• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mongoosey

• inkstainedruth

• bemon

• vicpen123

Kaweco sport in my pocket, always. Wish it had a finer nib though because it is mostly for notes on the go and so always terrible paper. But so easy to take out and jot down whatever I need to while in the subway!

And in my case (a box actually), always in my bag: Ahab, Dixie #10 (how I love it), even the Triple Tail (definitely not for everyday writing but just because it's so fun to have around), and soon probably a resin Konrad.

My standard EDC consists of six items:

Inside a 3-pen Pelikan leather pouch (with flap closure):

1.) a Pelikan Mxxx, as part of a regular rotation.

2.) some kind of ballpoint (often a matching Kxxx to the current Mxxx, but not necessarily).

3.) one of my Edisons, inked with a contrasting color to the Mxxx.

Inside a Travelers Notebook (regular size):

4.) one of my Lamy Studios (rotated quarterlycurrently an Olive inked with Iroshizku Shin-ryoku)

In my briefcase:

5.) some kind of pencil

6.) a soft white stick eraser

I've been carrying around a Pilot Prera-F loaded with Heart of Darkness,

and a rOtring Tikky Ballpoint loaded with an SXR-600-07 refill for a while now and that's been pretty nice.

Ooo. What a combo for foolproof writing . . . :)

Guilty as charged lol. I can't sleep well at night if I don't have a fountain pen inked with something bulletproof like that lol.

I've been carrying around a Pilot Prera-F loaded with Heart of Darkness,

and a rOtring Tikky Ballpoint loaded with an SXR-600-07 refill for a while now and that's been pretty nice.

I have a Pilot Prera fine. A very sticky pen, anguished ink flow. Does Noodlers get good flow in these pens?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Guilty as charged lol. I can't sleep well at night if I don't have a fountain pen inked with something bulletproof like that lol.

I'm the same way. I always want at least one pen inked up with something that's good for addressing envelopes and signing checks (at the moment that also happens to be Heart of Darkness, but also diluted El Lawrence).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

All Lamys here: a 2000 inked with Monteverde Horizon Blue as my main pen, and two Studios is I need a red (Iroshizuku Yama-Budo) or black (Herbin Perle Noir). All F nibs. I frequently also have an Aion with a 1.1 stub inked with Horizon Blue too.

My EDC (only) pen/ink for a long time now is: an old scratched up pilot matte black vanishing point filled with pilot blue black ink.

The VP is built like a tank and along with my 350 ml stock bottle of pilot blue black, I doubt I'll need to spend money on pens and inks for many years. Not having to spend time maintaining multiple pens and cleaning multiple inks out of them is also wonderful. Not to have to mess around with really hard to clean inks like some of the noodler's varieties is especially nice. Plus the pilot BB ink is so water resistant - no bulletproof ink needed. :lol:

As one who, like many of you, has spent a lot of time down in the ink/pen rabbit hole, it now feels liberating just having one pen and one ink. I highly recommend it. :cloud9:

My EDC (only) pen/ink for a long time now is: an old scratched up pilot matte black vanishing point filled with pilot blue black ink.

The VP is built like a tank and along with my 350 ml stock bottle of pilot blue black, I doubt I'll need to spend money on pens and inks for many years. Not having to spend time maintaining multiple pens and cleaning multiple inks out of them is also wonderful. Not to have to mess around with really hard to clean inks like some of the noodler's varieties is especially nice. Plus the pilot BB ink is so water resistant - no bulletproof ink needed. :lol:

As one who, like many of you, has spent a lot of time down in the ink/pen rabbit hole, it now feels liberating just having one pen and one ink. I highly recommend it. :cloud9:

That's where I think I would like to be. Using only one pen. I am not sure the VP is the pen for me, but I have had one, and it's as good as any really good pen. Just seemed a bit large for me. It is a good choice for an only pen in use.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

My rotation varies in a 3 pen Nock Sinclair or Rickshaw Bags Deluxe Pen Roll

Current line up

• B) Pilot VP Stub or EF
  • :P Pilot 912 PO
  • :) Pilot Explorer
  • :) Big Idea Design Ti Ultra pen
  • :wub: Parker 51 Aerometric or Wing Sung 601
  • :) Leonardo Momento Zero
  • B) Opus 88 Omar with Jowo Flex
  • :P Monty Winnfield
  • :D Noodler's Boston Safety Pen
  • :wub: FPR Jaipur V2
  • :wub: Pelikan M101 in separate vintage Pelikan case to protect the precious

