Airmail Wality 70 Review

ajaynatu

Hello everyone,

We all remembers our first fountain pen we started writing with. We have always cherished that pen and the company.

For me, Airmail has been and will always be close to my heart.

From school days to 2012 have been loyal to Airmail. However, when I misplaced them in 2012 it broke my heart. Since then searched a lot for them. Always thought the company might have closed.

However , a month back noticed that Airmail has started selling the pens on Amazon.in :) :) :) :)

It was a surprise and ordered couple of 70 and & 71JT. Each costing about 350/- INR which seemed very resonable. :)

Will be reviewing Airmail Wality 70 with few pictures.

Online order experience:

1. Ordered four Airmail 70 pens of brown colour. The very next day received a call from the representative informing that brown colour is not available and if I may wait for a week or order mix colours. Could not wait and ordered the mix colours(brown, red, blue and green) . The person was courteous and simple to talk to. No typical business-wala talk but very humble gentleman. The package was shipped within 2 days, shipped by BlueDart and received in 9 days.

2. They were packed in a A4 size envelope, which could be better packed for added safety. I was expecting them to be packed loose bound together and scratched/ damaged. However to my surprise each pen is packed neatly in a box with foam cut for the pen, with an eyedropper and a spare two-tone medium nib. It was something unexpected and does get a smile on you. Compare it with the Parker packed in a cheap cardboard and plastic covers.

3. It would make a nice gift for someone who loves FPs.

Pictures of the Beauty

post-129496-0-11631900-1472822268_thumb.jpg

A Classic look

post-129496-0-72783700-1472822403_thumb.jpg

The box

post-129496-0-19792100-1472822494_thumb.jpg

Foam cut to safe the pen from any scratch with a eyedropper

post-129496-0-12087900-1472822563_thumb.jpg

Spare nib

post-129496-0-10299900-1472822626_thumb.jpg

Slim profile

post-129496-0-37897200-1472822751_thumb.jpg

Comfortable to hold. Light weight. Rests nicely. Well balanced when writing without the cap posted.

post-129496-0-91317900-1472822830_thumb.jpg

Even with the cap posted the pen is well balanced due to the light weight. Either way , with or without the cap it is comfortable to hold and write for long duration.

post-129496-0-60874400-1472822921_thumb.jpg

The nib with the pen is fine. It is equivalent to 0.5mm. A bit fine than Luxor 0.5. Depends on how much pressure one puts on. There is no flex to it at all. The nib has been smooth to write with. Had to tweek a bit for wet writing which I prefer.

post-129496-0-79581800-1472823118_thumb.jpg

The feeder is a flat feeder unlike few who have a thick feeder.

post-129496-0-00995400-1472823162_thumb.jpg

The feeder is of good quality and surely is not a cheap hand made one. The grooves to screw in are nicely made and it screws in smoothly.

post-129496-0-61369700-1472823236_thumb.jpg

The feeder has grooves for ink flow. They are not cut by hand. Precise neat and deep cuts which has ensured nice steady ink flow throughout.

post-129496-0-05684400-1472823345_thumb.jpg

The grooves are well cut ,both in and outside the barrel.

post-129496-0-40990400-1472823577_thumb.jpg

Translucent slots to see the ink level. To see the level one needs to hold it vertical for few seconds, let ink to flow and against a bright light.

post-129496-0-57265600-1472823918_thumb.jpg

Quality of pen:

1. Extremely well made. Impressive. Construction of the pen is top notch quality- comparable to any pen one can think of. Feel it to believe it.

2. Elegant looking. Does catches the eyes of people around, writing or be it in pocket.

3. Light weight. Does not mean its cheap material!!!

4. It is nealty made, well designed for long duration writing. Have not felt tired holding it.

Ink Flow:

1. Out of the box, filled and it started writing straight away. Used it for couple of days but seemed dry for my liking. A bit of adjusting the feeder for wet ink flow and working like magic since then.

2. Have not had any sudden ink blobs flowing out till now.

3. Kept it uncaped for 15mins, picked up and it wrote straight away. ( I dont think anyone would keep their FP uncaped for so long!)

4. Takes 3ml of ink. Thats more than enough one needs to fill in pages!

Conclusion:

1. It is an extremely serious contender to many FPs which cost more than twice! For VFM it beats Parker hands down!!!!

2. The colour, the design all along catches the eyes of beholders around. Rather than discussing the papers to sign- the topic always came to the FP.

3. With the pretty decent cardboard box, neat presentation can be a gift.

4. For daily use its a beautiful, quality FP and pleasure to write with.

5. Many would want to change the nib. I am satisfied with the nib it has, been smooth so far.

6. For extreme VFM for a student who would want a ED pen- Trinity is lot better as it costs 100/- as compared to 350/- for Airmail.

Anyone who has been using it, would like to hear your experience.

