Legal pads in Australia

versus

I picked up a few of the Double A brand "Storm" notebooks (with the plastic covers) from Officeoworks over the weekend and these are great! Very smooth paper, no bleedthrough or feathering with any of the inks I've tried in them so far. They come as either A4 or A5 spiral bound notebooks and are around $5 each.

I haven't seen the notebooks yet, but I have a sample pack of Double A premium cut sheet paper. It's not as nice as the Stora Enso 4CC paper, but it was still more than acceptable. If they have used the same paper in their notebooks, they would be very nice.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkypete

• Phthalo

• dcwaites

• feiye

I picked up a few of the Double A brand "Storm" notebooks (with the plastic covers) from Officeoworks over the weekend and these are great! Very smooth paper, no bleedthrough or feathering with any of the inks I've tried in them so far. They come as either A4 or A5 spiral bound notebooks and are around $5 each.

Thanks for the tip - I'm not familiar with them but will check them out asap. They seem well priced - what do they look like?

See here: http://www.officeworks.com.au/office-suppl...EDSL010BE.shtml

According to the website, they come in A4, A5 and A6 sizes. They're ruled inside 8mm I believe and the paper is smoother than the Double A copy paper but the same weight.

In rotation:

Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji

Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue

Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran

Dymocks also sells the Tudor Executive Grid Pad, which I picked up many months ago. The paper is very smooth, almost waxy. There is no feathering, but some pens skip and certain inks take an eternity to dry. This can be troublesome.

Here's a sample I just made with whatever was lying around:

http://users.on.net/~alexanderino/tudor-pad.jpg

(To be removed in the future due to space constraints.)

Edited by alexanderino

Dymocks also sells the Tudor Executive Grid Pad, which I picked up many months ago. The paper is very smooth, almost waxy. There is no feathering, but some pens skip and certain inks take an eternity to dry. This can be troublesome.

That's some very impressive doodling there :P your handwriting is just wonderful!

And that Dragon's Napalm looks very pretty.

In rotation:

That's some very impressive doodling there :P your handwriting is just wonderful!

And that Dragon's Napalm looks very pretty.

Why, thank you. And yes, Dragon's Napalm is growing on me. It's not trivial to nail the colour under uncontrolled light, though. The above image is too pink, while this one's too orange. Here's a more accurate image containing a DN sample.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen the notebooks yet, but I have a sample pack of Double A premium cut sheet paper. It's not as nice as the Stora Enso 4CC paper, but it was still more than acceptable. If they have used the same paper in their notebooks, they would be very nice.

I picked up an A5 Storm notebook today, and am very impressed.The paper is very smooth, and very FP friendly. I tried a number of pens and inks, including Ottoman Aqua (a blend of Ottoman Azure and Diamine Aqua), Tropical Ocean Blue (a blend of PR American Blue and Diamine Aqua), PR DC Supershow Blue and Noodler's Baystate Blue. As well I tried a Pilot V-Pen with its original Blue, which bleeds and feathers a lot. None feathered, and none bled except a very wet Jinhao X-450 with Baystate Blue.

I did the same tests with a Tudor Eco notebook, and the Double A Storm notebook fared far better than the Tudor Eco notebook.

Granny Aching

I picked up an A5 Storm notebook today, and am very impressed.The paper is very smooth, and very FP friendly. I tried a number of pens and inks, including Ottoman Aqua (a blend of Ottoman Azure and Diamine Aqua), Tropical Ocean Blue (a blend of PR American Blue and Diamine Aqua), PR DC Supershow Blue and Noodler's Baystate Blue. As well I tried a Pilot V-Pen with its original Blue, which bleeds and feathers a lot. None feathered, and none bled except a very wet Jinhao X-450 with Baystate Blue.

I did the same tests with a Tudor Eco notebook, and the Double A Storm notebook fared far better than the Tudor Eco notebook.

