Sailor Rikyu-Cha (2016 Japanese Version)

white_lotus

Did you use PayPal or Credit Card?

If you use PayPal you can always not accept the bill and ask the seller to provide better shipping rates, I did that the last time I bought ink from Komamono Honpo and they got back with three different options for the shipping. I chose the cheapest option without tracking, it took 4 week before the ink arrived... Think I will go with a tracked shipping service next time.

Thanks for the advice Andy. I just ordered a bottle of Rikyu Cha today using PayPal. The invoice showed 2200 Yen for EMS shipping for my confirmation. I emailed back and asked them for other shipping options. The cheapest was Small Parcel (no insurance and no tracking) for 800 Yen. I went with this option as I didn't feel the risk reduction was warranted for a single bottle of ink at 972 Yen. I'll probably forget that I ordered it within a few weeks so it will be a nice surprise when the parcel turns up!

I am in Eastern Australia and it sure helps that we are in the same time zone as Japan. I would normally use EMS as it is very fast and reliable to Australia - often only two or three days to my doorstep but in this case the expense didn't warrant it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rickygene

• migo984

• Tas

• AndyYNWA

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the advice Andy. I just ordered a bottle of Rikyu Cha today using PayPal. The invoice showed 2200 Yen for EMS shipping for my confirmation. I emailed back and asked them for other shipping options. The cheapest was Small Parcel (no insurance and no tracking) for 800 Yen. I went with this option as I didn't feel the risk reduction was warranted for a single bottle of ink at 972 Yen. I'll probably forget that I ordered it within a few weeks so it will be a nice surprise when the parcel turns up!

I am in Eastern Australia and it sure helps that we are in the same time zone as Japan. I would normally use EMS as it is very fast and reliable to Australia - often only two or three days to my doorstep but in this case the expense didn't warrant it.

I've used Small Parcel from Japan to Australia (VIC) when buying ink. It's delivered surprisingly quickly. I usually opt for this shipping method now, although I use EMS for when I require full insurance cover.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I've used Small Parcel from Japan to Australia (VIC) when buying ink. It's delivered surprisingly quickly. I usually opt for this shipping method now, although I use EMS for when I require full insurance cover.

That's good to know. Thanks.

No worries!

Seems like a fair deal.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

Just to follow up on this. I paid for Small Parcel delivery with no insurance and tracking two days ago. Yesterday, the vendor just sent me an EMS tracking number - go figure. I'll just have to wait and see what I get and when I get it!

Just to follow up on this. I paid for Small Parcel delivery with no insurance and tracking two days ago. Yesterday, the vendor just sent me an EMS tracking number - go figure. I'll just have to wait and see what I get and when I get it!

:mellow:

If you only pay for Small Parcel and get it delivered by EMS, that's great! :)

However, it could be that they couldn't send it as a Small Parcel without tracking and had to send it as Small Parcel with tracking, but the tracking number looks like EMS.

Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

If you only pay for Small Parcel and get it delivered by EMS, that's great! :)

However, it could be that they couldn't send it as a Small Parcel without tracking and had to send it as Small Parcel with tracking, but the tracking number looks like EMS.

Yes. It looks like your supposition is probably true. Either way it's a lot cheaper than full EMS.

Yes. It looks like your supposition is probably true. Either way it's a lot cheaper than full EMS.

Yes - I think this is likely 'economy' EMS or e-packet. It's like full EMS, but the item goes via surface mail in the originating and destination countries, with full airmail between the two. Same as the SAL service. The problem with this, when it comes to Australia, is the appallingly slow service, within Australia, provided by AusPost.

SAL is not on priority. Neither in the sender country nor in the destination country. So suppose whenever is mail sent from the office of exchange to the recipient city, EMS is placed first, and if any space is left, then SAL parcels are sent. So it may not be the Australian post, but the actual method used which is slow.

If someone can share first few digits of the tracking number, I would be able to tell which service is being used.

Edited by Mew

SAL is not on priority. Neither in the sender country nor in the destination country. So suppose whenever is mail sent from the office of exchange to the recipient city, EMS is placed first, and if any space is left, then SAL parcels are sent. So it may not be the Australian post, but the actual method used which is slow.

If someone can share first few digits of the tracking number, I would be able to tell which service is being used.

