Platignum Vibe, Is It Any Good?

antichresis

I have one coming in through the mail (came bundled with a bunch of Safaris I bought secondhand), but couldn't find much in the way of reviews/perspective. It looks quite nice in the Sotrmtrooper colourway but how does it write? How does it compare?

I'll post photos/perspective once I get mine, of course

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulS

• antichresis

• dan in montreal

• Seele

have to say I'd not heard of this particular model either - it looks to be a very modern offering with aluminium and plastic body and steel nib.

I'd imagine it writes perfectly adequately when compared to Platignum pens from the 1930s - but not so well if compared with other modern and more expensive pens - although having said that even cheap pens these days will write smoothly in view of the improvement in nibs, but almost certainly it's going to be a firm tip rather than flexible.

It looks to be available, new, for something like Sterling £9 - 10, so not an expensive piece of kit. Maybe they're available in black only, and I guess with a name like 'Vibe' it was bound to be modern rather than old:)

Edited by PaulS

Yeah, it's still in transit but I do hope it offers something different from the bevy of cheap Pilots I have. Might just sell it if it doesn't.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

we're waiting with interest to see an example of how it writes - we hope you get good 'vibes':):) It's surprising how many named varieties of Platignum pens there are, mostly from the 1950 - 60 period - they did have a massive schoolboy market then, although have to say that I've no idea what schoolboys in the U.K. write with now.

Looking forward to the report on the Vibe! As far as I know, Platignum completely revised their product range a couple of years ago, and the Vibe is a current model apparently. Also it's good to see that they can be bought with a converter, as Platignums were exclusively cartridge-fill, using their proprietary cartridges, they might have changed things a bit.

I also wonder if they are still made in the UK, although chances are against it though...

Edited by Seele

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

regret to say I've not checked to see whether Platignum still exist and still making f.ps. in the U.K. - or abroad for that matter.

With respect to Sydney:), it's perhaps a little too much of a generalization and possibly confusing to say Platignum were cartridge pens exclusively - the assumption being that after a certain date - and the assumed demise of sacs - all pens automatically became cartridges users only.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide date lines as to when some of the Platignum changes occurred or for how long they were used, but certainly there was some prolonged use of aerometric/U-shaped systems - at least one pen which incorporated a permanently attached piston filler and one of the more desirable models called the Platignum 100 which used a capillary method of filling, very similar to the Parker 61 (introduced in 1956)...... the Platignum 100 appearing only four years later. The British 100 pen even had a hooded nib and similarly patterned cap.

Quite possibly Platignum's effort with the 100 may have suffered the same fate as the Parker capillary system - at least they seem to be very scarce and it's almost impossible to find any on line information.

Platignum also used a rather cheap and nasty plastic b.f. system - certainly not remotely of the quality of their b.f. pens from the 1930/40 period, but again, I've no information to back up dates as to when these things were introduced or ceased.

Ironically, perhaps, it's easier to renovate a Platignum sac pen than some of the alternative fillers, although believe there is a supply of cartridges on line that are compatible with Platignum.

Edited by PaulS

Ok, just got the pen. Pretty cool. It feels weighty without being heavy. It's a matte white (not like a Stormtrooper) but the black on the finials and the clip are glossy. The pen comes with a converter and two cartridges (all proprietary from what I gather).

The nib writes a true Western Medium and it's very smooth. In fact, reverse writing (a Western Fine) is smoother than most pens I own, and firmly smoother than any of the stainless steel Lamy nibs (even <M>). The flow is just right. Not bone dry and also not wet (I'm left handed).

The nib, aesthetically, isn't great. No breather hole, no markings of any kind. It's smooth and it writes. Didn't notice any flex but it is "soft"? I haven't tried a Pilot Soft Nib but it has more give than my stainless steel Pilots, my Lamys, my Chinese pen, my Sheaffers, etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLyTs7FAbav/

Ask away if you want to know more. :)

Edited by antichresis

Glad you like the pen. After Platignum's "revival" a few years ago, I got one, I think it was a Studio. It wrote ok, but the pen had all the markings of a Chinese pen, heavy, metal, ordinary but smooth enough nib, nothing extraordinary. Eventually, the inner cap came undone and I had to fix it. And now, I have no idea where I put it. Needless to say, it was not my favorite pen.

Not sure if the company folded, but the website is still up.