Unboxing Of My New Midori Traveler's Notebook In The Color Camel

JohnSparegrave

Ok, I couldn't resist, after having the brown one for about a year with the Midori N°13 insert with its beautiful fountain pen paper, I had to get the camel when this color finally was available again...

Here is the link to my unboxing:

I hope the link works!

JS

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pavoni

• Ish.P

• Studio97

• Diderot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, I couldn't resist, after having the brown one for about a year with the Midori N°13 insert with its beautiful fountain pen paper, I had to get the camel when this color finally was available again...

Here is the link to my unboxing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jReE-f2Qops

I hope the link works!

JS

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully that'll be me on Friday :) I love the paper in that insert too.

I just ordered the midori travelor in black leather. Hope I like it as I really felt it was pricey but took the gamble anyway.

It must be Midori month! I've just ordered a black one today too, should be here on Friday. Let's compare notes :)

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully that'll be me on Friday :) I love the paper in that insert too.

It must be Midori month! I've just ordered a black one today too, should be here on Friday. Let's compare notes :)

Thanks for the unboxing video JS.

"Midori month"... like it :). Yesterday I picked up a new full-sized brown Midori, to go with my blue and my camel versions.

Nice to see you back on the FPN Pavoni. Hope you're well

Edited by slippery when wet

Thanks for the unboxing video JS.

"Midori month"... like it :). Yesterday I picked up a new full-sized brown Midori, to go with my blue and my camel versions.

Ooo, the blue one … :) Do you swop the contents from one to the other occasionally or use them for different things?

Ooo, the blue one … :) Do you swop the contents from one to the other occasionally or use them for different things?

No, I don't swap my inserts. Instead, I purposefully bought sufficient Midori and inserts for a specific set of needs.

I enjoy setting up my various Midori as self-contained, independent systems. For example, I am interested in foreign languages (camel standard Midori); penmanship (brown standard Midori); and helping my daughter with arithmetic (4x brown passport Midori); and then I have a general/travel Midori (blue) which has plastic pockets, zipper pocket, kraft folder etc. I simply take the relevant self-contained Midori to the task at hand. And they look fabulous and somewhat extravagant, stacked up on my writing desk at home.

For years I have relied on my A5 Montblanc Agenda for work. However, this year, Montblanc seem to be struggling to get their calendar for 2017 out (should have received in August) and as such, I am now considering running down my trusty (but stiff and characterless) MB Agenda for this year, before switching to a black standard Midori for work.

In truth, after some 30+ years of using the classic electronic and hardcopy business-focused systems for organising my life (mostly work), I did have to force myself to adopt and find use for the Midori system. However, once there, I quickly found myself enjoying its simplicity, informality, flexibility and it's rather cool status. Of course, reading of other people's use of the Midori system has kept my enthusiasm high.

I enjoy the way the Midori feels, smells, and looks, and it really does improve with age! I genuinely look forward to using it. I cannot say that about any other system I personally have used. And, now that MB have given me the excuse I was probably looking for, I look forward to purchasing the standard black Midori next month, and using that as my main support at work.

Oh, the blue really is fabulous, particularly when new. However, of the four colours, I personally don't think the blue ages as well as the other colours seem to do. I am glad I have it though. :)

Pavoni

Thanks Slippery, I am glad to be back, particularly upon finding so many familiar and friendly faces of old :thumbup:

Pavoni.

+1, particularly as it was Pavoni who got me going down the Midori path and I now have and use a brown one.

No, I don't swap my inserts. Instead, I purposefully bought sufficient Midori and inserts for a specific set of needs.

I enjoy setting up my various Midori as self-contained, independent systems. For example, I am interested in foreign languages (camel standard Midori); penmanship (brown standard Midori); and helping my daughter with arithmetic (4x brown passport Midori); and then I have a general/travel Midori (blue) which has plastic pockets, zipper pocket, kraft folder etc. I simply take the relevant self-contained Midori to the task at hand. And they look fabulous and somewhat extravagant, stacked up on my writing desk at home.

For years I have relied on my A5 Montblanc Agenda for work. However, this year, Montblanc seem to be struggling to get their calendar for 2017 out (should have received in August) and as such, I am now considering running down my trusty (but stiff and characterless) MB Agenda for this year, before switching to a black standard Midori for work.

In truth, after some 30+ years of using the classic electronic and hardcopy business-focused systems for organising my life (mostly work), I did have to force myself to adopt and find use for the Midori system. However, once there, I quickly found myself enjoying its simplicity, informality, flexibility and it's rather cool status. Of course, reading of other people's use of the Midori system has kept my enthusiasm high.

I enjoy the way the Midori feels, smells, and looks, and it really does improve with age! I genuinely look forward to using it. I cannot say that about any other system I personally have used. And, now that MB have given me the excuse I was probably looking for, I look forward to purchasing the standard black Midori next month, and using that as my main support at work.

Oh, the blue really is fabulous, particularly when new. However, of the four colours, I personally don't think the blue ages as well as the other colours seem to do. I am glad I have it though. :)

Pavoni

Thank you Pavoni for giving me the benefit of your experience with the Midoris. Mine arrived on Thursday, the black one, a day earlier than estimated and I'm really happy with it. No chemical smell, just the soft smell of new leather which is smooth and pliable and so tactile I don't want to put it down!