Recently retired:

• Platinum Briarwood
  • Lamy Safari
  • FPR Himalaya V2
  • Pilot Fermo

Things I learned the hard way:

• Just because you have >1 pen EDC, make sure they are inked up! - tried to sign card on Valentine's day for my beloved and 2 pens failed dry :headsmack: and had to make a poem about dried fountain pen ink
  • Susan Wirth was right - you only really need about 3 pens; my slant is 1 all-rounder, 1 special (italic/stub), 1 quick deploy with any one pen fitting 1 or more categories to mix and match. For me, the key is variety: ink color or line variation
  • Pen and Paper trumps Digital for thinking through problems: tmux panes/vim buffers, org-mode, MS Onenote, Freemind, wikis, etc. And my iPad Pro with Apple pencil and GoodNotes or Notability just doesn't cut it.

In my bag a four pen Pelikan case with Montblanc Classic size, Ballpoint, Rollerball, Felt Tip and Pencil.

(bleep) pocket almost always has a Parker ‘51. My calendar book has a fine nib P’51 in the pen sleeve.

What I really carry around, after thinking about it is either my Parker 51 ballpoint, my first 51, a medium or my 51 stub aero, all midnight blue and maybe the late aero 51 midnight blue twist pencil if crosswords ar involved. No bleep here.

Edited by pajaro

Looks like you misspelled "shirt"... ;)

Beats me. Between this spellcheck and the censors here on FPN, words sometimes don’t come out as intended. . Use to drive me crazy, i want to say that I've got use to it, but clearly in this case they got me..lol...

I'm the same way. I always want at least one pen inked up with something that's good for addressing envelopes and signing checks (at the moment that also happens to be Heart of Darkness, but also diluted El Lawrence).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I grew up using ballpoints, gel pens, and Pilot G2's, all of which were water resistant,

So when I adopted using fountain pens, the idea of using an ink that wasn't water resistant was outlandish to me! lol,

And since I'm the kind of person who only likes to have 1, maybe 2, fountain pens inked at a time, I just stick to water-resistant inks.

HOD is one of my fav's! But I'll be honest, I use it as a Kiwa-Guro alternative, which writes too dry in my Prera. I don't prefer how HOD writes a thicker than normal line, but at about 1/3-1/4 the cost of Kiwa-Guro, I'm OK with it in a finer nib.

Edited by Mongoosey

In the last year or so I've gone from carrying two pens, to three, to six, and, starting today, back to three. Which may become four tomorrow?

I use one of the new formula Franklin Christoph Penvelopes, in brown -- though it looks more like a charcoal-y black to me.

In it I have:

- Pilot Vanishing Point Tropical Turquoise inked with Colorverse Gravity Wave

- Pilot Custom 823 Amber Inked with Sailor Yama Dori

- Sailor Realo Tenku Gensou inked with Sailor Oku Yama

I have a Galaxy Raden Vanishing Point coming in today that may usurp the Realo, which I haven't been using as much. I loved the variety of carrying six pens, but over the last few months I never emptied anything but the Vanishing Point and the 823 -- and I was flying through those fills -- so I thought it was time to downsize.

Edited by qweers

In the last year or so I've gone from carrying two pens, to three, to six, and, starting today, back to three. Which may become four tomorrow?

I use one of the new formula Franklin Christoph Penvelopes, in brown -- though it looks more like a charcoal-y black to me.

In it I have:

- Pilot Vanishing Point Tropical Turquoise inked with Colorverse Gravity Wave

- Pilot Custom 823 Amber Inked with Sailor Yama Dori

- Sailor Realo Tenku Gensou inked with Sailor Oku Yama

I have a Galaxy Raden Vanishing Point coming in today that may usurp the Realo, which I haven't been using as much. I loved the variety of carrying six pens, but over the last few months I never emptied anything but the Vanishing Point and the 823 -- and I was flying through those fills -- so I thought it was time to downsize.

I think three pens is the sweet spot. For me at least. I'm just constantly in a battle with myself between using pens one at a time and cycling them and manically laughing as I ink them all.

Currently carrying 4 and they're not getting full use.

Edited by bemon