Kanwrite Heritage: The Reliable Piston Filler

Samrat

Hello....

A nice detailed review and nice photos...

However i have some serious questions to the author and i guess many out there who read your review will have same....

1. Costing 1500/- or $25 plus postage additional!!!! Does a pen costing more than One Throusand Rupees seem to be an affordable FP? From which kind or class of consumer is it affordable. There are many more better quality pens at far lesser price.

2. For this price something made of a non durable plastic which can catch scratches soon? Incase of ebonite like Airmail or FPR/asapens or a metal construction like Pilot then the cost would have been justified. Those cost similar and offer slightly better or far better construction.

3. Can the author please justify and explain why would anyone not choose Ahab or Pilot or pens from FPR or asapens which are of far better quality and lesser price?????

4. Would it not be an intelligent solution to have those Kanwrite nibs on other better constructed pens???

5. Holds just 1.2ml ink? With a Flex nib or stub the consumption will be huge. Very impractical planning not to have this as an eyedropper. Nonetheless it can't be converted to an ED either. Camlin Trinity a Rs100/- pen has 3in1 operation and a 15 times costlier pen doesn't. Hilerious if I may say!

I have been so entrigued, surprised and unconvienced by this review (and there is one more here!) that I had to question the authors for those few things that keep running in my mind....

*******This reviews on Heritage has been unable to justify the price point vis-a-vis the contruction, finesse and usage...and A Reason why choose This over other pens who are better constructed and quality- the ability to use flex with 1.2ml ink capacity

I would be happy to be proven wrong on these reasonable doubts by the authors :)

Edited by ajaynatu

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Samrat

• Arbitzeta

• bobje

• ajaynatu

Dear Ajaynatu, each company has various selling products catering to different segments of buyers/ different market demands...like Camlin Pens, Kanwrite have some very cheap ED, piston, cartidge/ convertor or 3-in-1 system enabled pens like Kanwrite Desire, Zyphr, Saloon, Relik etc. Likewise Heritage is just one of their products and nowhere in my review I have claimed its the only product from Kanwrite. Its one of their top range piston filler pen. Piston fillers attract many buyers separately as they find it more convenient to fill the pen. There are not much quality piston filler at this price point, there is one Gama piston filler made of ebonite, recently launched at rs1500 price. There were Chelpark Sona at rs 300 which was very good piston filler pen with limited nib options, but now discontinued. Few generic Indian piston fillers are available in ebay India website, but most are basically rebranded Kanwrite products. Ahab for your information is made by the same Kanwrite company for Noodlers company. About ASA and FPR pens- ASA pens are very good for price and I had done multiple reviews of them, I am waiting for their piston filler just like you. FPR is basically pricing wality/ airmail pens 3-4 times and cheating buyers from abroad. I do have Wality pens and I cannot say they have the same functionality as this pen. About putting Kanwrite nibs on other pens- yes, no problem. But this is a review of a pen and not the nibs, people are welcome to experiment. I have put Kanwrite nibs to my Guider pens. The ink volume is a big let down for everyone....but again ink requirements vary considerably. The whole point was a reliable piston filler at this price point which is difficult to find. I have also done a review of Kanwrite Desire as a cheap 3-in-1 EDC pen for rs 500 with similar nib options. Kanwrite has introduced new acrylic material with more polish. About who can buy a fountain pen for rs 1500- let's not get into that discussion. There are cheaper pens with good experience like Chinese pens, few Pilot models, even a Sailor clear candy and Platinum preppy or plaisir. Its upto a certain buyer to invest for a pen at the price the manufacturer/ seller asks and many would concur with you that this pen seems overpriced. Again many are buying this pen even without going through a review. My review was to disclose whatever I gathered and I think I have written down most points, be it positive or negetive for the product. The buying decision rests with buyer and certainly not every buyer will think that rs 1500 is too much. Hope this helps you.

Edited by Samrat

The thing is any review of any pen doesn't ask people to buy the same....its just detailing one's experience of a product...and also it doesn't bring why people shouldn't buy other products...they might buy many many pens or a single cheap pen...there seems to be every kind of person on this market...the collector, user, shaky user, thise who use pens for signing only, for important documents, for personal writings, full time use etc etc. Please don't assume that if one is sharing about a pen, its an advertisement...its basically to help others decide about the product.

Edited by Samrat

Thank you again, Samrat, for this comprehensive review, as well as for your compelling follow-up information.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Ajaynatu, each company has various selling products catering to different segments of buyers/ different market demands...like Camlin Pens, Kanwrite have some very cheap ED, piston, cartidge/ convertor or 3-in-1 system enabled pens like Kanwrite Desire, Zyphr, Saloon, Relik etc. Likewise Heritage is just one of their products and nowhere in my review I have claimed its the only product from Kanwrite. Its one of their top range piston filler pen. Piston fillers attract many buyers separately as they find it more convenient to fill the pen. There are not much quality piston filler at this price point, there is one Gama piston filler made of ebonite, recently launched at rs1500 price. There were Chelpark Sona at rs 300 which was very good piston filler pen with limited nib options, but now discontinued. Few generic Indian piston fillers are available in ebay India website, but most are basically rebranded Kanwrite products. Ahab for your information is made by the same Kanwrite company for Noodlers company. About ASA and FPR pens- ASA pens are very good for price and I had done multiple reviews of them, I am waiting for their piston filler just like you. FPR is basically pricing wality/ airmail pens 3-4 times and cheating buyers from abroad. I do have Wality pens and I cannot say they have the same functionality as this pen. About putting Kanwrite nibs on other pens- yes, no problem. But this is a review of a pen and not the nibs, people are welcome to experiment. I have put Kanwrite nibs to my Guider pens. The ink volume is a big let down for everyone....but again ink requirements vary considerably. The whole point was a reliable piston filler at this price point which is difficult to find. I have also done a review of Kanwrite Desire as a cheap 3-in-1 EDC pen for rs 500 with similar nib options. Kanwrite has introduced new acrylic material with more polish. About who can buy a fountain pen for rs 1500- let's not get into that discussion. There are cheaper pens with good experience like Chinese pens, few Pilot models, even a Sailor clear candy and Platinum preppy or plaisir. Its upto a certain buyer to invest for a pen at the price the manufacturer/ seller asks and many would concur with you that this pen seems overpriced. Again many are buying this pen even without going through a review. My review was to disclose whatever I gathered and I think I have written down most points, be it positive or negetive for the product. The buying decision rests with buyer and certainly not every buyer will think that rs 1500 is too much. Hope this helps you.

