Changing Nib Of Einstein Fp

ukbbc

Seeking some advice on what to do with my Einstein FP. I bought earlier this year with a the standard M nib from an authorized dealer.

I have yet to ink the pen, just admiring it so far. Since it is coming up to the one year mark, I was wondering if I should exchange the nib to another? I may sell this pen in the future, or I may use it depending on promotion. Which nib would be most attractive to prospective collectors?

I currently have OB, OM, M and F nibs across my other MB pens.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ukbbc

• zaddick

• Pravda

• Pen Nut

For collecting, M is a safe bet as it is the standard width. If you want to use it, pick your favorite and don't look back.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Since its been a year, you will not get a free nib and changing will spring you back at least $400. If you plan to sell it, keep the M nib. No point adding cost to your profit.

For collecting, M is a safe bet as it is the standard width. If you want to use it, pick your favorite and don't look back.

+1 on this.

I feel I would get it fitted or 'tuned' to my requirements and use it.

Money may not make you happy but I would rather cry in a Rolls-Royce

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

While it has been a year, it's worth asking at a boutique if the nib could be exchanged for free as the pen has not ever been used (helps if it's still sealed, too). It helps to be extra polite and pleasant, and to form a relationship as a customer. Sometimes it also helps to ask for the manager.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Many thanks for all your valuable insights!

Amongst my nibs, I still havent found one that i truly like. If I do ink the Einstein, I would like to use it for more than just signature, so maybe M nib will be best.

Does anyone have examples with BB+ ?

Anything above a BB on a 146 size pen would be a custom nib from either MB or a retip from a nibsmith. BB and OBB are the widest standard nibs.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

fpn_1476838668__img_0722.jpg

I usually decide to do the nib exchange within one month since I bought the pen. I own the first four great character series pens, and they are all BB except Gandhi. To be honest I don't use them often just admire the design like an art, however the BB is a also part of admiration. If you are willing to sell your Einstein, I agree that keeping the original M is better.

I had a 'quote' to exchange my Einstein nib (M) to a BB and was alarmed at the $1000.00 AUD (~$750USD) fee..!

I also find my Einstein M to be a lot smoother than my other Montblanc M nibs and writes similar to a MB F.

I guess this is one of the reasons why it pays to purchase your pens from your official MB store. I have had a 1912 undergo a nib exchange after 1 1/2 year of ownership, and also another coral Rouge et noir switch nibs that I did not buy at the store. No charge at all.

While it has been a year, it's worth asking at a boutique if the nib could be exchanged for free as the pen has not ever been used (helps if it's still sealed, too). It helps to be extra polite and pleasant, and to form a relationship as a customer. Sometimes it also helps to ask for the manager.

That approach definitely works!!! Thank you for mentioning it.

Since its been a year, you will not get a free nib and changing will spring you back at least $400. If you plan to sell it, keep the M nib. No point adding cost to your profit.

Special Edition pens have 1 year for free nib exchange

For me though, the Einstein is a grail pen. I would install an F nib and use it every day at home.

Edited by ansmy

Thanks again for the encouragement. Will see if i am getting promoted, am tempted to go for F or EF(?) nib and get it into rotation...think I need to visit the boutique to play around with a few nibs