Wing Sung 2007

GJMekenkamp

Dear fellow pen enthousiasts,

I have a question!

Does anybody know anything about the Wing Sung 2007?

There is an 'informal review' about this pen, but that is about it.

Is it a pen that is worth it to buy? I mean, 6 dollars is not expensive, but hey, the Jinhao 601 is 6 dollars and oh boy what a pen is that!

Looking forward to your replies!

Greetings,

A fountain pen nut

Edited by GJMekenkamp

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• bobje

• GJMekenkamp

• garyc

Ok, it depends on what you expect for your $6.

Personally, I think that if you get a screw cap pen, that writes for $6 you are already onto a winner.

It is a very light, all plastic pen, which due to its design is pretty attractive and different looking.

I have the red, and even though it has a fine nib, I really quite like it.

I've probably used it for about 3 ink fills, and it hasn't given any problems at all.

What I would say, is that as it is all plastic, it does feel quite flimsy and if you prefer a pen with more heft then it's a no, no.

It's a decent enough pen, that looks nice and writes well.

So is it worth the $6? ...of course it is.

There may be others which appear better value, but there's very little wrong with this pen, and very little to go wrong with it either.

Bearing in mind that certain sellers will give you at least 10% off, it's definitely worth considering, especially if you like a lightweight pen,that looks a wee bit different, and has a nice, fine nib.

Ian

GJ,

Ian is right. A faceted lightweight screw-cap pen with converter, that writes well for $6. Worth it. Is it a faceted, machined Omas? No, but it doesn't cost $500, either.

fpn_1446601570__wingsung-lucky-2007.jpg

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Thanks guys! This is the information I needed!

I ordered one and I hope I will love it!

I'll keep you posted :)

Good stuff

What colour did you go for?

Ian

I bought one in burgundy last night.

I did this purely on the basis that if you don't buy cheap pens, how will you ever be able to recognise the quality of a more expensive pen?

I did this purely on the basis that if you don't buy cheap pens, how will you ever be able to recognise the quality of a more expensive pen?

The question of subjective estimations of issues of quality aside, I find that I sooner pick up one of my 7007s than my much more expensive, and of supposed higher quality, Pilot Stella.

Edited by k3eax

Ahhhh, but what if you were to buy a "cheap" pen, that turns out only to be a cheap pen in price.

Would that not put the cat among the doo's. ;)

Ian

Ahhhh, but what if you were to buy a "cheap" pen, that turns out only to be a cheap pen in price.

Would that not put the cat among the doo's. ;)

Ian

I know, I know, 'cheap', 'expensive', 'quality' , it's all relative and largely irrelevant - if you enjoy using the pen then that's pretty much all that matters.

Currenly I am enjoying the green Picasso 915 which I ordered (as a result of your pictures and comments) in error, which as it turns out I actually prefer to the red version (which arrived a day earlier, despite being ordered a day later) as it has (to me) a more restrained chrome finish rather than gold. Also goes rather well with Diamine Umber.

Ian,

OK, I will bite. What does this phrase mean?

Would that not put the cat among the doo's?

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Hahaha, Sorry Bob.

It translates to "Set the cat amongst the pigeons" meaning basically that mayhem would ensue.

Ian

Hahaha, Sorry Bob.

It translates to "Set the cat amongst the pigeons" meaning basically that mayhem would ensue.

Ian

Your cat must be far more energetic than ours ...

• 4 weeks later...

I bought one, on the basis of this thread? I think?

Some weeks later it arrived, and I was initially disappointed at the light weight, as I thought it was a different pen.

As well, it initially was a very dry writer, until I loosened the tension between the end of the tines so that some ink could actually get through...

Now, I am quite impressed. For a pen of this price, its fit and finish are quite good. The shape is unusual, but it is a comfortable and pleasant pen to write with, especially when capped as it is so light.

I haven't done anything to the nib except spread the tines. It is an Asian fine nib, and writes smoothly without any scratchiness. No other adjustment was needed. Filled with the blend Noodler's Inkyman Sapphire, it is now just wet enough to shade a little, even though it is a fine nib.

Very happy with it for its price.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Ian,

OK, I will bite. What does this phrase mean?

Would that not put the cat among the doo's?

Hahaha, Sorry Bob.

Ian

Oh, I see. "Doo" is the Scots' mangling of charming attempt at pronouncing the word "dove". :)

Oh, I see. "Doo" is the Scots' mangling of charming attempt at pronouncing the word "dove". :)

:lticaptd: Excuse me!! Our superior linguistic loquaciousness is legendary. B)

You are correct though, of course.

I personally, when growing up couldn't understand how the home for said doves, in your version of English, was a "dovecote", yet somehow it was pronounced "dookit" in ours. :lol:

Much easier just to call it a pigeon loft.

Ian

:lticaptd: Excuse me!! Our superior linguistic loquaciousness is legendary. B)

You are correct though, of course.

I personally, when growing up couldn't understand how the home for said doves, in your version of English, was a "dovecote", yet somehow it was pronounced "dookit" in ours. :lol:

Much easier just to call it a pigeon loft. kitty take-away

Ian

There, fixed that for you...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

:lticaptd:

We call all the scraps in our house 'cat food', because when they are fed to the birds/rodents that's what they all turn into.

Yesterday our Main Coon cat 'Ozzie' came back with a lovely plump rat with a 6" long body, which (this time) he swapped for a tin of cat food. He normally eats them, particularly relishing the tail.

Regards,

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

GJ,

Ian is right. A faceted lightweight screw-cap pen with converter, that writes well for $6. Worth it. Is it a faceted, machined Omas? No, but it doesn't cost $500, either.

fpn_1446601570__wingsung-lucky-2007.jpg

Bob: Did tweaking the nib help with the 'feedback' issue? What is the nib size - #5?

:lticaptd:

We call all the scraps in our house 'cat food', because when they are fed to the birds/rodents that's what they all turn into.

Yesterday our Main Coon cat 'Ozzie' came back with a lovely plump rat with a 6" long body, which (this time) he swapped for a tin of cat food. He normally eats them, particularly relishing the tail.

Regards,

Richard

:lol:

Our old Maine Coon would not have had the the brain power to catch anything. Let alone then actually EAT it -- he had been a show cat before we got him, and he was a cat who got by in the world on his good looks (i.e., he was dumb as a post). He didn't even know how to chase the "evil red dot" (aka the laser pointer) -- he would just sit and watch it intently....

He did end *up* with a few mice over the years (generally the annual "pre-Pennsic mouse") -- but I suspect that either our "brave and mighty huntress" Obilot got it and then left it (she was the only cat we ever had that was really a mouser) -- or the mouse saw Byron and said "OMG -- that's the biggest cat I've ever SEEN!" and promptly had a coronary....

The cat that adopted my parents used to occasionally catch (and eat) mice -- and then puke them back up, generally in the middle of the garage floor.... My mother always used to wonder what the woman who bought that house from them thought when Baby showed up at the sliding glass door to the dining room wanting to come in.... (He was never their cat -- he belonged to the people who lived diagonally behind us, but was two-timing.... B) And since they got him declawed when he was a couple of years old :glare: it's no wonder he liked it at our house better....)

Back on topic:

I don't have one of the 2007s, but I have a Wing Sung 237, which sadly doesn't get much use these days -- it's a nice pen (much nicer than the price tag would have warranted). I pulled it out recently, meaning to put it back in rotation (I have a bunch of ink samples still to try), but then had too many pens inked up already.... :headsmack:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."