Festive Micarta Giant

Joseph B

I decided to use multilayered color cloth/resin to try to get a striated celluloid effect. The cloth is cotton canvas of six colors. The effect is most prominent when there is a lot of curvature in the elements. The nib set is Jowo #8 18K cartridge/converter filled. I have not decided on a clip or roll stop but whichever, I will try not to interrupt the patterns. Now that I know more about how it works, I intend to try some more subtle classic colors.

Thanks,

Joe B.

fpn_1473338753__020_-_copy.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joseph B

• APPLEMAN

• Nanor

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you make the micarta yourself?

Yes, I did. There're are 60 layers of fabric in 7/8" thickness. Originally I had trouble getting enough thickness within the working time of the resin. Then I learned that by halving the hardener and starting with refrigerator cold resin, I had time enough. I plan to reduce the fabric thickness (and further increase the number of sheets) to get a smoother looking surface. It is quite smooth now, much smoother than the photos appear, but lighter fabric does smooth the texture. I will double or triple the sheets in each color layer to still attain the striated effect.

Here's another micarta pen that I also did recently.

fpn_1473429527__r1001715_-_copy.jpg

Thanks for your interest,

Joe

Thanks, Joe

Very impressive work. I imagine there was some soul destroying trial and error involved before you mastered the process. The results look worth it.

Very impressive work. I imagine there was some soul destroying trial and error involved before you mastered the process. The results look worth it.

Nanor,

Thanks! Yes, it was and continues to be a learning experience. Once, I tried high quality cotton paper to try to get an ivory look. It worked very nicely for a flat product but wouldn't stand up to the radial stresses of turning. And, before I learned ways to extend the working time, it was like a three ring circus trying to get a thick blanks within the ten minutes working time.

Joe B.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files