Thank you :)

Edited by ajaynatu

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ajaynatu

• lovemy51

• Mon34480

• eliweisz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice review, and great photos! Fountain Pen Revolution is the main purveyor of Indian pens here in the U.S. I've been thinking of placing an order with them, and an Airmail/Wality is high on the list. I already have a Guider Ebonite and an ASA Sniper; you might say that I have a growing "thing" for Indian eyedropper pens.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

Nice review, and great photos! Fountain Pen Revolution is the main purveyor of Indian pens here in the U.S. I've been thinking of placing an order with them, and an Airmail/Wality is high on the list. I already have a Guider Ebonite and an ASA Sniper; you might say that I have a growing "thing" for Indian eyedropper pens.

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your kind words.

Glad to hear about your inclination towards Indian EDs. I'm sure you would enjoy writing with them. They have a different touch to themself, something one cant express in words.

There has been a steady increase in the variety of FPs available in Indian market. Also the kind of penetration into the markets has increased. You can find them at shops in the remote places as well. So good to see this trend.

You would love to check Airmail on Amazon. With Airmail Co starting their sales online seems like their strategy to go global as most of the shopping being online these days has made Airmail FPs available pretty easily.

Edited by ajaynatu

thx for the review! i'm not a fan of EDs, tho' i own a handful, but yours looks soooooo well made, it makes me wanna get one B) .

thx for the review! i'm not a fan of EDs, tho' i own a handful, but yours looks soooooo well made, it makes me wanna get one B) .

It is indeed a well crafted piece.

Check it out on

http://www.amazon.in/WALITY-Demonstrator-Dropper-Fountain-70/dp/B01IHZ47IK/ref=sr_1_3?s=office&ie=UTF8&qid=1472871428&sr=1-3

There are others available as well

http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_2454172031?ie=UTF8&node=2454172031&field-brandtextbin=WALITY

I have one of the Wality 71 JT and experiences with it is pretty close to yours, only major gripe I have with Wality pens in general is that they seem to stamp their large logo everywhere and more often than not it ends up destroying the aesthetics of the pen. In my case you have a nice transparent barrel only to be sullied by a large Wality logo across it's barrel...

Edited by Alteyz

I have one of the Wality 71 JT and experiences with it is pretty close to yours, only major gripe I have with Wality pens in general is that they seem to stamp their large logo everywhere and more often than not it ends up destroying the aesthetics of the pen. In my case you have a nice transparent barrel only to be sullied by a large Wality logo across it's barrel...

Totally Agree. Also, if the stamp could be Fine and not Broad it would look better and classy. The big broad stamp of "Wality REGD 70" could be a finner.

The 71JT that I received does not have that large a logo. Size is just about as the one on the 70 , more so the logo is embossed and not finished with silver paint. Thus larger pen and same size emossed stamp only if holding the asthetics of having the pure transparet barrel. I hardly noticed that embossesd logo since past 3 weeks now.

post-129496-0-05520200-1472991050_thumb.jpg

Embossed and not stamped white

post-129496-0-54597100-1472991113_thumb.jpg

One can hardly notice it stampted

(apologies for the poor quality of pics, clicked with phone)

When did you get your 71JT? I got it 3 weeks back. Maybe they must have made some changes!!!

Edited by ajaynatu

Totally Agree. Also, if the stamp could be Fine and not Broad it would look better and classy. The big broad stamp of "Wality REGD 70" could be a finner.

When did you get your 71JT? I got it 3 weeks back. Maybe they must have made some changes!!!

I bought mine quite a while back (think least a year ago) and it had the same silver ebossed walilty logo.

I didnt realise they had made a change certainly looks much better :)

I bought mine quite a while back (think least a year ago) and it had the same silver ebossed walilty logo.

I didnt realise they had made a change certainly looks much better :)

How has your experience of Wality nibs been? Did you change or used the Wality nibs?

We can't buy from Amazon india here state side, regretfully, unless there is some trick, does not work, but can get some them on eBay

Great pen. Agree value for dollar spent much better and frankly I find eyedroppers less hassle

Ajay, great photography and well-crafted review. Really enjoyed learning about a new and unfamiliar pen. Efficient and to the point, requiring a great deal of organization, editing, and work on your part. Thank you.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

We can't buy from Amazon india here state side, regretfully, unless there is some trick, does not work, but can get some them on eBay

Great pen. Agree value for dollar spent much better and frankly I find eyedroppers less hassle

Not sure if they courier outside India. This is their official website. Maybe if you could have a word with them, there would be some way!

http://www.airmailpenco.com/index.html

Ajay, great photography and well-crafted review. Really enjoyed learning about a new and unfamiliar pen. Efficient and to the point, requiring a great deal of organization, editing, and work on your part. Thank you.

Thank you for such kind words.

Its always nice to review such a beauty and let everyone know about it.

Been busy past few days, will be shortly comparing it with 71JT, Camlin and Parker.