#1 Choice

Scubadiva

Hi.

So - as a new collector whose experience so far revolves around Mont Blanc and Waterman I'm wondering where next to dip my inky toe. What fountain pens would you recommend to broaden my horizons?

I guess this is likely to be a tough question, but if you could choose only one FP what would it be? And may I ask why?

Diane

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scubadiva

• FLZapped

• jar

• brohan

I would not choose just one pen and any answer is meaningless without knowing far more about what you like. What is it you like about Montblanc and Waterman?

Ha! Difficult I know, but 1 pen is a start

Waterman - sentimental reasons. My first, bought without trying anything else and was my only one for a few decades. Chosen for its looks (Carene). I see a metaphor in there.

Mont Blanc - Recent purchases, chosen for the quality brand, so a safe choice. I assumed they would be a good writing experience. Clearly I was more discerning, but probably also cautious.

When I asked for recommendations I was also aware that I don't really know what I like so I'd like to explore more, take some chances, but where to start?

So far I prefer a smooth writer; not too big and heavy as my fingers get a little achy, but not very slim either as I'd have to grip harder.

Does that help?

Hi. Thanks - I do have a MB 146 and you are spot on. I do enjoy using it.

If I was to look outside of Waterman & MB, what pens have you enjoyed most, and why?

Greetings a warm welcome ! From my relatively narrow experience, except 30 years with a MB 146, I'd suggest a Pelikan which was additon to the MB. Handsome visually, piston fill, and a great writing nib.

Retired, twice. Time to do more things, writing being one.

Okay, thinking along MB 146 size and form factor.

There is the Platinum President.

http://www.fototime.com/584F83D3662827F/medium800.jpg

and also the Nakaya Portable Writer:

http://www.fototime.com/F90828C484A85B8/medium800.jpg

or a Montegrappa Classica:

http://www.fototime.com/04D2E12A6A90E3F/medium800.jpg

or maybe a Sailor large 1911:

http://www.fototime.com/8361FED50CB8EA0/medium800.jpg

or Danitrio Hanryo:

http://www.fototime.com/504311FF8A2455C/medium800.jpg

or Pilot Nippon Art:

http://www.fototime.com/BB53E53520EE7B5/medium800.jpg

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!! My favorites are M800 sized Pelikans, great German pens, piston filled and I love the nibs.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Diane, I haven't had any luck yet finding that MP you are seeking, but I bet there will be someone who spots it. I don't personally know much about where to locate Mont Blanc pencils.

You might consider getting an Esterbrook J fountain pen with a series 9xxx nib. Esterbrooks were well made of quality materials from an excellent design in enormous numbers so they could be sold at a low price. Almost all of mine were bought new in the 1940's and 1950's. They are all working just fine to this day with nothing more serious than a new sac needed. My favorite Esterbrooks are the Esterbrook J with a 9550 (extra fine) nib. An Esterbrook J with a series 9xxx nib can be purchased in fully restored condition for $50 (US) or less. I realize there are not so many available outside the United States, but even with the cost of shipping, they are still very reasonable.

We'll keep looking for that supplier and for that Mont Blanc MP.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Thank you all for your great range of recommendations. I shall be a very happy bunny exploring these lovely items.

Brilliant network on here.

Diane

Welcome, Diane !

You already understand quality in fountain pens. Would you consider

"vintage" ? The years from 1884 to 1975-ish were years of great innovation. How about lower-tier fountain pens, intended for school pupils and department store sales associates ?

I cannot conceive of a reason a person would settle for only ONE fountain pen, or any reason for dipping one's toe into fountain pen ink. :lticaptd:

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hi Diane!

I'm itching to own a Visconti Divina Desert Spring. It is a beautiful looker as well as a good writer. I'd suggest you to dip your inky toes in the Desert Spring :D

If you are looking for something at the lower end, take a look at the Faber Castell Ondoro in 'Smoked Oak' wood finish. It is a reliable writer with a hexagonal shape and a nice heft to it.

Do let us know of your latest acquisition when you get it.

Cheers!

P.S. I tried attaching images, but it didn't let me. But you can have a look in Google search.

HI Diane,

That's armor hotdog question.....do you like fat pens, skinny pens, pens with springy nibs? You get the drift.....

-Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Great questions. My answer is limited by my experience so far. I'm comfortable with mid-width pens. Types of nibs? I've not tried enough different ones, yet.

And I know that would be a wise thing to do - try out different pens. That's not practically possible at the moment because of where I'm based, but I'm in this for the long haul so when opportunity presents itself I'll be exposing myself to more.

In the meantime all the wonderful suggestions I'm getting from posters helps to give me places to start looking. I said at the beginning that my asking for 'one pen' as a favourite would be difficult to answer, but it's a start and I am inspired by the recommendations. Thank you all. I spent most of last night reading up on Visconti pens; I love the golden ratio concept. And it led me on to read up on materials; celluloid/resin etc.

This is what is drawing me deeper into the subject. It also helps me to understand my own preferences better.

So, Bruce, something that interests me is what you find preferable with different nibs and why. How is springy better/worse than others? For you? What 'others' are there?

Hi Brohan,

What have you got me into? The Visconti signpost has got me hooked. The Desert Springs is truly gorgeous. I also like the black/silver; am I right in saying the only difference is the material? (I appreciate it's a big 'only')

On sites I've looked at the DS is more expensive than the other, except for one site which has them the other way around. Have I stumbled on a bargain?

Hi Jar,

Thank you for the pictures - I'm coming to realise that I have 2 interests (this is unlikely to be news to you all, but it's a discovery for me); form and function. I can see me building my everyday collection and another for pure beauty. And for those pens that fulfil both, well, those will be the keepers I imagine. To the 'grail'.

Thank you everyone..

These posts have highlighted manufacturers I would never have thought to look at, which is exactly what my original question was hoping to achieve. So thank you all. I know this thread will grow old quickly, but I hope the posts will continue because for me - and hopefully for other newbies - it's becoming a catalogue of inspiration.