Dot Paper Generator

Sethest

II was thinking about making my own dot notebook, because I really like dotted paper, but I find the standard market notebooks and pads too dense (5mm isn't enough for me). I've looked around and I wasn't able to find any suitable free tool to generate dotted paper I could print myself (the tools were either not customizable enough, or it included nasty looking watermark). So I've decided to make my own and I would like to share it with you :) (I've posted this already on Reddit, but I figured I should post it here as well :))

Dot Paper Generator

How does it work?
First you set up how you would like your dotted paper to look, and click one of the generate buttons. The javascript will generate LaTeX source code for such sheet which you can compile to a PDF and print.
When you click Generate your browser should open a new tab or window with the LaTeX source code (if it doesn't, make sure you allow pop-ups for the page). If you don't know anything about LaTeX, don't worry, basically all you need to do is access some free on-line distribution, for example I use this one: ShareLaTeX. There create a new empty project, copy the whole source code there, hit recompile and download the resulting PDF which you can then print.
If you click Generate and open in Overleaf your browser should open the free on-line LaTeX distribution Overleaf and automatically load the source code there, so all you need to do is wait a little bit for the page and preview to load, then hit PDF button in the top menu to download the finished document.

Features

• No ugly watermarks
  • Highly customizable (page format, dots spacing, size, color, ...)
  • Multiple sheets per page (e.g. if you want to create small notepad, but you are printing on a standard size paper, you can fit multiple sheets on a page and cut it)
  • Easy double-sided printing

Samples sheet You can download the Dot Paper - Color And Size Samples Sheet (pdf) with various dots sizes and colors, so you can print it and choose the right combination for yourself. This sheet uses 5mm spacing.
The Dot Paper - Spacing Samples Sheet (pdf) might help you find the ideal spacing of the dots for your style of writing. The dots on this sheet are set to size 0.1mm and A0A0A0 color.
If you would like to try other dots sizes, colors, or spacings you can take the LaTeX source files Dot Paper - Color And Size Samples Sheet (tex) or Dot Paper - Spacing Samples Sheet (tex), alter the values to your liking (the places where to change values are marked) and recompile it.

I hope you will find the tool useful :) If you encounter any bugs or unexpected behavior, or if you would like to add some feature leave a comment (preferably, so everybody can see it) or PM me.

Edited by wimg
Moved the tool to a new hosting.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rafapa

• Sethest

• dcwaites

• Astronymus

Thank you, it is really useful.

One of the problems ready templates have (apart from watermarks) is that they come in standard spacing, which is not suitable for everyone.

Could you share an example with borders? I am getting the exact same TeX file irrespective of the border option selected. Thanks

Sure, the script is set not to output the border line if it is coinciding with the edge of the page. So it wouldn't output any if your sheet size is the same as the print paper for example. I should probably mention that in the help with the next update :)

Example 1: these are 2 A5 sheets on a A4 print paper, the border is printed only in the middle (actually 2 border lines, because in the specification the A4 is 1mm taller than 2 A5s combined), and not on the bottom or top of the sheet, since it coincides with the edge of the paper.

Example 2: these are 4 custom sheets (100 x 130mm) on a A4 paper. Two of their borders are printed and two coincide with the edge of the paper (the sheets are always positioned on the edge of the paper, so it will be easier to cut them)

Sure, the script is set not to output the border line if it is coinciding with the edge of the page. So it wouldn't output any if your sheet size is the same as the print paper for example. I should probably mention that in the help with the next update :)

Example 1: these are 2 A5 sheets on a A4 print paper, the border is printed only in the middle (actually 2 border lines, because in the specification the A4 is 1mm taller than 2 A5s combined), and not on the bottom or top of the sheet, since it coincides with the edge of the paper.

Example 2: these are 4 custom sheets (100 x 130mm) on a A4 paper. Two of their borders are printed and two coincide with the edge of the paper (the sheets are always positioned on the edge of the paper, so it will be easier to cut them)

I see. I missunderstood the use of the borders. I thought it was going to draw some lines coinciding with the outer lines of dots.

