won't take a side... All of the pens you have listed are good. Just keep in mind that all of the Twsbis and the Sport have Bock nibs.

1) supposedly they have revised the classic's design and now it does (you can see in pictures of it on their web page it has what appear to be two rubber o-rings on the back end of it)

2) I dont really care for demonstrators vs. solid. They both look good in my opinion.

3) School :P

4) I rarely put my pens or pencils in my pockets, though when I do they go in my pants pocket when I'm going to the bathroom so people don't steal them (I have trust issues) and I take them out the moment I get back to my desk

5) I dont really care for the clip, that's one reason why the Kaweco Sport is so appealing; because it doesnt roll due to it's shape and doesn't have a clip that I will never use. However, having a clip is not at all a problem, I don't really care either way.

6) Ink windows are nice and I would like them, though I don't really care for them on converter/cartridge pens as it won't look as nice, though it is not a big deal.

HMMM....

Indeed...

HMMM....

As you know I go to school...............

HMMM.....

AHAA! Do you want a pen that will attract others?? Do you want a pen that will rip your eyes out or one that will blend in?

You could also go on Goulet Pens, (not affiliated) and they have this thingy in which you can have real life measurements of pens to a reference. There is no limit, I believe.

Just see which pen speaks to you. We are students and that means that we can't buy a zillion pens. I own 8 and will buy one more, and probably stop there... (4 are daily users! Soon to be 5...)

HMMM....

Indeed...

HMMM....

As you know I go to school...............

HMMM.....

AHAA! Do you want a pen that will attract others?? Do you want a pen that will rip your eyes out or one that will blend in?

You could also go on Goulet Pens, (not affiliated) and they have this thingy in which you can have real life measurements of pens to a reference. There is no limit, I believe.

Just see which pen speaks to you. We are students and that means that we can't buy a zillion pens. I own 8 and will buy one more, and probably stop there... (4 are daily users! Soon to be 5...)

I like the idea of a pen which is subtle but will be intriguing and attract attention if people look closely. Aesthetics aren't really a big deal in the decision making with this pen, its more so about how they feel to write with and how comfortable they are to hold. My main question is how do the TWSBI Classic, Diamond Mini, and Vac Mini compare to each other in comfort and use?

Forgive me, but that's something I can't answer...

I hope for the best!

No worries, however your suggestion to look at Goulet Pens' charts on pen dimensions is a great help as it allows me to knock the TWSBI Classic off my list as it appears it would be too long posted and very likely to feel unbalanced when done. I compared the specs on Goulet Pens with the dimensions of the Waterman Expert I had been using as the Waterman Expert is very nicely balanced when posted, despite not being the most comfortable due to the cap digging into my hand (something about the shaping of the end of the cap just bothers me. It isn't so much as uncomfortable as annoying and unpleasant)

At this point it is basically a race between the TWSBI Diamond Mini and Vac Mini. To narrow down my choice, how cumbersome to people find the Vac to be? I see a bunch of stuff leading to the conclusion that the system is really cumbersome as I need to unlock the pen when I want to right, however others have said that it has been able to write a lot before needing to be unlocked and that the pen writes really nicely and that may outweigh the needing to unlock the pen.

Edited by Napostrophe

I think they changed for JoWo nibs now. They feel quite nice. :)

Napostrophe, do you have the opportunity to try them somewhere?

Otherwise, I don't think any of them would disappoint you. I would start with the Diamond Mini, and already plan my next eventual purchase. :rolleyes: (Well, you can't put all your eggs in the same basket!)

-j

I think they changed for JoWo nibs now. They feel quite nice. :)

Napostrophe, do you have the opportunity to try them somewhere?

Otherwise, I don't think any of them would disappoint you. I would start with the Diamond Mini, and already plan my next eventual purchase. :rolleyes: (Well, you can't put all your eggs in the same basket!)

I do not know of, nor can I find any places nearby where I can try them out, though I know places like that do exist.

I am most likely going to go with the Diamond Mini after what everyone has said, though if someone else has anything to add about the other options that would also be great.

As a side note, my family and I have a bunch of more valuable fountain pens that we currently don't use and dont have the original packaging for and were wondering if anybody had any suggestions for a good but somewhat inexpensive display case for them. We have 10 pens we would like to put in it currently.

Edited by Napostrophe