Noodler's Kiowa Pecan

white_lotus

Noodler's isn't a brand that needs an introduction. One of the first of the "new" ink brands, Mr. Nathan Tardiff produces an almost dizzying array of inks, many with specialized applications (non-freezing Polar inks) and unique qualities (bulletproof and security inks) or incredible dye load and saturation (the Baystate colors) as well as regular old good inks. The labels for his inks are equally noted for their wit and creativity, and sometimes you just have to have a bottle of one of his inks just because the label is so cool or outrageous even though you know you'll never use that color.

Be that as it may, Kiowa Pecan is a lovely golden brown ink. Many ink brands have a brown ink, but the golden browns are much more rare. Sailor has some in their store-exclusive line, and I'm sure there must be something in the extensive Diamine and DeAtramentis lines, but I'm not so familiar with their inks, which is probably my loss.

The ink shades well, dries fairly fast, and is quite water resistant, but not waterproof. On Tomoe River the shading is wonderful. I can only imagine what calligraphic beauty flex nib lovers can create with this ink. No staining on the converter at all but because the ink is mostly waterproof, you do need extra effort to fully clean the feed.

Definitely a good ink to have in your repertory if the color is to your fancy.

Now my only issue is that the swabs and samples on the web show very different inks. This ink was purchased from Anderson Pens in February of this year. And the color here looks like what I see in their sample and swab. But other online shops show a much darker color and swab. So you may want to check if that's important to you.

The usual papers here: Mohawk via Linen=MvL, Tomoe River=TR, Hammermill 28 ln inkjet=Hij.

fpn_1474307525__dscn1505.jpg

fpn_1474307553__dscn1506.jpg

fpn_1474307580__dscn1492.jpg

fpn_1474307602__dscn1511.jpg

A very unusual mixture of dyes to produce this ink. For those doing ink washes and the like you may get some interesting separations.

fpn_1474307629__dscn1513.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• white_lotus

• SlowRain

• Tas

• dvalliere

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks as always for the review.
I tried Kiowa Pecan a couple of years ago, and the color didn't wow me. But that's the great thing about having a plethora of inks -- what I like someone might not, and vice versa.

And it's also very pen and paper dependent as to what works well: I hated Noodler's Walnut when I first tried it, because I found it was very dry. But when I pulled the sample out a couple of years later and put the ink in a wet-writing Pelikan M400, it was as if it was a completely different ink.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I used to really like sketching with this ink. The lines were expressive and, as you say, the washes were wonderful.

Sadly for me at least it never seemed to flipping dry. Days later it'd smudge right of the page. :wacko:

I only use it for mixing now - in hindsight I should have sent it to Sinistral1 for sample distribution.

Noodler's isn't a brand that needs an introduction. One of the first of the "new" ink brands, Mr. Nathan Tardiff produces an almost dizzying array of inks, many with specialized applications (non-freezing Polar inks) and unique qualities (bulletproof and security inks) or incredible dye load and saturation (the Baystate colors) as well as regular old good inks. The labels for his inks are equally noted for their wit and creativity, and sometimes you just have to have a bottle of one of his inks just because the label is so cool or outrageous even though you know you'll never use that color.

Be that as it may, Kiowa Pecan is a lovely golden brown ink. Many ink brands have a brown ink, but the golden browns are much more rare. Sailor has some in their store-exclusive line, and I'm sure there must be something in the extensive Diamine and DeAtramentis lines, but I'm not so familiar with their inks, which is probably my loss.

The ink shades well, dries fairly fast, and is quite water resistant, but not waterproof. On Tomoe River the shading is wonderful. I can only imagine what calligraphic beauty flex nib lovers can create with this ink. No staining on the converter at all but because the ink is mostly waterproof, you do need extra effort to fully clean the feed.

Definitely a good ink to have in your repertory if the color is to your fancy.

Now my only issue is that the swabs and samples on the web show very different inks. This ink was purchased from Anderson Pens in February of this year. And the color here looks like what I see in their sample and swab. But other online shops show a much darker color and swab. So you may want to check if that's important to you.

The usual papers here: Mohawk via Linen=MvL, Tomoe River=TR, Hammermill 28 ln inkjet=Hij.

fpn_1474307525__dscn1505.jpg

fpn_1474307553__dscn1506.jpg

fpn_1474307580__dscn1492.jpg

fpn_1474307602__dscn1511.jpg

A very unusual mixture of dyes to produce this ink. For those doing ink washes and the like you may get some interesting separations.

fpn_1474307629__dscn1513.jpg

Wow, what a pretty ink! I've never tried this particular one but now I may have to! Lovely review. Thanks!

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

• 1 year later...

Anyone else use this ink? What are your thoughts? I'm looking for a semi-water-resistant brownish ink, and this one has caught my eye. I'm a little concerned about drying times, though. I'll most likely use it on Life Noble paper (this one: Thanks.

I filled A Parker 51 with this ink at the Boston Pen show and it worked, behaved, and looked excellent.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

This is just one of the most outstanding brown inks made. It's super water resistant, gorgeous color, professional, archival, tamper proof, gorgeous shading, and behaves really well on cheap paper.

For me, drying times are great.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

It is one of my favorites and has been for years. It may turn out to be the first ink I actualy HAVE to buy a second bottle of

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I love Kiowa Pecan IF I am using absorbent paper. Non-absorbent papers were incompatible; the ink refused to dry.

I love Kiowa Pecan IF I am using absorbent paper. Non-absorbent papers were incompatible; the ink refused to dry.

I'll be using it on Life (L!fe) Noble paper with a fine nib. Would that be okay for drying?

In the old days when they needed to turn the page and wanted the ink to be dry they used blotter paper.

I found that it was not merely slow to dry but did not dry...on non-absorbent paper. Blotter paper can be used but it killed the glorious shading of that particular ink.

Buy a sample of you want and try it with narrow pen and paper combos, if you want.

I wind use or buy Noodler's anymore.

• 2 months later...

Great review of a beautiful ink! I've heard its color referred to as "buttered toast", and so it is.

it makes me smile every time I have it inked in a pen (which is nearly always.)It behaves well and shades beautifully, making it a pleasure to use.

Thanks for this!

This is the sort of thing that can result when you put a wash of Kiowa Pecan and water onto glossy photo paper intended for inkjet printing. I'm fascinated by the complexity of this ink.

fpn_1520780978__kiowa-pecan-wash.jpg

This is the sort of thing that can result when you put a wash of Kiowa Pecan and water onto glossy photo paper intended for inkjet printing. I'm fascinated by the complexity of this ink.

fpn_1520780978__kiowa-pecan-wash.jpg

:wub:

More please, many, many more . . . :)

Edited by Tas

• 4 months later...

Thank you for this review which shows off its great shading. Leans orange for sure, but I like that. Yes, the drying time is loooong, as it is for Apache Sunset. Once, I even blew a fan onto the page for an hour and there will still some spots that hadn't dried. This was on Tomoe River. A perfect ink for autumn days.

pen_master