Filofax 2017 Refills

msolok

Hi All,

Like many people, I use yearly planners for my organisation and work appointments through the year. I have tried to use digital calendars (as one would expect from an IT Professional such as myself) but find that I will often just dismiss notifications without looking and not action reminders or appointments that come up. Once I put it on paper though, I stick to it. Through 2016 I have been using a couple of Moleskines (which surprisingly haven't been too bad quality wise. A little bleed through, but not much, and just about no feathering. Same with the Moleskine Notebook I've just started using) as my planners; A week to an opening with notes for home stuff, and a day to a page vertical for my work stuff. While I found the planner I was using at home was perfect (allowed me to enter what was on on a day easily, with the details listed tot he right) I wasn't so happy with the one I was using for work (as I can only see 1-2 days at a time I don't can't get the level of planning I want out of it). So I started looking around for alternatives.

I kept coming across Filofax, but with the reports of poor quality paper I was a bit hesitant. But the more Filofax came up, the more I loved what I was seeing. Nice, full leather covers, removable and refillable pages, customisation, the ability for me to have my Diary and my Notes in the single place.... I was soon sold on the idea. I accepted the fact that the paper was probably going to be rubbish and I would have to print my own inserts on decent paper, but it really wasn't a huge deal. So I ordered myself an A5 Nappa in black for work, and a A5 Original in Dark Aqua for home, as well as a range of 2017 inserts and plastic pockets. I then started my patient waiting, and searching for inserts.

So my Filofax's finally turned up last week. I eagerly tore into them and started setting them up as I liked until I found some good insert designs I liked. I figured I might as well start entering stuff now and transfer it once I figured out what I wanted. So away I went, using the closest pen to hand, a Montblanc 146 with BB nib filled with Montblanc Blue Hour ink, as well as using Higlighters to outline dates. I was laying down the ink thick and heavy to really test how the paper was holding up. And to say I was surprised by the results would be an understatement. There is not a bit of feathering anywhere, not even where the ink was pooling. There was no bleedthrough either, except where the Highlighter ink really pooled up, but even there it is minor. Show through is there, but fairly minor over all. So I have decided I am going to be using the Filofax inserts and not creating my own. They are of excellent quality.

What's even more encouraging is the inserts are of different types. Some is the Cotton Cream inserts, others are just the plain white, but all perform excellently.

All up, I am extremely happy with the Filofax paper I have received. I'm not sure if Filofax has been working on really improving their paper quality or if it just happens to be a fluke, but the 2017 inserts seem to be of very good quality. I really do recommend it!

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• msolok

• Frank Savage

• jmccarty3

• gmax

That's encouraging news! I've been using Raymay's Tomoe River paper inserts from JetPens in my Filofax. They perform very well and are inexpensive.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Yes, I've also noticed that the paper quality in the 2016 refill is quite good, although after many years of using a G2 refill, I am happy to stick with that for diary entries.

However, the Filofax coloured paper is atrocious. It is white paper with an applied surface dye, and FP ink simply beads on top of the surface.

Philofaxy has a wide range of DIY printables for Filofax and compatible organisers. See www.philofaxy.com

✒️ :happyberet:

Yes, I've also noticed that the paper quality in the 2016 refill is quite good, although after many years of using a G2 refill, I am happy to stick with that for diary entries.

However, the Filofax coloured paper is atrocious. It is white paper with an applied surface dye, and FP ink simply beads on top of the surface.

Philofaxy has a wide range of DIY printables for Filofax and compatible organisers. See www.philofaxy.com

I have been using the Pilot Frixion pens recently and I am really happy with them. No only do they work really smoothly (I do prefer the .7mm ones) but they look good and being reasable in a planner is a mega bonus.

Without a doubt the coloured paper is poor. I couldn't get Fountain Pens, Rollerballs, or Fine liners to write consistently. Sometimes Fountain pens where fine, other times (sometimes on the same sheet) the ink would bead and dry funny. I don't know what Filofax are thinking with those refills.

Yeah, I have printing the remaining part of the year from Filofaxy as I only got the 2017 inserts with my planners.

That's encouraging news! I've been using Raymay's Tomoe River paper inserts from JetPens in my Filofax. They perform very well and are inexpensive.

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a good look at them.

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

• 1 month later...

Almost seems like there are different makes for different markets-mean might be made localy. Those 2014-2015 I´ve seen were terrible-about 70 g/m2, even finest and driest Pilot nibs feathered and using my granddads Hero 100 (one of first made) with pretty wet M nib, it was instant copy on the next page... For 2016 I didn´t even bother to look for a refil and what I´ve seen for 2017 around here in mid-europe, I´m probably not spending the money... But your report may give the Filofax the last chance...

There´s no great matter about things in your hands.

Important is, how can you use them.

A life-taught experience

Recently brought a Filofax A5 Boston Ultraviolet, and the 70gsm paper was also surprisingly ink friendly. Mostly using fine, and occasionally medium nibs, it was a pleasent surprise. Got free 2017 inserts as a gift too. But I noticed Filofax made some patterned inserts as well, quite like the floral one, probably will buy that.

That's really good news. I have a Malden that's been collecting dust. I'll have to look into the 2017 inserts - I thought about creating my own inserts but that would be a hassle.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)