The delay is definitely with AusPost. The delivery services I opt for Is EMS Economy or e-packet, and sometimes small packet, rather than SAL, so not affected by prioritisation.

white_lotus: Yes, be like watchful samurai when it comes to ink and pens. I'm looking forward to getting a sample of Rikyu-Cha once it becomes available in the US. Thank you for posting about this ink!

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Yes - I think this is likely 'economy' EMS or e-packet. It's like full EMS, but the item goes via surface mail in the originating and destination countries, with full airmail between the two. Same as the SAL service. The problem with this, when it comes to Australia, is the appallingly slow service, within Australia, provided by AusPost.

Well, it just arrived. I have to say I'm very happy with the slow, cheap service! Seven days from ordering to my door with tracking for 700 Yen is a bargain. I'll be trying the ink out tonight.

Hi Mew. It's: EM114.........

It started with Japan Post and was delivered by Australia post. It arrived in Australia three days ago.

What an amazing ink. It is definitely dependent on the paper for some of its look. Goes on green and slowly dries to a green brown, or grey brown, or just brown. I like it best on Clairefontaine paper so far.

Papers in the photo are (clockwise from ink bottle): Clairefontaine, Amstel? Gold Fibre, Moleskine Cahier, Rhodia grid, Tomoe River cream. In the centre is a random piece of white notepaper from a company I used to work with. In sunlight they all look different, it may be a bit harder to see in the picture. The ink has a subtle warmth to it which I think I am really going to enjoy. I see a very faint reddish sheen on some of the samples.

Thanks to all of you whose reviews and enthusiasm put me onto this ink - most recently White Lotus.

Written with a Pilot Custom 823 medium nib which I've tuned to be quite wet.

. post-42373-0-31181000-1474269131_thumb.jpg

Close up of the Clairefontaine sample - apologies for the rotation, I can't seem to fix it.

post-42373-0-66139500-1474270432_thumb.jpg

Edited by rickygene

Hi Mew. It's: EM114.........

It started with Japan Post and was delivered by Australia post. It arrived in Australia three days ago.

It's EMS.

So I guess Australia post keeps the other things on low priority and EMS on high priority, because 3 days for custom clearance and delivery to the local post office is pretty decent.

Edited by Mew

It's EMS.

Thanks. That's what I thought but they only charged me 800 Yen instead of the 2000 they originally quoted. I'm not complaining and I'll certainly be using them again. I think I might be buying some more Rikyu Cha.😊

Edited by rickygene

It's EMS.

So I guess Australia post keeps the other things on low priority and EMS on high priority, because 3 days for custom clearance and delivery to the local post office is pretty decent.

Sorry Mew, I jumped in to reply so fast I missed your edit! I agree with you, the time from customs to delivery was very fast. It usually takes much longer than that to send a parcel from one city to another!

Well, it just arrived. I have to say I'm very happy with the slow, cheap service! Seven days from ordering to my door with tracking for 700 Yen is a bargain. I'll be trying the ink out tonight.

Yes - I've found the economy EMS service from Japan to be pretty quick to Aus. It did take Aus post 8 days to deliver one time, after it had arrived in-country! Other times has been much quicker. I've never had problems with the economy Japanese postal service, either to Aus or UK, so I hardly ever pay for 'express' EMS these days.

And I agree, AusPost delivery from one city to another is often appallingly slow.

What an amazing ink. It is definitely dependent on the paper for some of its look. Goes on green and slowly dries to a green brown, or grey brown, or just brown. I like it best on Clairefontaine paper so far.

Papers in the photo are (clockwise from ink bottle): Clairefontaine, Amstel? Gold Fibre, Moleskine Cahier, Rhodia grid, Tomoe River cream. In the centre is a random piece of white notepaper from a company I used to work with. In sunlight they all look different, it may be a bit harder to see in the picture. The ink has a subtle warmth to it which I think I am really going to enjoy. I see a very faint reddish sheen on some of the samples.

Thanks to all of you whose reviews and enthusiasm put me onto this ink - most recently White Lotus.

Written with a Pilot Custom 823 medium nib which I've tuned to be quite wet.

. attachicon.gifIMG_5747.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_5753.JPG

Close up of the Clairefontaine sample - apologies for the rotation, I can't seem to fix it.

attachicon.gifIMG_5751.JPG

Lovely pics of a very good ink. I've used it a lot over the past 4 years or so and really enjoy it. I'll always keep a bottle or two on hand.

Enjoy & use your Rikyu-cha with abandon, knowing you can get a back-up bottle relatively easily :-)