Texasshipagent

I purchased a FPR Jaipur sometime ago from India and around labor day got notice of FPR's new US site, so decided to purchase their new Himalaya. FPR is a great business, but like any order from India, slow to ship, so it's fantastic they now offer some US based Inventory. The new web site is great, it shipped immediately and arrived within 3 days at the lower cost first class mail and the site have email tracking updates with a map showing where the pen was at each juncture.

I really like FPR pens, to me, they are quite comparable to Noodler's, but without that funky nib and I feel that they are better made. FPR is not as buzzworthy in respect to branding, no trendy names, packaging, and less variety in colors, but a solid product. My Jaipur for $18 is a pretty solid performing piston filling pen.

The Himalaya is $29 and comes in acrylic or ebonite, with a 5.5 FPR nib and 5.1 ebonite feed. Unlike Noodler's pens, where this one directly reminds me of the Konrad, FPR offers a variety of nib sizes and types.It has a threaded converter like the Ahab, or can be used as an eyedropper.

The nib and feed and can be adjusted to taste like the Noodlers pens, but a significantly tighter and more consistent nib seating, where my Noodlers pens are all over the board. But for people who like the ability to tinker with the ebonite friction fit feeds, can achieve the same, but a better experience.

Although I know most lower cost Indian pens typically need a good flushing, nib seating and tinkering to get them working well, I did try it out of the box out of curiosity, but had some flow issues. However once flushed the pen and seated the nib, it writes fantastic just like my Jaipur did. The cartridge had a bit of seepage into the barrel on my first out of the box inking, but after flushing a little silicon in the converter and lower section threads solved that easy enough with the next inking. Not sure on ink capacity, it's certainly more than a typical international cartridge, but possible slightly less than a Ahab.

My Jaipur occasionally creeps some ink in the cap, which gets on the threads, hence, on your fingers when writing, believe other reviewers experienced this, so I don't use it as a shirt pocket pen for work, but the Himalaya so far seems to avoid this problem and looks sharp for use in meetings.

It's an ebonite pen, but at the $29 price point, not quite a nice in quality and finish as more expensive hand turned ebonite pens, but found it to be a well made pen. The clip is strudy and the cap is banded with the FPR logo on it.

Excellent writing pen, ink flow is good and the line is consistent. I like the Duofold look of the Jaipur, but this pen in ebonite has more of Sailor pro style and is a little dressier of a pen.

Great pen and really happy with the purchase. I recommend this pen over the Noodler's Konrad, the acrylic and ebonite are the same price and lower than comparative models of the Noodlers pens.

I have no connection or endorsement from FPR for this review, just a happy customer. Give one a try, you will be pleased.

post-126629-0-28698300-1474003577.jpg

post-126629-0-89150400-1474003583.jpg

post-126629-0-26398700-1474003594.jpg

post-126629-0-23251200-1474003601.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pepsiplease69

• Jamerelbe

• wjeverly

• Texasshipagent

Thanks for the review.

I just checked FPRs US site and it looks clean and efficient. Flat $3 shipping and free shipping for orders above $49 is a pretty good deal.

I'm considering picking up one of each, a Himalaya and a Jaipur.

How does the feed and nib on these compare to the konrads.

You mentioned they are firmly fitting compared to the konrads but can a standard #6 JoWo nib go into these pens or will it be too tight.

Thanks for the review.

I just checked FPRs US site and it looks clean and efficient. Flat $3 shipping and free shipping for orders above $49 is a pretty good deal.

You mentioned they are firmly fitting compared to the konrads but can a standard #6 JoWo nib go into these pens or will it be too tight.

The nib and feed in these pens is smaller than for the Konrads - a 5.1mm diameter feed, and a "#5.5" nib (which, in reality, is similar in size to a JoWo #5). You won't be able to fit a #6 nib into these pens, it'll be far too large - that's the downside, if you want to call it that! - the upside is that the FPR range of #5.5 nibs are inexpensive, freely interchangeable, and generally very good quality, and you can buy replacement feeds too.

EF, F and M nibs are all the same price - $3 as a stand-alone (or 3 for $7); flex, stub and B nibs cost $7 each (or 3 for $15).

Also worth pointing out, the Jaipur and the Himalaya are both designed to use an ebonite feed; the Indus and the Triveni use plastic feeds. You can swap and change the nibs between these 4 models (and the Dilli, and the Guru!), but the ebonite feeds only between the Jaipur and the Himalaya, so that's not a bad combo if you want to mix and match!

@Texasshipagent, thanks for the review: I was trying to think of a pen (or pens) to compare the Himalaya with, and hadn't considered the Duofold or the Sailor Pro. Have to say, I went for the most colourful option (orange), but like the understated look of your green ebonite!

I bought a few Noodler's pens before I discovered FPR, and was quite happy with them on the whole - but I agree with you, these have some definite advantages in terms of looks, reliability, and general fit and finish.

Thanks for the review.

Well, I am left handed in the first instance, but in every way I tinkered with noodlers nibs and I just don't get it, for me, they are terrible, on the creeper I switched to Kaweco nibs and on the others various no 6

Fpr pens are 5.5 so can't fit a 6, but as other post, have good variety and decently quality every day writing nibs, I think I have read could be some other options

Well, I am left handed in the first instance, but in every way I tinkered with noodlers nibs and I just don't get it, for me, they are terrible, on the creeper I switched to Kaweco nibs and on the others various no 6

Fpr pens are 5.5 so can't fit a 6, but as other post, have good variety and decently quality every day writing nibs, I think I have read could be some other options

Thanks for the info.

Yes I did the kaweco nib swap into the creeper and really liked how those turned out.

Then I tried to put a standard #5 bock nib into the creeper and it was a hit or miss. On a few the nib fit okay and on most of the others the cap was too narrow and the shoulders of the nib started scraping the inside walls of the cap. The nib itself seated just fine with the feed and section.

Maybe those #5 bock nibs of mine will find a better home in these.

I also wonder if the noodlers cartridges would work in the himalaya.

• 2 months later...

I received my Himalaya with an EF nib a couple weeks ago, and I am very, very impressed. It's quite clearly not a $200 (or greater) pen, but for $29 this is an astonishingly nice writer! It's roughly the same size as my Pelikan M200/M400 pens, which is my point of reference and the size that seems to fit my hand best.

As a freebie thank-you, they also sent me a no-name (that I can find), transparent, eye-dropper fill pen with a nib that is almost an EF, but maybe slightly more F. It looks like it cost all of $0.15 to make, but it also writes amazingly well. Smooth and consistent, not too wet, not too dry.

I also have two FPR Indus pens I bought last year, also with EF nibs, and they are wonderful writers as well. I am very, very impressed with these pens.

Thanks for the review. I recently got a Jaipur with a Fine nib and it's pretty good. I tried it out for a final exam and the ergonomics fit well with my hand. For sure, FPR will get more business from me in the future and I'm already deciding which pen to get next. I do hope the Himalaya comes out soon on the international FPR site, and maybe even in red ebonite, for my first ebonite bodied pen.

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

• 1 year later...

HI guys..

Are the FPR pens manufactured in US or are they manufactured and imported from India?

In case they are from India, can anyone point me to the local dealer/manufacturer?

BR,

HI guys..

Are the FPR pens manufactured in US or are they manufactured and imported from India?

In case they are from India, can anyone point me to the local dealer/manufacturer?

BR,

They are made in India, and distributed in the US by: https://fprevolutionusa.com/