• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• queerspaceman

• estie1948

• ISW_Kaputnik

hey y'all, this is probably quite a dumb question, but what does EDC stand for? Thanks!

Every Day Carry

not a stupid question, just one you didn't know the answer to!

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

LIke TLA

Three Letter Acronym

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Also like TOD: Topic of the Day. At least that is what I think it means . . .

Never hesitate to ask your "stupid" question. The "stupid" questions are the only ones to which I know the answers or think I do.

not a stupid question, just one you didn't know the answer to!

Runnin_Ute is right. There are really no stupid questions. There is stuff you know and there is stuff you don't know yet. That applies to all of us, even those who won't admit it.

Now "Snafu" is a good one. It appeared out of the military (all branches) during World War II if I've got it correctly. Snafu: Situation Normal - All Fouled Up (okay, it didn't really have fouled in it. It was another, less acceptable "f" word.). :rolleyes:

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Snafu is a WW2 saying....my mother learned then....she got Blitzed in England and invaded Europe D-day +11...so had the 'right' to say that....being a lady used the shorter version rather than the more explicit longer version.

Like WAC's sleeping on top of a bed of laid down duffle bags on the floor in some Chateau; in no one knew the female part of the War Room were invited to the invasion. The men of course had cots.

At the start of the Battle of the Bulge, after a German 88 blew up the kitchen when she was eating in Luxembourg as part of the Advanced War Room, sitting on the curb outside a passing tanker that knew her, stopped, asked what was wrong...she answered, she should have stayed home and built tanks.

She and the other WAC's were evacuated back to Paris.

There the Sergeant put a Thompson sub-machine gun down with orders, "Anybody but me comes in the door. Shoot him." That was big time SNAFU.

The Germans had American grown Germans disguised as American Soldiers running around behind American lines.

All were executed, as called for by the Laws of War, for wearing the wrong uniform.

EDC...ok one lives and learns....in I have none. With many pens, I'd have to think...which pen can I best afford to lose, and would still have nib choice. No don't have an EDC.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Snafu is a WW2 saying....my mother learned then....she got Blitzed in England and invaded Europe D-day +11...so had the 'right' to say that....being a lady used the shorter version rather than the more explicit longer version.

Like WAC's sleeping on top of a bed of laid down duffle bags on the floor in some Chateau; in no one knew the female part of the War Room were invited to the invasion. The men of course had cots.

At the start of the Battle of the Bulge, after a German 88 blew up the kitchen when she was eating in Luxembourg as part of the Advanced War Room, sitting on the curb outside a passing tanker that knew her, stopped, asked what was wrong...she answered, she should have stayed home and built tanks.

She and the other WAC's were evacuated back to Paris.

There the Sergeant put a Thompson sub-machine gun down with orders, "Anybody but me comes in the door. Shoot him." That was big time SNAFU.

The Germans had American grown Germans disguised as American Soldiers running around behind American lines.

All were executed, as called for by the Laws of War, for wearing the wrong uniform.

EDC...ok one lives and learns....in I have none. With many pens, I'd have to think...which pen can I best afford to lose, and would still have nib choice. No don't have an EDC.

Great story, Bo-bo! I love reading (learning) stuff like that!

And to the OP, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Great story, Bo Bo!

I'll admit that I'm rather fond of SNAFU's corollary -- FUBAR.... :lol:

As for the original poster's question, if anyone had told me 3 or 4 years ago that a Parker Vacumatic would be an EDC pen for me, I would have laughed in their face. Turns out the joke was on me :blush: (as I refilled my 1st Generation Red Shadow Wave Junior this morning for the umpteenth time in the past 13 months without flushing it... :thumbup:; not even my 51s fit that category, because I keep swapping out inks in them).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

About 15 years ago, a friend showed me a book of acronyms. It was at least 2 inches thick . . . and that was only A-M.

I have learned, even when you THINK you know what an acronym means, ASK.

Cuz it may not mean what you think it means.

- I was doing a systems implementation in an insurance company and we talked about GL, which 99.999% of the systems people know as General Ledger. Well in this company, for the person involved, it meant GENERAL LIABILITIES, a completely different meaning than General Ledger.

- Even in the same company an acronym may have different definitions as used by different departments, and sometimes even within the same department.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

My favorite acronym: PICNIC, which means 'problem in chair not in computer'. As in, "After I called the computer help desk I realized I was having a PICNIC."

I dropped out of the online pen world for a while, then came back in and everybody was talking about EDC, and, for some reason, EdC. People would post the same question-- "What's a good pen for EDC?" vs "What's a good pen for EdC?" -- but the answers would often be very different.

Turns out one was Every Day Carry and one was Emeraude de Chivor!

My favorite acronym: PICNIC, which means 'problem in chair not in computer'. As in, "After I called the computer help desk I realized I was having a PICNIC."

I like that. I have had quite a few PICNICs, myself over the years. I just didn't know what to call them.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Even if you know an acronym's meaning, be careful as the same acronym may have several usages. At work, I often ask what the context is as the military services, DoD, interagency, and slang like to use the same three or four letter acronyms with different meanings.

My favorite is coming up with the acronym and then creating the words.

Buzz

hey y'all, this is probably quite a dumb question, but what does EDC stand for? Thanks!

A more intelligent question than the many flytraps asked. We probably need a dictionary of terms. If you hadn't asked it would have taken you a while to figure it out from the contexts in threads.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.