Something similar to:

\documentclass{article}

\title{Dot Paper}

\usepackage{geometry}
\geometry{a4paper, margin=0mm}

\usepackage{tikz}
\tikzset{x=1mm, y=1mm}

\definecolor{DotsColor}{HTML}{DE8CF5}

\begin{document}

\color{DotsColor}

\begin{tikzpicture}[remember picture, overlay]

\foreach \x in {0,...,38}
\foreach \y in {0,...,55}
\filldraw (current page.south west) ++ (10,286) ++ (5*\x,-5*\y) circle (0.1);

\draw [thick] (current page.south west) + (10,10) -- + (200,10);
\draw [thick] (current page.south west) + (10,286) -- + (200,286);

\draw [thick] (current page.south west) + (10,10) -- + (10,286);
\draw [thick] (current page.south west) + (200,286) -- + (200,10);

\end{tikzpicture}

\end{document}
~

Edited by rafapa

Actually I am interested in formats like

\documentclass{article}

\title{Dot Paper}

\usepackage{geometry}
\geometry{a4paper, margin=0mm}

\usepackage{tikz}
\tikzset{x=1mm, y=1mm}

\definecolor{DotsColor}{HTML}{DE8CF5}

\begin{document}

\color{DotsColor}

\begin{tikzpicture}[remember picture, overlay]

\foreach \x in {1,...,37}
\foreach \y in {4,...,54}
\filldraw (current page.south west) ++ (11,286) ++ (5*\x,-5*\y) circle (0.1);

\draw [thick] (current page.south west) + (11,286) -- + (200,286);
\draw [thick] (current page.south west) + (11,276) -- + (200,276);

\draw [thick] (current page.south west) + (11,276) -- + (11,286);
\draw [thick] (current page.south west) + (50,276) -- + (50,286);
\draw [thick] (current page.south west) + (200,276) -- + (200,286);

\draw [thick] (current page.south west) + (11,11) -- + (200,11);
\draw [thick] (current page.south west) + (11,271) -- + (200,271);

\draw [thick] (current page.south west) + (11,11) -- + (11,271);
\draw [thick] (current page.south west) + (200,271) -- + (200,11);

\end{tikzpicture}

\end{document}

Actually I am interested in formats like ...

I get what you mean. The borders around dots shouldn't be a problem. The "heading box", or how to call it, could be a bit more tricky... I'll think about a way how to put it in ;)

• 1 month later...

Just tried it, looks really good.

Now all I need is a TeX/LaTeX script that turns vin ordinaire copy paper into Rhodia...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Have you looked into incomptech's site? There's a ton of options for all types of markings.

Edited by Lloyd

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

For those strange people like me, who want to use B5 paper, the dimensions are 176(mm) x 250(mm)

Granny Aching

• 2 months later...

Would it be possible to add page numbering? I know that would add a complication factor (2 pages per A4 sheet per side) but would allow for printing of Leuchttrum-type journal pages.

Thanks!

Would it be possible to add page numbering? I know that would add a complication factor (2 pages per A4 sheet per side) but would allow for printing of Leuchttrum-type journal pages.

Thanks!

If you have access to Adobe Acrobat Professional, it can add page numbers, using Bates Numbering (001...999, 0001...9999, etc).

Alternatively, if you are familiar with TeX/LaTeX, you could take the generated script and modify that.

I use Acrobat to add pages till I have 32, 64, pages, etc. and then add the Bates numbering.

Granny Aching

You could also use Word for the numbering. Just print the grid first, then the numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have updated the generator today - the page numbering has been added.

Other major thing that changed from the previous version is that the sheets are now laid out in the way that their right edge is aligned with the print paper edge (it used to be the left edge), I thought this would be better when cutting the printed paper and binding the sheets to a notebook - the presumably nicer (original) edge of the paper will be the one outside, and the cut one in the binding.

Also thanks to everybody for the kind comments :blush:

Thanks!

The feature has been added - print page numbering should be working, but if you encounter any bugs / weird behavior let me know :)

Thanks for notifying people when I was a little preoccupied ;)

I'm still thinking about how to implement the custom bordering, finding the right balance of enough generality and ease of use is a bit tricky...

Edited by Sethest