Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Significantly Different Ink Color With New Fine Parker Im, Normal?

lordfkiller

Today I bought a new Parker IM with a fine nib. This is the first time I buy a fine pen, hence the question.

Using the same ink in my new pen and my Waterman Perspective medium (Waterman Mysterious Blue ink, from the bottle for Parker and cartridge for Perspective), I compared the two pens. The Parker creates a very different color that is unusually light. It gets even lighter after writing a line or two. It's also as dry as they come.

Comparison sample attached. As I said, the color can get lighter at times. The camera is making it look sharper as well.

post-131848-0-27354200-1475509315_thumb.jpg

Edited by lordfkiller
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lordfkiller

• JonSzanto

• senzen

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Perspective looks to not only be a Medium, but a wet writer at that. More ink on the page can often mean a darker looking line. Paper and nib size/flow can have a dramatic effect on inks. For you to really understand what is going on, you should write with both pens when filled with *exactly* the same ink source (i.e. both from the same bottle).

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

The Perspective looks to not only be a Medium, but a wet writer at that. More ink on the page can often mean a darker looking line. Paper and nib size/flow can have a dramatic effect on inks. For you to really understand what is going on, you should write with both pens when filled with *exactly* the same ink source (i.e. both from the same bottle).

I thought Waterman Blue-Black always looked the same? I'll try what you said then.

Also how do you tell that it's a wet writer? I know it is though. It dries pretty quickly, but it does tend to feather and bleed through on even medium quality paper.

Edited by lordfkiller

A few options... Could the ink in the Waterman have been there for some time? Ink in most of my pens seems to evaporate to the point that ink looks way darker; it's very noticeable with Ama Iro which ends looking darker than Kon Peki, and with Ajisai.

Might have there been some water left in the new pen?

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

A few options... Could the ink in the Waterman have been there for some time? Ink in most of my pens seems to evaporate to the point that ink looks way darker; it's very noticeable with Ama Iro which ends looking darker than Kon Peki, and with Ajisai.

Might have there been some water left in the new pen?

The ink has been there for a few weeks for the Perspective, so yes. However, the fine (new) pen seems to be getting smoother and the color getting sharper too as I write more with it. Perhaps it's because it's new? I don't think there was any water inside because I just bought it.

:W2FPN:

Hi,

For the most part, FP inks are translucent dyes, not opaque pigments, hence it is not uncommon for the appearance and performance of an ink to vary when the pen+paper combo changes.

I've posted a Review of that ink, which is depicted using a number of pen+paper combos: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/219611-waterman-mysterious-blue/ . It should be noted that I write with a brisk light hand.

That Topic also mentions the oft-reported 'wobble' of WMBl under Self Comparison - Colour Shift. Mysterious indeed!

Cheers!

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I have often seen Sandy1's :notworthy1: ink reviews where the width of the pen and different papers make an ink look completely different.

It was a real shock to me, the first time I actually 'saw' it instead of just hearing about it.

Writing is 1/3 width&flex of the nib, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink and in that order.

So the next thing to do, is to start buying good to better papers. They cost two cans of machine bought Coke or two cups of Starbuck's coffee more than normal copy paper.

There is no perfect nib, no perfect paper, no perfect ink; there is however perfection that can be had with luck, were a nib, a paper and an ink all match. Our grail....

....and do keep a copy....do write that down in your log. :unsure: :( :wallbash: I have reached perfection once.....somewhere in my file I have that sheet, :gaah: Organization is half the war.....what should be engraved in my mind, is lost in a file. :crybaby:

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,..Bock nib factory.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

In case anyone doubts that many factors influence how an ink appears, here is something: we were doing an ink-guessing game, and I did a quick-and-dirty comparison. This is the exact, same ink on three different papers in three different-sized nibs. Ink flow, nib size, paper color and characteristics - all of these are factors that can have a significant impact on the look, and feel, of an ink.

http://i.imgur.com/L7UMiePh.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

inkstainedruth

If by Waterman Blue-Black, you mean Waterman Mysterious Blue -- then yes, it could either be the pen or the ink.

I've had people at my local pen club convinced that the pen they were trying had green ink in it. (Nope....) I've had radically different results with the same ink(s) in different pens (even if the same model) if they had different nib widths. Or, as JonSzanto shows, on different paper. I've even had differences if the two pens were the same model *and* nib width -- it just was that one wrote drier or wetter than the other one.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I totally agree with you guys. My problem was that the fine pen didn't produce a color that was strong enough and easy to read. That problem has resolved since after using the pen for a while.

Speaking of same ink and different colors, my Waterman Perspective (medium) writes darker for a few lines after not using it for a day or more. I assume it's the ink in the feed and nib which has evaporated and thickened. Is there a solution for that?

Speaking of same ink and different colors, my Waterman Perspective (medium) writes darker for a few lines after not using it for a day or more. I assume it's the ink in the feed and nib which has evaporated and thickened. Is there a solution for that?

Yeah: write more often.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Yeah: write more often.

He he, true! Or keep your pen in a zippered pouch, seems to make a big difference for mine.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell