Help Spending ~$1,000 For A Mb... Possibly Fitzgerald We?

theodore94

Hi everyone,

I'm a fairly new and definitely inexperienced collector (and I'm 21-years-old). I've loved pens for several years, but I don't have a lot of money to spend on pens. However, something amazing happened: long story short, my brother (not a pen collector) wants to give me ~$1,000 to buy the pen of my dreams. This isn't a minor decision for me -- this pen will become, by far, the most expensive thing I own.

The problem? I had no clue I'd ever have this much money to spend on a pen. And so I really don't know what to get.

My brother and I went to the MB store and we looked at the new Shakespeare WE. It was very nice, and I have a good connection with Shakespeare's work. I went home and looked at the Fitzgerald WE online bc I love the Great Gatsby. It's tough to tell without actually seeing the pen, but it looks a bit less aesthetically appealing than the Shakespeare (also, I don't know much of anything about the symbolism other than the Art Deco design).

Anyways, I have a few questions:

1. Can you suggest any pens in the ~1,000 price range?

2. I've read a bit about the Fitzgerald WE online. Does anyone have any reviews? I tend to like a heavy pen that's just a little bit thicker than the Meiserstuck.

3. What is a good price range to pay for the Fitzgerald WE? I'm assuming the best way to buy the Shakespeare is full retail through the MB store? It's not like I'm looking to sell this pen (no matter what it is, it will have a lot of sentimental value coming from my brother), but I don't want to get ripped off or buy at the top of the market.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theodore94

• jar

• da vinci

• zaddick

The Fitz is a short pen so that the tip fits into the webbing between my thumb and forefinger given I hold my pens back on the section. Plus it's relatively light. All of which is why I sold mine. Some people found theirs subject to discoloration and staining.

Let me suggest to you that you put that money into something bearing what passes for a decent interest rate these days and wait until you have more experience with pens. Right now, you don't know what nib you prefer, haven't had the chance to handle very many, and might find your preferences changing drastically as you gain experience. There was a point in my life I had no idea B nibs existed. Now I adore OBBB and the like.

I don't know where you live, but the two of you might enjoy going to a pen show and experiencing a taste of what's out there beyond the current stock in your local MB store.

Don't rush. The pens will still be there when you've had a chance to explore. Plus it gives you a common interest with what sounds like an awesome brother.

Hi Ghost Plane,

Thanks so much for posting. Sound advice, for sure, but I may have left a few things out...

It's not exactly my choice to buy a pen or when to buy it. My brother graduated from college a few years back and got a phenomenal job. I'm graduating this year and looking at jobs myself now. He decided he wants to give me one "big gift" before I have a job and have enough money to buy something like this on my own. He's not a pen collector and is the kind of guy who would prefer a Timex to a Rolex and can't understand why I don't just buy a Bic from Staples. But he knows I love pens. He surprised me at the MB store on my birthday and wanted to just buy the Shakespeare right then and there, but I convinced him to give me a week or two to make sure it's what I want. You are definitely right: he is an awesome brother.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I have been collecting pens for 6 years now. I don't have a lot of money, so I tend to buy antiques from flea markets (I use Parker 51s and a few old Schaeffers for everyday use). I only have a few modern pens, but in terms of antiques, I have a good idea of what I like. I'd be looking for a fine nib (I realize that's weird, but I use my pens for math and fine is just better for detailed formulas). I'm assuming I can get a fine nib for any pen (they offered to order it from me at the MB store).

Thanks again -- hopefully this clears some things up.

Does it need to be new and from a store? Does it need to be bought in person? Probably any MB pen is available cheaper than at an MB boutique. But price may not be the only factor.

Thr Heritage 1912 is popular here. I like the Strauss donation pen as it has a bat on the nib. Most of the limited edition pens old ran a few years will have to be gottennoutside a boutique. Sometimes buying here is the best option. For example I have a mint, unused Dumas with the wrong signature that I had listed her before. You will NEVER see that at a boutique, but I am not a store and offer no warranty or nib width options. I did sell several pens like the Schiller and the Fitzgerald completely sealed from the factory for less than your budget so maybe consider FPN as a place to shop too.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Does it need to be new and from a store? Does it need to be bought in person? Probably any MB pen is available cheaper than at an MB boutique. But price may not be the only factor.

Thr Heritage 1912 is popular here. I like the Strauss donation pen as it has a bat on the nib. Most of the limited edition pens old ran a few years will have to be gottennoutside a boutique. Sometimes buying here is the best option. For example I have a mint, unused Dumas with the wrong signature that I had listed her before. You will NEVER see that at a boutique, but I am not a store and offer no warranty or nib width options. I did sell several pens like the Schiller and the Fitzgerald completely sealed from the factory for less than your budget so maybe consider FPN as a place to shop too.

Ditto on the 1912. That's a great looking pen.

That is a really tough decision but a great one to have to make :)

Like others I would just query whether a boutique is the way forward. If it is then take some time to enjoy the experience, try their tester pens both in terms of nibs and other pens in your budget. You may be surprised that you prefer a 149 to the Shakespere or that a blue hour solitaire to a 1912 etc.

I like the writers editions but your money will go a long way in the used market. So it is worth thinking about.

I like Jar's alternative suggestions and I would also throw in the Sailor King of Pens as well as some custom pens - may be a Shawn Newton with a custom nib or a Romillo.

It's a great decision to have to make. Enjoy :)

There are quite a few reviews of the Fitz on this site; I think I did one not so very long ago. If you do a search they should come up. I really like the Fitz, but it has got mixed reviews so I would avoid a purchase without actually seeing it. For me, the design is beautiful as I quite like art deco design. It is shorter than many of the WE's, but it is quite a stout pen. Posted it is perfectly balanced.

Found it:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/301938-montblanc-f-scott-fitgerald/

Edited by Uncial

My humble opinion:

Since you're only buying only one special pen at the moment, don't go for anything that is a part of a series or a collection.

Look for something unique that's meaningful for you in more than one way.

Hey everyone, thank you for all your comments. I don't need to purchase the pen in a boutique -- where else should I look? I've bought a few things from eBay, but I'm always worried I'll get a fake.

I'm pretty happy with my new 149. Consider a red gold or platinum trim option. Classy and iconic.

Edited by max dog

I bought the Shakespeare and absolutely love it. It's rather light, but I like that I could use it for longer periods of time without fatigue. I would honestly check out the classifieds here.

Hey everyone, thank you for all your comments. I don't need to purchase the pen in a boutique -- where else should I look? I've bought a few things from eBay, but I'm always worried I'll get a fake.

FPN and newpentrace.net classifieds. Also reputable sellers from eBay (many positive feedback so selling pens in your price bracket). Pen shows. Websites with good reputations (eg Go pens) - I think there is a thread around somewhere with a list of them?

hi jgwak2, the more I look, the more I love the Shakespeare. Did you get yours from a boutique, or do you think I should wait until it comes up on the classifieds section? da vinci, thanks for all the great places to look!

You've reminded me that I've not updated my personal spreadhseet of stats on the Writers Edition pens. In my XLS I record the weight of all the pens. My XLS goes up to 2012. Of the pens in the series from 1992-2012 the Fitzgerald is the 3rd lighted pen when capped and the 4th lightened when not capped.

The Shakespeare is definitely heavier and I'd be surprised if any of the other pens released since 2012 were lighter than the Fitzgerald.

Therefore if weight is important, I think the Shakespeare would be a better option.

The WE pens do not all sell out. I'm pretty sure last year my local boutique has a Fitzgerald for sale. If you were to go into your local boutique you could ask them to check worldwide stock. When I was back filling my collection I got them to order in the pens especially from Germany as there were not items in any of the UK boutiques. I have no idea how much they sell for now though.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.