Dear Samrat,

Thank you for the clarifications. I still had some reservations about this. After a lot of thinking I ordered it to test whats so special about it. Been a little over 3 weeks now I am using Heritage and now I have stopped using it. Washed, cleaned, dried and stored it back of the study table.

1. About Airmail/Wality pens being sold at 3-4times the cost on FPR; i totally agree with you. Im a regular user of those for past 25yrs ( thats the instrument i started learning writing with rather than a pencil) and on seeing the pricing on FPR left me astounded.

2. I knew about Ahab being made by Kanwrite, however Kanwrite does not offer that to Indian customers directly. Anyways, not the point of discussion.

3. About Wality pens not having same funcionality as Heritage- I totally disagree. Again, its an indivudual choice and requirement one has from a FP. I have been using Heritage past 3 weeks now and totally disappointed.

4. Comparable to Wality/ ASA/ Camlin

a> Skipping- Half the sentence is over written- tried the stub and flex. There is a good wet feed but it does not flow till the paper. I suspected a baby bottom issue with it. Wality,ASA,Camlin,Pilot,Gama have till now never had this issue. Extremly reliable FPs.

b> Ink capacity- Even you agree to that. With a stub and flex, I have never gone more than a page. Usage is limited only for Signatures and not even taking notes.

c> Material - Plastic?!!!! Not a sturdy pen that gives a feel of holding it in hand. Prone to cracks. Comparable to what rest offers- again price to quality- Wality/ASA has much more reliable construction.

5. Whats good:

a> Nib options: Its a whole page long nib options which i just loved. This is not seen in Wality.

b> Nib smoothness: though excessive skipping, whatever little i could get to write it was butter smooth.

6. About Kanwrite offering other models. Yes, least they match with the quality vis-a-vis the price they have. Camparing Heritage 1500/- to ASA/Gama models around same 1000/- bracket it is sensible to go for later. Again, this is in comparison to the usage, reliability, material, construction.

6. About who can afford 1500/- is not the point. Its about getting worth every rupee out of it. Which i think Heritage fails in giving.

This is my take, our opinions differ on this and thats the best part. If all agree then there is no discussion :).

***Loved the photography , beautiful clicks :)

Edited by ajaynatu

• 1 year later...

Great pen. Loved it from the start. ef nibs are smooth as butter. For me, they are batter than plantinum and pilot efs. So value for money for me at least.

I'm weird and actually enjoy the smell of CAB, but I just find the material to not feel quite right in the hand, and the material is prone to evaporate the ink.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I'm weird and actually enjoy the smell of CAB, but I just find the material to not feel quite right in the hand, and the material is prone to evaporate the ink.

They have stopped using CAB. its all acrylic now afaik.

Edited by mohit agrawal

• 2 months later...

They have stopped using CAB. its all acrylic now afaik.

Does that mean that all the Heritage models and Desire models are using acrylic now??? That would be great news!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

You're welcome Samrat da . Really nice review .. incidentally I have the exact same Kanwrite heritage with nib units F,M,B,BB, B stub ,M stub , RtOlbq ,left oblq, semi flex F, SF M ,SF B.. the best thing about this pen is its convenience and durability also it's adapting nature to the situations demand. Kanwrite provides nib units in protected box . I always carry different ones , depending on paper just swap in one F or stub or a B, real quick. Great nibs in good price is the best thing about this pen . Sandeepji has been doing a great job to bridge the gap of good Indian nibs . Highly recommended pen and specially nibs .. Also do try the stubs they are just amazing. Tipping in the stub makes them very useful in daily writing without being too much stubbish also gives a little flare in the handwriting.. :)

Can you post a review of writing with the stub?

I got a kanwrite medium flex. What other nib option should I try?

Zeta

I was tempted to buy a Heritage after already having a Desire. However, there's no particular capacity advantage.

What about a Ranga 8B with a section bored & threaded to accept the Kanwrite nib unit? Thus you can have all the ebonite and acrylic choices and Kanwrite are still selling nibs.

I was tempted to buy a Heritage after already having a Desire. However, there's no particular capacity advantage.

What about a Ranga 8B with a section bored & threaded to accept the Kanwrite nib unit? Thus you can have all the ebonite and acrylic choices and Kanwrite are still selling nibs.

I like the idea, but I don't want to mix nibs and pen deliberately. Somehow, I can't get rid of the idea that a pen without its nib is not really that pen.

So I already have the Gama pen for a different capacity and body. What nib will you suggest kanwrite other than medium flex that I have? Will find its pen accordingly. :)

Zeta