Montblanc Meisterstuck 106514 (Real?)

asegier

I have the opportunity to buy a brand new Montblanc Meisterstuck at a very discounted price. However I am a little wary of whether the pen is the real deal or not.

new_mont_blanc_meisterstuck_106514_14740

new_mont_blanc_meisterstuck_106514_14740

1476624155.jpg

1476624168.jpg

1476624179.jpg

This was all the images I was offered. I know there are a lot of things I cannot tell from just these images, and I've known and heard of checking for the Pix underneath the clip, using light to see if the barrel is red, etc.

However, I am just not experienced enough with this brand (I've never owned a Montblanc yet). What are you thoughts, guys? Any specific thing I should ask for, or anything you notice?

Alternatively, I have also sourced out a Montblanc Mozart and I also wanted to ask if there's any telltale signs or anything I should look for. The seller said they'll send me more pictures later as they are out of town, so the only one I have is this one at the moment.

9999_new_mont_blanc_fountain_pen_1476362

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance guys!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• asegier

• Chrissy

• vikrmbedi

• kenshiro

this is a montblanc 145 classique and IMHO it is genuine.

the Mozart is a fake... basing it on the appreance of the boxes and the leather sleeve. I have seen this type of sleeve , in a variety of colours, offered along with fakes on ebay.

@vikrmbedi Thanks for the reply. I am surprised... Of all pens, they'd fake the Mozart?! I didn't think they'd fake such a small pen. Additionally, I've heard that the pen does come with a sleeve (or at least it was implied by those who owned it).

I actually got a few more pics from the seller of the 145. They also claim it is 100% genuine and that (since this is a meet and trade) they are willing to verify in a mont blanc store. I've been searching around and it seems I can't find the answer to this, but does Mont Blanc themselves do verification on whether a pen is real or not? I'm imagining most of the people inside the store are just sales and couldn't care less when you're not purchasing from them...

On a side note, here are more pictures from the 145 I got this morning.

1476667351.jpg

1476667364.jpg

1476667374.jpg

Hopefully nothing unusual that pops out as fake?

Only thing was that I realized I could not see a serial number on the band, nor the supposed engraving of where it's made. Also I couldn't see a Pix at the back as I saw in some pictures. This one seems to say Made in Germany Metal, as far as I can tell but I may be wrong. I have also asked for better pics on any serial if existent.

Also I should note, the seller is selling this pen as a brand new never used before in box for $245 USD.

As for the Mozart, I am supposedly getting pictures tomorrow night. It seems so real to me, I can't believe it could be a fake... Wow. I'll post the pictures when I get them, maybe they'll shed some light.

Edited by asegier

Keep in mind that the Mozart and the leather sleeve are separate items. The latter is part of the Nightflight leather accessory collection and may or may not have any bearing on the authenticity of the Mozart.

On the Hunt For:

1) Atelier Simoni ID Demonstrator Natural Rhodium (As if it existed.)

2) Moresi 2nd Limited Edition Delta Demonstrator

3) y.y. Pen Club #4 and #10

I agree that the first pen, Montblanc 145 looks authentic. I would have liked to have seen the writing on the side of the converter, but as long as it doesn't say Mont Blanc on there, it should be OK.

Whether a Montblanc boutique will confirm whether a pen is authentic or not depends on the boutique. If you pick a boutique where there is an experienced member of staff, then they may be happy to authenticate a pen. However, many of them don't have enough experience, and some can get it wrong. Fitting an authentic converter into a pen might be enough in many fakes, so that's something you could try.

I feel that the Mozart might be authentic too, because the warranty card refers to the sleeve and that doesn't look like a fake.

These square boxes have been faked, and used for Chopin or Mozart pens, but we can't tell if the Mozart in this one is authentic or not from that picture

Thanks for the reply Chrissy and kenshiro! So it seems the verdict for the Mozart is still in question. I shall see if I can get images up tomorrow night when he sends them. In particular, what images should I ask for to verify it's authenticity? Or rather, what images would you need to verify its authenticity?