I went on holiday recently and knew I wasn't getting the Midori until after I came back but wanted to keep my travel journal in the same format so I made a temporary cover from an old manilla folder and a fancy gift bag. I actually enjoyed carrying it around! :) I plan on just having one to start with—if I get more than one they might not get that lovely, well-used look, but if I find I want to keep using that format and I have too many inserts I'll probably cave! Not yet though.

post-90539-0-57962800-1474989431_thumb.jpg

Congratulations Ish.P and welcome to the club :thumbup:

Love the picture of your black version. I have seen black Midori with a red elastic! Did yours come with a red as well?

Seeing your post has definitely reinforced my decision to replace my old MB Agenda with a black Midori next month. Please let us know what inserts you end up using and whether you end up accessorising it.

For me, the hardest part of getting a new Midori is that honeymoon period - where I spend a daft amount of time just admiring its newness, and feeling smug! Then I curse the time I get my very first mark on it! Really stupid really given that I know (full well) that the Midori actually looks and feels better the more evidence there is of it having been used! Have fun. :)

Pavoni.

+1, particularly as it was Pavoni who got me going down the Midori path and I now have and use a brown one.

Really (and typically) kind of you Diderot. Sorry that you won't be attending the London Pen Show this year. I'm going to pop down for a couple of hours but also try to pop into JP Books whilst I have the chance.

Pavoni.

Congratulations Ish.P and welcome to the club :thumbup:

Love the picture of your black version. I have seen black Midori with a red elastic! Did yours come with a red as well?

Seeing your post has definitely reinforced my decision to replace my old MB Agenda with a black Midori next month. Please let us know what inserts you end up using and whether you end up accessorising it.

For me, the hardest part of getting a new Midori is that honeymoon period - where I spend a daft amount of time just admiring its newness, and feeling smug! Then I curse the time I get my very first mark on it! Really stupid really given that I know (full well) that the Midori actually looks and feels better the more evidence there is of it having been used! Have fun. :)

Pavoni.

Thank you! I started out ordering a fauxdori but when it came, although well-made, the colour wasn’t what I was expecting and the leather didn’t have that feel good factor. After a day or two I decided to splurge and get the real thing and haven’t regretted it for a moment.

The fauxdori came with a kraft folder, so I have that, and I also bought the plastic folder with a zip on one side and two large pockets (one on each side) on the other. This was a Midori one and the one thing I haven’t heard anyone mention is the intense plastic smell when you first open it. I had to scrunch up some pieces of paper to keep the pockets open and hang it up outside for a few days. It’s ok now though. I bought a lined insert and the Tomoe River one. The lined one is good quality, though I prefer writing on paper that has a bit more ‘give’ in it and I prefer 6mm lne spacing to the 6.5mm in the insert as my writing is quite small. The TR paper, on the other hand, is a dream, so soft and smooth! I love the texture of it too when it’s been written on both sides and even the sound of the pages turning :) It’s very easy to use with a line guide behind the paper if you’re like me and can’t write without lines! I shall get a couple more when I go to London next month.

I’m used to good leather that gets better with age as I have a dark brown leather Ona Bowery camera bag. I was a bit disappointed when I first got it as it looked quite dull, but now it has a lovely sheen. It also marks quite easily but it all adds to the character.

Yes, the TR came with black elastic fitted and a red spare. Of course, the card covering also has an elastic so that makes two spares. When it came, the elastic was quite tight so I loosened it and retied it with a weavers knot, as suggested by ThreadorYarn

What inserts do you like to use? No I haven’t hung any doodah’s off it yet, have you?

Ish

Edited by Ish.P

Really (and typically) kind of you Diderot. Sorry that you won't be attending the London Pen Show this year. I'm going to pop down for a couple of hours but also try to pop into JP Books whilst I have the chance.

Pavoni.

Rather busy for the next few weeks, but we'll try and meet for coffee soon.

Have fun in London.

I bought the Midori starter kit. The paper notebook that came with it is thin to me with significant shadow on the back side with a little strike through with a Sarasa gel pen. Looks like experimenting with different pens for better results is next. I thought this paper was better than that. How is it with the Camel cover? .....OK I tried my thinner paper failsafe Waterman Fine FP with Serenity Blue. That works quite well on this paper. My challenge now is that I always use one journal at a time and presently using ARC and i have a box full along with a box of a hundred plus new notebooks. I'm already getting hooked on the Midori. Maybe I can deal with a two journal system.

Edited by Studio97

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the club! I use my passport on a daily basis with different inserts based on whether I'm traveling or for office use.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently received the passport camel Traveler's from Goulet. I cannot help but feel these products are overpriced. Yet I bought two.

The passport is much smaller than I expected and I had even made a model and placed it beside my regular Traveler's.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I recently received the passport camel Traveler's from Goulet. I cannot help but feel these products are overpriced. Yet I bought two.

The passport is much smaller than I expected and I had even made a model and placed it beside my regular Traveler's.

My wife got a passport a couple months back after which I decided travelers wasn't for me. The pages are too narrow for my taste, I like A5 size for my notebooks.