Wahl-Eversharp Doric (2Nd Gen.) - In Need Of Repair Advice

beardedpens

Hello Everyone,

I finally created an account today after browsing these forums for the last few years. I am new to vintage pens, but not fountain pens in general. I often go to antique stores to pick up older pens, and can complete simple restorations. In this case I believe I have met my match.

I found this Doric for $20.00 at a local antique shop. Since then I have done a simple cleaning of the pen, and was able to free the plunger, along with the adjustment slider. The nib is very whet, and uber flexible... but is as sharp as a knife. The second issue is that the seals seem to have given out, and it refuses to drawing ink. The internal mechanism seems to be beyond my repair expertise, and at this point I don't want to damage the pen because the body is in almost perfect condition.

Who should I go to that could repair this pen? I'm a student and don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on this, but at the same time I don't want to break the pen of my dreams.

Images (Not sure if this is how i'm supposed to do this)
post-132315-0-99190200-1476029647_thumb.png
post-132315-0-07161000-1476029757_thumb.png
post-132315-0-39649400-1476030097_thumb.png
post-132315-0-01126400-1476030126_thumb.png
post-132315-0-18518500-1476030195_thumb.png

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• beardedpens

• sidthecat

• FarmBoy

• Aristosseur

You have scored something awesome.

The ends of this type of pen tend to deteriorate over time, especially on some colours. This seems to have none. On the nib side, you've gotten one of the biggest and rarest with the equally sought-after adjustable feature.

I would contact and have had a pen repaired by Syd, pensbury.com

You have scored something awesome.

The ends of this type of pen tend to deteriorate over time, especially on some colours. This seems to have none. On the nib side, you've gotten one of the biggest and rarest with the equally sought-after adjustable feature.

I would contact and have had a pen repaired by Syd, pensbury.com

It appears his website is no longer up, is he still in buisness? And is there another person I might be able to get ahold of for repair if I can't reach out to him?

Can't help you with a repairer recommendation, but that Doric is stunning, wish I could find such a bargain!!!

Marc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Very nice indeed...I picked one up last night - black, in indeterminate condition. I went onto the Pensbury site and didn't see anything about repairs. Perhaps Syd has decided to get a life.

You would need to send Syd an email. He might check in here.

Syd runns the W-E Pen company in real life.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• 3 weeks later...

Grrr this is the Doric of my dreams, an oversize second generation green shell in absolutely stunning condition...

Those sell 400+ on eBay...

Repairing those pens is quite hard but very pleasant and satisfying.

Why don't you ask Greg Minuskin or Nibs.com?

• 3 weeks later...

Some people just can't have lives.

I'd imagine he might be too busy to repair pens.

I'm now hoping to find someone at the Chicago Pen Show that might be able to help me out.

Grrr this is the Doric of my dreams, an oversize second generation green shell in absolutely stunning condition...

Those sell 400+ on eBay...

Repairing those pens is quite hard but very pleasant and satisfying.

Why don't you ask Greg Minuskin or Nibs.com?

Do you know if Greg Minuskin will be coming to the Chicago Pen Show?

Do you know if Greg Minuskin will be coming to the Chicago Pen Show?

I can ask him but I don't recall him saying he was going.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Just checking in on this post. If you have not found your repair person for your vacuum plunger filler Doric you can contact me at wahlnut@pensburymanor.com. Maybe I can help.

Syd

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

Just checking in on this post. If you have not found your repair person for your vacuum plunger filler Doric you can contact me at wahlnut@pensburymanor.com. Maybe I can help.

Syd

We have talked before via email, I'm not sure if you remember. In any case, I have sent another email. Hopefully it gets to you soon, will follow up with you there.

I've sent my Airliner and my Morocco ringtop to Mr. Minuskin, along with a sliderless nib I picked up somewhere. After some consideration, I decided to leave the nib on the Airliner because it's intact and ought to stay that way. I do want it to write, though. I can deal with a half-demolished nib on the ringtop, because I want it to be flexible.

These are the decisions one has to make when dealing with these things.

Enjoy your pen, dear.

I've sent my Airliner and my Morocco ringtop to Mr. Minuskin, along with a sliderless nib I picked up somewhere. After some consideration, I decided to leave the nib on the Airliner because it's intact and ought to stay that way. I do want it to write, though. I can deal with a half-demolished nib on the ringtop, because I want it to be flexible.

These are the decisions one has to make when dealing with these things.

Enjoy your pen, dear.

Indeed, best to keep things working if they aren't already broken.