Hello From Montreal, Qc, Canada

McWaterjet

Hello all,

It took me a long time to finally open an account on this forum. And, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure why. I mean, I've been a stationery fan for years. Years, I tell you! But I only got into fountain pens last year.

I did get my very first fountain pen in the early 2000s. A Sheaffer Prelude in brushed stainless steel. While nice, I was never hooked. I was still a mechanical pencil and rollerball kinda guy. I never really ventured too far in the writing utensils section of my favourite stationery stores, instead I focused on finding the best notebooks possible. I accumulated notebook after notebook. It was my thing.

I am lucky enough to have a better half that's at least 100% as crazy about stationery as I am. One day, the topic of fountain pens came on the subject. And that sparked something in me. The next day, i went to Nota Bene (easily the best pen and paper store in Montreal) and got myself a Lamy Safari in Matt Umbra. That was the genesis of it!

So hello and hi to you all!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• McWaterjet

• moylek

• jonesberg

• ThomasB

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego, and congratulations on your choice of a wise spouse!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and welcome to the Fountain Pen Network. Glad you have joined us. This is now your place as much as it is ours. Please don't be shy. Ask all the questions you have and don't hesitate to state your opinions. I hope you enjoy your time here.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Welcome!!

Especially from my 2nd favourite city in Canada. :D

we'll get you settled into buying more FP than you really need...

Welcome !

My primary attraction to fountain pens, is the effortless writing. Ballpoint pens, and even roller ball pens, require that the writer apply pressure on the paper, so the ball will track. Coincidentally, the writer has to grip firmly, so the pen does not slip while bearing down. For those who write a lot, hand fatigue results.

The liquid ink, of a fountain pen, will flow onto the paper, with slightest contact. A "fingers-extended" , relaxed grip is possible. Hand fatigue is minimized. Earlier generations enjoyed this luxury. We have to seek it.

I used a fountain pen through four years of university. I believe it gave me an advantage. In the digital world of 2016, it just makes me better that other people.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hello and welcome to FPN!

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

I am lucky enough to have a better half that's at least 100% as crazy about stationery as I am. One day, the topic of fountain pens came on the subject. And that sparked something in me. The next day, i went to Nota Bene (easily the best pen and paper store in Montreal) and got myself a Lamy Safari in Matt Umbra. That was the genesis of it!

Welcome to the club (from an expat Montrealer exiled to Ontario).

Is Nota Bene the one in Old Montreal? It's quite nice (if that's the one).

---

Kenneth Moyle

Hamilton, Ontario

Welcome to the club (from an expat Montrealer exiled to Ontario).

Is Nota Bene the one in Old Montreal? It's quite nice (if that's the one).

Nota Bene is the one on Parc, almost corner Sherbrooke. It's a paradise for pens, paper and superbly designed office supplies. And they are about to have their big sale of the semester (starting on the 24th of October). My bank account is about to suffer :)

Welcome!!

Especially from my 2nd favourite city in Canada. :D

we'll get you settled into buying more FP than you really need...

Cheers! Though, to be honest, I'm already quite well started on buying more pens that I could ever need! ;)

Nota Bene is the one on Parc, almost corner Sherbrooke. It's a paradise for pens, paper and superbly designed office supplies. And they are about to have their big sale of the semester (starting on the 24th of October). My bank account is about to suffer :)

Oh! I don't know it. I was thinking of Papeterie Casse-Noisette on St. Sulpice.

I looked at Note Bene on streetview ... what a beautiful location. The last time I was in Montreal - two years ago :( - I had breakfast at Cafe & Cucina a few times. I wonder if Note Bene was there just across the intersection at the time :\

(The name amuses me: a name in Latin is apparently OK :) )

Edited by KennethMoyle

---

Kenneth Moyle

Hamilton, Ontario

I looked at Note Bene on streetview ... what a beautiful location. The last time I was in Montreal - two years ago :( - I head breakfast at Cafe & Cucina a few times. I wonder if Note Bene was there just across the intersection at the time :\

You just have to walk ~30 seconds from there to reach Nota Bene, yes. They've been there since before I started University in 2007.

Another good reason to visit Montreal!

-j