First $400-$1600 Luxury Fountain Pen? (Namiki Yukari Royale/emporer, Danitrio Densho Shu-Dame....)

nmcnick

For that kind of dosh you can get a pen with a really good vintage nib. I won an auction for an Eclipse set once owned by a professional calligrapher. It's got a Warranted nib of exceptional quality. It wasn't cheap, but if it had been a Waterman or a Mabie Todd it would have cost twice what I bid.

It might be worth it to try some of those older pens, because the experience of writing with a vintage flex pen is just different, and I'd argue better, than just about any modern pen.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nmcnick

• zaddick

• jar

• sandy101

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost nothing you mentioned in your list, or the recommended pens by other has a soft nib. I think thr softest on your original list is the Danitrio, but guess what- it is a Bock nib.

IF you like the loom of the Pilot 823, I would encourage you to seek out an amber demo with an FA nib. These are the most flexible of thr nibs, but not overly soft. Lots of ink capacity, rugged and not too expensive. I think Tokyo Quill will sell the 823 with that nib (it's not standard).

I like Danitrio pens a lot and find them a good value. I have a fairly broad collection so PM me if you have questions about them.

Nakaya are nice too but the nibs are stiffer. Platinum Izumo are nice but the threads bother some folks and the nibs are stiff.

A Pelikan M800 has a firm nib, but is a nice pen otherwise. I prefer the larger M1000 as the nib is a lot softer. The ability to swap nibs is a great aspect of the Pelikan pens and something to consider seriously.

The Yukari Royal is haleavy as the pen has a brass body. Nice pens but a stiff nib. You can probably find a used one in the $800 - 900 range.

I am a big fan of the montblanc 149. Older ones have a bit of spring to the nib and if you go far enough back you can get decent flex. They also still service older pens if you run into issues.

I'll end with the advice to buy what you really want in the end. That is the best way to save money in the long run.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Also, Visconti are hit or miss for some folks. I have had many over the years but several were not top notch quality. I am talking pens with list prices of $2K. I'd buy a used one that you know is sorted oit already. Also, not a soft nib.

The Sailor KOP is a very stiff nib. You also suffer from limited ink capacity. If I was to get one I would want the ebonite version. You should be able to find one for less than the price you listed for the plastic version.

Hmm yeah I see what you mean by "true soft nibs" not being listed. The only two id get at this point for some nice flex are a waterman 57 ideal, modern wahl-eversharp decoband or something with a FA nib. Thanks for the recommendations! How soft is a soft nakata nib with elastic finishing?

The only pen on your list that I own is the Aurora Optima. It's one of my favourite pens. However, soft nib it is not. If you want a soft nib, scratch that from the list, Aurora nibs are really hard, although smooth and pretty, nibs.

Hmm yeah I see what you mean by "true soft nibs" not being listed. The only two id get at this point for some nice flex are a waterman 57 ideal, modern wahl-eversharp decoband or something with a FA nib. Thanks for the recommendations! How soft is a soft nakata nib with elastic finishing?

I don't have one, but my understanding is that the flexibility allows the nib to come away from the feed, not to spread the tines. There is a risk it can cause the feed to hit the paper when writing. I'll leave it to others with more experience to add more details.

I love the new WE Decoband. You can find my review in the reviews forum.

Edited by zaddick