Sailor Kobe #40 Sumiyoshi Brown

white_lotus

As well documented in Visvamitra's epic review of all the Sailor Kobe inks, there are many interesting inks in this line. Sumiyoshi brown is one. Many, if not most, browns on the market today have a strong red component, and there are very few cool browns available. This ink is one. I find it has a very vintage vibe to it. The origin of this ink could be in the Japanese brush painting tradition, but perhaps someone with better knowledge of this could confirm that.

This ink is not a match for the classic Parker Penman Mocha, but it leans much more in that direction than many other brown inks available today.

I like this ink quite a bit. The change from the usual fare is welcome, and the handling is classic Sailor. The ink is also almost totally waterproof.

The usual papers were tested: Mohawk via Linen=MvL, Tomoe River=TR, Hij=Hammermill 28 lb inkjet.

The images were taken with an old Canon Powershot P50 indoors in natural light or in the shade.

fpn_1473540542__dscn1441.jpg

fpn_1473540588__dscn1444.jpg

fpn_1473540677__dscn1437.jpg

fpn_1473540713__dscn1449.jpg

While some ink is washed away, the vast majority stays behind. Quite impressive.

fpn_1473540735__img_4705.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pgcauk

• white_lotus

• Detman101

• gylyf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's really nice - thanks for the review!

Could anyone comment on how similar (or not) this one is to Joyful-2 Miyougi Umber?

Edited by gylyf

• 4 years later...

Oh, this looks lovely!
I have a designated Taupe pen and a half-dozen or so Taupe inks already (and really, you only need one?!), but first L'Artisan Pastellier Brun Urs  and now this have broken me down. I have included samples of Brun Urs, Kobe #3 and Kobe #40 with a this morning's VanNess top-up order, and look forward to comparing them to R&K Sepia, which is my current default.

I am slowly learning caution! It took 50ml of Yama Guri to teach me that the expensive Japanese import is not necessarily the preferable ink!

11 minutes ago, pgcauk said:

Oh, this looks lovely!
I have a designated Taupe pen and a half-dozen or so Taupe inks already (and really, you only need one?!), but first L'Artisan Pastellier Brun Urs  and now this have broken me down. I have included samples of Brun Urs, Kobe #3 and Kobe #40 with a this morning's VanNess top-up order, and look forward to comparing them to R&K Sepia, which is my current default.

I am slowly learning caution! It took 50ml of Yama Guri to teach me that the expensive Japanese import is not necessarily the preferable ink!

You might be interested in my ink quiz with Brun Ours, Cacao du Bresil, and R&K Sepia. I love them all - taupe ink really resonates with me. 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

Thank you White-Lotus!
I ordered samples (such restraint!) of Kobe #40, #3 along with the "often drooled at but I already have Cacao Du Bresil" Brun Ours (order went in prior to the news about PenBBS #390!), sampled them today and I think I have a new favorite brown ink!

My long-time companion R&K Sepia and (unused, 50ml!) Yama Guri are in the ball park, but some rudimentary chromatography reveals extraordinary differences in the underlying inks;

R&K Sepia = Orange (!) fanning out to blue (!!)

Kobe #40 = Purple fanning out to yellow (as above)

Yama Guri = Magenta with the brown in the halo? 

What a world we live in!!

Thanks for the kind words and I hope you enjoy the inks. I remember trying Cacao du Bresil some decent time before and not liking it, "ew taupe" I thought. But the #40 has enough brown color to ensure it's legibility. And #3 is quite a bit darker, always a favorite for me when I fill a pen with it.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Managed to upgrade from a sample to a full bottle and am very happy! Not sure that it's my ultimate taupe, but it's at least at the top of the tree (alongside R&K Sepia). I like how Grey it is and for me the saturation level is just right (#3 was way too rich). I thought this one had a greenish tinge, but alongside my greenish browns it's pleasingly violet!

• 1 year later...

I believe THIS ink is what I desired when I purchased a bottle of "Cacao du Bresil".
I will rectify that mistake this week.
:)

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

How did I miss this thread before now?  This looks to be a lovely color (I don't tend to like red-leaning browns, but the ones that lean more sepia or yellow are right up my alley...).  

A VERY belated thanks to white_lotus (although my wallet says otherwise...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...