Where did you get them? Officeworks shows them as only being available online.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

feiye, in her original post on them, mentioned that she got hers from an Officeworks. However, I have looked in my two local ones (Campbelltown and Liverpool) and they don't have them. I found mine in a little stationery shop in Dumaresq St, Campbelltown.

Details --

Reliable Stationery & Art Supplier

39- 41 Dumaresq St Campbelltown NSW 2560

ph: (02) 4625 2600

Curiously, the owner there is very interested in fountain pens, and has had a number of enquiries about inexpensive pens for school use. I went down there to show him some - Hero 329 & 100, Jinhao X-450, Platinum Preppy, and give him contacts where he could get some for stock. In return he gave me a little Indian pen to try, that is made in his hometown in India. It looks like a Parker 21, in eyedropper format.

As well as the Storm notebooks, he also has the Tudor Eco range and Stora Enso 4CC paper, and he is aware that all these are very FP friendly.

Granny Aching

You're right. After trying several Officeworks shops around Sydney, including their 'Superstore' at Alexandria, I bit the bullet and ordered some online.

I got two of the plastic covered A4 notebooks and a hardcover A4 notebook. All are wirebound.

The two plastic covered A4 notebooks have 150 pages, and the hardcover and the A5 plastic covered one (bought earlier) have 220 pages.

The small order shipping cost was $5.45 and there is a handling cost of $3.95. It's worthwhile making a decent order, although I have wasted more in petrol than this, just in going up to the Liverpool Officeworks.

I ordered it on Friday and it arrived first thing this morning, in a big cardboard box, PROTECTED FROM THE ELEMENT with large air-filled sausages.

Granny Aching

You're right. After trying several Officeworks shops around Sydney, including their 'Superstore' at Alexandria, I bit the bullet and ordered some online.

I got two of the plastic covered A4 notebooks and a hardcover A4 notebook. All are wirebound.

The two plastic covered A4 notebooks have 150 pages, and the hardcover and the A5 plastic covered one (bought earlier) have 220 pages.

The small order shipping cost was $5.45 and there is a handling cost of $3.95. It's worthwhile making a decent order, although I have wasted more in petrol than this, just in going up to the Liverpool Officeworks.

I ordered it on Friday and it arrived first thing this morning, in a big cardboard box, PROTECTED FROM THE ELEMENT with large air-filled sausages.

I did the same thing - ordered online at 10am and received the order that afternoon at 4pm. Sensational service but no so the books.

Using my modern duofold withan itallic nib, a Parker 75 med, a Lamy broad and a Lamy fine, they all feathered and blead. The books look great but are not FP friendly. Could only get a couple of pens to write without blead. Disappointing results from a notebook that looked very promising.

feiye, in her original post on them, mentioned that she got hers from an Officeworks.

I had previously purchased some last year during the back to school sale and they were all great. I went to the West Ryde Officeworks and bought out the last few they had in stock.

I did the same thing - ordered online at 10am and received the order that afternoon at 4pm. Sensational service but no so the books.

Using my modern duofold withan itallic nib, a Parker 75 med, a Lamy broad and a Lamy fine, they all feathered and blead. The books look great but are not FP friendly. Could only get a couple of pens to write without blead. Disappointing results from a notebook that looked very promising.

:blink: Have they changed the paper formulation or something? None of my books bleed or feather, and I use my rather wet 2000 in them without any problems. Do you perhaps want me to send you a sample of the paper in the ones I have? If they're good for you, I can send you one of the notebooks from my own stash (I have about one or two I can spare, let me have a dig around)?

Sorry about your poor experience with them! They are my favourite spiral bound notebooks.

In rotation:

Hi Alex,

Just wanted to say that you have lovely writing!

Cheers,

Soki

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

• 7 years later...

Also living in country Western Australia means, getting Rhodia pads from over east cost an arm and a leg. Hopefully these pads will do the trick.

Edited by OdysseyUnkown

Also living in country Western Australia means, getting Rhodia pads from over east cost an arm and a leg. Hopefully these pads will do the trick.

Buy a stash from notemaker.com.au and delivery is free.