@Chrissy For the 145, it seems to me that it is written Mont Blanc on the converter. Is that not supposed to be there? Or am I seeing things? Also I took a quick search at large image files for the Mont Blanc converter. I don't see any writing on the clear plastic barrel like I do on this one... Strange...

[Edit]

So I found a couple images online...

dsc_6140.jpg

http://www.ancientreasures.net/pens/images/20110716-s-MB-Converter.jpg

It seems to have Mont Blanc written right on the converter... But no writing in the clear plastic portion... Which is different from the one offered by the sellers picture.

Edited by asegier

http://www.ancientreasures.net/pens/images/20110716-s-MB-Converter.jpgThis is the old converter (push up only), for 144

1476667351.jpg

This is the new one (screwed), for 145

Thanks for the reply Chrissy and kenshiro! So it seems the verdict for the Mozart is still in question. I shall see if I can get images up tomorrow night when he sends them. In particular, what images should I ask for to verify it's authenticity? Or rather, what images would you need to verify its authenticity?

@Chrissy For the 145, it seems to me that it is written Mont Blanc on the converter. Is that not supposed to be there? Or am I seeing things? Also I took a quick search at large image files for the Mont Blanc converter. I don't see any writing on the clear plastic barrel like I do on this one... Strange...

[Edit]

So I found a couple images online...

It seems to have Mont Blanc written right on the converter... But no writing in the clear plastic portion... Which is different from the one offered by the sellers picture.

Sorry, I confused you. Fake Montblanc converters have Mont Blanc printed in white along the clear plastic tube. The pictures of the converters on this thread look like authentic converters.

i just assumed as there are 2 booklets in the background they are for the 2 leather sleeve and the pen.

As both booklets look fake ( because of texture) and both mention montblanc leather...I assume the pen is fake.

if the seller has multiple fake booklets and is using them to show authenticity proof for the pen...In my opinion it is a fake.

I may be wrong, and look forward to see more pics from the seller...

I believe the grey box and converter above are from the 1970s, as the pen section pictured is from the Noblesse / Slimline / SL series.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

So I got the pictures for the Mozart.

1476801638.jpg

1476801648.jpg

1476801703.jpg

1476802145.jpg

The seller just upped the price by $39 though... cause he said there's someone who's already willing to buy it, so unless I want to pay more... And that he doesn't care if I think it's fake since he's already got a buyer lol.

What are your thoughts though guys? I can't see any signs of it not being legit. I mean there's even the CD.

The original selling price was $165, but now it's $206 (strange number's cause I'm using my local currency to convert as it's a trade in local currency). Still a good buy? And real?

Edited by asegier

The seller just upped the price by $39 though... cause he said there's someone who's already willing to buy it, so unless I want to pay more... And that he doesn't care if I think it's fake since he's already got a buyer lol.

What are your thoughts though guys? I can't see any signs of it not being legit. I mean there's even the CD.

The original selling price was $165, but now it's $206 (strange number's cause I'm using my local currency to convert as it's a trade in local currency). Still a good buy? And real?

That's an old sales tactic. Respond with an old negotiation tactic referred to as a "kick in the balls". Offer him $40 less than his original price because you found another seller who was willing to go down on his price.

Unfortunately, it was his original reply. When I first inquired about the pen, he said it was sold. Hence, I never responded. But after looking at the boards for a day or two with the listing still up, I messaged him telling him that he should remove the post if it is sold. He replied that the pen already had a buyer, but that they were out of town and couldn't meet up till a couple days later. I replied that I really liked the pen and that if the transaction didn't go through, I'd be willing to pick it up. He said that since I like it so much, he'd be willing to part it with me if I was willing to offer more, just never stated how much more, only now he says at least that much more loll.

Edited by asegier

I guess I agree with that. I just think it might be hard to find a good deal on a Mozart locally in Hong Kong (I think maybe it'd be easier in USA or UK?)

It still looks authentic to me, but I wouldn't buy it from a seller who had decided to up the price. If he already has a buyer, why hasn't he sold it?

@Chrissy Oh I think he's just an opportunist. As I said earlier, I expressed interest if he could not sell it. And he was the one who turned me away first loll. Then he said that if I wanted it I could offer a higher price.