Nakaya Mini Decapod Discontinued?!

Pelikan_FP

I must admit that I haven't been on for close to a year after I purchased my Nakaya Mini Decapod in Kuro-tamenuri since it's been in rotation ever since...yes, I'm that satisfied with it :)

So imagine my surprise as I was looking to see if I could purchase another one but in the Ao-tamenuri on nibs.com that Nakaya has discontinued both the mini decapod and the Ao-tamenuri finish :yikes: :crybaby: .

Does anybody know how long ago they stopped making the mini-decapod and the Ao-tamenuri finish? Does anybody know possibly the reason why?

I may just have to purchase a Dorsal Fin they have left at nibs...as a substitute :drool:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing"-Socrates

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pelikan_FP

• sarahfar

• jimhughes

• jar

I must admit that I haven't been on for close to a year after I purchased my Nakaya Mini Decapod in Kuro-tamenuri since it's been in rotation ever since...yes, I'm that satisfied with it :)

So imagine my surprise as I was looking to see if I could purchase another one but in the Ao-tamenuri on nibs.com that Nakaya has discontinued both the mini decapod and the Ao-tamenuri finish :yikes: :crybaby: .

Does anybody know how long ago they stopped making the mini-decapod and the Ao-tamenuri finish? Does anybody know possibly the reason why?

I may just have to purchase a Dorsal Fin they have left at nibs...as a substitute :drool:

You do know that the Dorsal Fin is not the same size as the Piccolo Decapod, don't you? :P

The Ao-tamenuri was discontinued about a year ago. I understand this was because the color could not be reproduced consistently. This is the first I have heard that the Piccolo Decapod is D/C'd. I tried one once at a pen show and found it too small, and I enjoy using my Piccolo.

I believe I have seen the mini-Decapod listed on some European dealers' web stores. I have found this doesn't necessarily mean they have them in stock, but it's worth checking.

Good luck! I hope you find what you want.

David

You do know that the Dorsal Fin is not the same size as the Piccolo Decapod, don't you? :P

The Ao-tamenuri was discontinued about a year ago. I understand this was because the color could not be reproduced consistently. This is the first I have heard that the Piccolo Decapod is D/C'd. I tried one once at a pen show and found it too small, and I enjoy using my Piccolo.

I believe I have seen the mini-Decapod listed on some European dealers' web stores. I have found this doesn't necessarily mean they have them in stock, but it's worth checking.

Good luck! I hope you find what you want.

David

David,

Thanks for providing some info. It's too bad that they couldn't reproduce the color consistently.

The sales people emailed me back to inform me that the only Dorsal Fin V2 they have left in stalk is the $5000 one...i think I'll pass on that one :o

As for the piccolo/mini decapod, it is my go to pen every day. I love the size and the feel of it in my hand. It always starts with out skipping and the medium nib is perfect for my daily use on all sorts of low grade paper that its exposed to. The ebonite is remarkably durable and scratch resistant...(I've had a couple close heart attacks when it's accidentally dropped onto the floor). The one I purchased was personalized with Kanji and I do not plan to ever sell.

I'll look on some other sites for the mini decapod in Ao-tamenuri...

Edited by Pelikan_FP

pensinasia is still getting the color, not necessarily the size

Thanks for the heads up. I see what you mean in terms of the color being available but not quite in the type of pen I am looking for. I'll continue my search.

Don't think I've ever seen one of these . A friend Doug c has a Decapod but it's a Danitrio, I think. Could you post a link or a photo so I can see what this exotic pen looks like. Have an awesome week, Jim

Don't think I've ever seen one of these . A friend Doug c has a Decapod but it's a Danitrio, I think. Could you post a link or a photo so I can see what this exotic pen looks like. Have an awesome week, Jim

I don't have a personal photo of the Ao tamenuri color but sarahfar has kindly put his one for you to look at. His is a "writers" version that comes with a clip and the one I'm looking for would be the "cigar" version that is clipless. I think sarahfar would confirm that pictures often doesn't do these pens justice to capture how they look like in reality not to mention how they feel in your hand.

Almost all of my 11 nakaya are incredible in how they feel in hand. The colors move and this one is no exception. It is the writer and have both the writers and pure form cigar on full size in Kuro, Aka and Shiro but the color in Ao when the light hits it is spectacular. The color actually is a very cool turquoise. The blue dragon is a little deeper, but intensely liquid and beyond explanation when he starts dancing in the light. These pens are really spectacular.

Sarahfar and Pelikan:

Thanks for the photos they are beautiful and quite enlightening. Doug C. The NMPCC Nakaya /DaniTrio Expert, corrected my error. Decapod is definitely a Nayaka pen , not the Danitrio I'd thought. I stand corrected. Beautiful coloring and workmanship on both pens. I'm jealous

Wait they have a Dorsal Fin in Ao-tamenuri in stock at nibs.com...?!! It's not on the availability chart...anyways its waaaaay out of my price range I'll stop looking now.

Wait they have a Dorsal Fin in Ao-tamenuri in stock at nibs.com...?!! It's not on the availability chart...anyways its waaaaay out of my price range I'll stop looking now.

If it helps you feel better (like it did me), I confirmed with the people at nibs and they do not have it in stock. They only have the Dorsal Fin V2 in special Hanuman which is even more $$$$...

Nakaya announce that the piccolo sized decapod would be discontinued in December 2015.

Aha! Thank you jar for finding that. I'm glad I put in my order for the pen in September 2015 and it arrived in December. I wonder if they discontinued making them because was there wasn't enough demand for them or they were just shifting their focus more to their other pens...