Parker Vacumatic Broken Section

digitalbrush

Just bought a Parker Vacumatic to restore. When I went to unscrew the section from the body, I found the part of the section that had the threads has basically snapped off with only one or two thread lines left on the section itself. The part that snapped off is still stuck in the body of the pen. Trying to figure out how to get it unscrewed out of the body. Does anyone have any suggestions to secure it back onto the section? Epoxy? Gorilla Glue? Or have a recommendation on where to buy a replacement section? Much thanks for help.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• digitalbrush

• FarmBoy

• Brian-McQueen

• bsenn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Replacement section is the way to go. Five star pens and pentooling have various replacement parts, they might have the section you need.

Wherever you look, they will need to know which size/model vac you have.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

REPLACE the section.

You will NEVER be able to glue the section back together and have it stand up to the stress of use. It may even break when screwing it back in.

As for getting the broken part out of the body, be VERY CAREFUL. Too much effort, in the wrong way, could break the barrel.

Some/many sections are secured into the body with shellac or thread sealant, so it could be difficult to get the broken part out. You will need CAREFUL use of heat to soften the shellac or thread sealant. You may have to break the threaded part of the section into small bits to take it out a piece a time. But again, be very careful to not apply stress to the body, or you could break the body.

Finally, if in doubt of your ability to remove the section remnant, send it off to a pro to do it.

I call it, knowing when to call in the experts.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Here is a picture. I placed the broken piece between the section and body. I'll check at Five Star again. Didn't look like they had one last I looked.

post-130034-0-73996500-1474263777_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture. I placed the broken piece between the section and body. I'll check at Five Star again. Didn't look like they had one last I looked.

Email them. They have more than is shown on the web site.

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

NEVER is such a strong word. I responded at the other forum as well.

Since this is a laminated celluloid section you can solvent weld it and insert a celluloid sleeve to make it work. I would need to remove a section from a pen to sell you one--it would be expensive but figure this is a 50ish section making a repair by someone that knows how to do the repair an option.

T

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

REPLACE the section.

You will NEVER be able to glue the section back together and have it stand up to the stress of use. It may even break when screwing it back in.

Never glue for the repair is correct. Having a strong enough solvent weld, maybe, but I wouldn't rely on it given how much stress is placed in that area.

I replace the section threads entirely. It isn't worth it on a black section, but for a striped section, especially for an OS section it is. In about 8 years of doing it, I've never had one come back or fail. Todd is in the ballpark for the cost of the repair.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

NEVER is such a strong word. I responded at the other forum as well.

Since this is a laminated celluloid section you can solvent weld it and insert a celluloid sleeve to make it work. I would need to remove a section from a pen to sell you one--it would be expensive but figure this is a 50ish section making a repair by someone that knows how to do the repair an option.

T

Are you saying you might have one to replace it?

Never glue for the repair is correct. Having a strong enough solvent weld, maybe, but I wouldn't rely on it given how much stress is placed in that area.

I replace the section threads entirely. It isn't worth it on a black section, but for a striped section, especially for an OS section it is. In about 8 years of doing it, I've never had one come back or fail. Todd is in the ballpark for the cost of the repair.

Ron, is this something you'd be able to do? I see that the celluloid shell is kind of "glued" or shellacked onto the section, but I'd love to keep the celluloid on the section if possible.

Curious isn't it.

What does the imprint on the barrel say?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

First, let me say that the best course of action for the section is to either find a replacement or have Ron turn you some new threads. No sort of cement or solvent weld will fix it properly.

This could be an interesting pen. Usually, pens that have a striped section and a cap with this profile have a short blind cap and a lockdown filler. Those with an earlier style-cap and later-style blind cap can be one of two things - a Frankenpen, or a so-called "1.5 Generation" pen (note that these don't really have a proper name, since they weren't catalogued). If the barrel measures 6.5 cm - just the barrel, from the blind cap seam to the end of the threads - then it is a 1.5 Generation Standard.

• 1 month later...

I use dry heat (1200W hairdryer) and a plumbers 'easy out' to remove broken pieces. As for replacing the section you should know that there are different sizes. The early ones are striped to match the barrels.

I have several Vac sections available.