Pilot Ch91 Sf Vs Pt 3776 Sf Plz Help In Deciding......

nikhil seenivas

Alrighty so i`ve been eyeing on the Pt 3776 century SF in chartes blue and the pilot CH91 SF too...now im in a dilemma since I equally love the pilot for its nib and 3776 for its writing and look......i like softness line variation and an "aurora-ish" feel which the pilot lacks and since cost is a real consideration here and moreover since im in India the conversion rates do go up a bit, i prefer the pilot since its like $10 cheaper than the 3776 but AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH I CANT JUST DECIDE SOMEONE PLZ HELP MEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nikhil seenivas

• Algester

• Mech-for-i

• maverink

Neither pen will give you an Aurora experience.

I've had both SF nibs from Pilot & Platinum, plus an Aurora Optima plain old F. I think I know what you mean by "aurora-is." The Pilot SF is not like a normal F nib. Not sure if you've tried the Pilot SF but it's a different tactical experience from a normal Pilot F. In my small experience. I preferred the Pilot SF before it offered more variation over my Platinum SF. (Don't have them anymore because I've moved on to broader nibs.)

Platinum may give you more of the feedback it sounds like you're looking for.

Good luck! The pain of deciding, yes. It's exquisitely awful. :)

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

depending on how and what you want from your SF nib; do not think any of them are Aurora-ish but then neither will Aurora give the Pilot or Platinum feel. Both Pilot and Platinum Soft nibs are more about controlled variation in laying down strokes ( typically meaning when used to write oriental language, Kenji , aka Chinese characters ) They are not flex and are not catered to give wide line variation either. If you can live with that, both of them will be great, just down to personal preference. for utmost in line variation with a SF, go for the Pilot Falcon nib which is essentially a specialized SF / F

The one thing you should consider is if you are most likely using the pen for what kind of language, Indian, Hindu, English, Arabic or ... ?? Obviously different language place different need on the pens and that might be the deciding factor. In general, Platinum nibs tend to be giving more feedback and harder than Pilot but difference is subtle and likely minimal in SF / F / EF nibs

While both pens are in the same price range (10k yen)

Heres what I can take it from platinum has a more pencil like feel (5h or 6h), pilot lays more of a true to the western size line and is easier to produce line variations with, for this I would let you also check the solid colored custom 74 if your going to think about a 3776 since in terms of form factor both pens are similar and same price to boot

And all te pens I have recommended offer soft nib options as well

Edited by Algester

While both pens are in the same price range (10k yen)

Heres what I can take it from platinum has a more pencil like feel (5h or 6h), pilot lays more of a true to the western size line and is easier to produce line variations with, for this I would let you also check the solid colored custom 74 if your going to think about a 3776 since in terms of form factor both pens are similar and same price to boot

And all te pens I have recommended offer soft nib options as well

So when you say that i could possibly emulate the feel of the pt using a pencil, do you imply that the pencil is sharpened or blunt?

BTW, still not taken a decision yet so feel free to suggest some pens within my price range with those qualities.....

depending on how and what you want from your SF nib; do not think any of them are Aurora-ish but then neither will Aurora give the Pilot or Platinum feel. Both Pilot and Platinum Soft nibs are more about controlled variation in laying down strokes ( typically meaning when used to write oriental language, Kenji , aka Chinese characters ) They are not flex and are not catered to give wide line variation either. If you can live with that, both of them will be great, just down to personal preference. for utmost in line variation with a SF, go for the Pilot Falcon nib which is essentially a specialized SF / F

The one thing you should consider is if you are most likely using the pen for what kind of language, Indian, Hindu, English, Arabic or ... ?? Obviously different language place different need on the pens and that might be the deciding factor. In general, Platinum nibs tend to be giving more feedback and harder than Pilot but difference is subtle and likely minimal in SF / F / EF nibs

Im predominatly gonna be writing english.......had also considered the pilot falcon sef but thats waaaay above my price range...

So when you say that i could possibly emulate the feel of the pt using a pencil, do you imply that the pencil is sharpened or blunt?

BTW, still not taken a decision yet so feel free to suggest some pens within my price range with those qualities.....

I did say 5H and 6H and from that no matter how sharp or blunt these leads will not feel any different unless you personally not own pencils with these lead grades then I suggest you try them out as these leads are very hardy implying that a 10H pencil isnt hard enough... Edited by Algester

Im predominatly gonna be writing english.......had also considered the pilot falcon sef but thats waaaay above my price range...

Unless you absolutely need that F in the SF, I would recommend looking into the Pilot SFM , my expeirence with both of them is that the SFM write smoother and somehow, might be because of its slightly wider nib base, its easier to get more line variation out of it than the SF. But then if you are so into needing the F part of the SF, might be then you should look at the normal EF instead.

I did say 5H and 6H and from that no matter how sharp or blunt these leads will not feel any different unless you personally not own pencils with these lead grades then I suggest you try them out as these leads are very hardy implying that a 10H pencil isnt hard enough...

Ok so i bought a 6h pencil and tried it.....just the feel i wanted and GOD that lead is sure hard...i thought it might tear the paper or something.....has anyone ever in the history of the world ever finished a full length 6h pencil?.....

I also took a look at the sizes of the pens on the penplaza by gouletpens.com and the first that hit me about the 3776 was it is small.....im not a huge fan of posting so might wanna take this into account too....

• 3 weeks later...

which pens do u currently use?

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

I have four Custom 91s and three 3776 Century pens... but none of them are SF so I can't comment to that. However, I can comment on some other factors:

The 3776 Century nibs are large and attractive! In fact, they are just a half-millimeter shorter than the large nib on my Pilot Custom 823! (for a fraction of the price.)

Do you like a modern look or a classic look? Pilot looks more "modern" with the blunt ends versus the classic cigar shape of the 3776 Century. Also, PCH91 is Rhodium and you're probably looking at the 3776 Century in Gold. (Rhodium is available but more $.)

The Platinum converter holds about 0.6ml of ink versus 1.0ml in Pilot's CON-70. That's a big difference. (Also, if you get a Platinum converter and it feels hard to twist - please open it and lubricate it with silicone grease. It makes a world of difference. I didn't do that with mine and one of them failed within a year of use.)

Another interesting note... Pilot converters (Con-50/Con-40/Con-70) have agitators. The Platinum converter does not. However, the Platinum ink cartridge has an agitator but the Pilot cartridge does not! Strange, eh? With that in mind - if you're on a budget it makes the Platinum cartridge attractive for syringe refills.

I don't feel that either pen is "small." I find them to both work well unposted (or posted.)

Both pens are friction fit for easy cleaning if necessary. I love the size of the 3776 nib... however the 3776 has a seam on each side of the grip section. That's unfortunate.

Pilot's engraving on the cap band looks nicer than Platinum's... but the Chartres or Bourgogne finish looks nicer than any of the four Custom 91's colors. In fact - since you're getting an SF or SFM you only have a choice of Black for Pilot.

I have all 4 colors of the PCH91 and Chartres/Bourgogne/Black in the 3776. The Chartres looks best out of all of them, but the Bourgogne comes in a close second. They are sort of demonstrators but they're dark enough you can't see that much of the inside... but the plastic is beautiful.

Part of me wants to say Pilot is the winner, but it's so close it's hard to call. Each pen is better in some ways than the other. Lately I find myself using the 3776 UEF a lot!

Good luck with your decision. Honestly -- either is a winner. If you're looking for line variation I wouldn't expect a "lot" from either, but I'd bet Pilot's SF is a little softer than Platinum's. (Pilot's F nib is much softer than Platinum's F nib.)