Thinking About Buying My First High End Pen

StonedSnorlax

Hey guys I'm wanting to start collecting pens, I've found a nice montblanc 032p for sale and I'm considering purchasing it, the details that I have received are posted below

Model: Montblanc 032P

Construction year: between 1967 and 1970

Colour: black

System: cartridge system

Size: 5,11 inches

Nib: 14ct goldnib in M size

Condition: near mint condition

Features and informations about this pen:You are bidding for a Montblanc 032P in black. This model was produced between 1967-1970. The pen is the same like the MB 32 but with a special sign at the end of the barrel. The nib size is M. The name Montblanc and the respective model number were always engraved on the cap band. Special on this model is the yellow point at the end of the barrel. This yellow dot shows that it is a cartridge pen. The fountain pen has no scratches or dents and comes in a near mint condition.

What I'm trying to find out is what is a reasonable amount of money to pay for this pen,as I said I am new so ANY help would be greatly appreciated

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• StonedSnorlax

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First, pull up a stump and set a spell.

The 3x pens were entry level student pens and there were quite a few variations and styles with steel and 14k nibs, both cartridge and piston fillers and different hood designs. Generally they are reliable pens. There were the cigar shape 032s and also the slim line 32s. A picture would help determine which one you are looking at. They are not usually very expensive.

My Website

Neat. That's the slim line. At that time Montblanc used two digit designations with the first digit market level and the second digit length, either a 2 or 4. There were other numbers, a 31 that had a steel nib and another that meant it had a metal cap. The yellow dot is most likely there because the white snowflake that was there originally fell off (not all that uncommon) and someone filled the hole. It doesn't make much sense to indicate it is a cartridge pen by putting something on the bottom where it can't be easily seen. That section design is what I have always seen called a "Thumbnail" design.

It's a nice little pen, entry level but usually reliable and fun; takes International standard cartridges or the long Waterman ones. Likely sells in the $50-70.00 range. Missing the bottom snowflake should push it towards the lower end.

My Website

Oh wow. You just saved me $120 hahaha thank you for the info maybe one day I'll find a good deal, thanks again have a great day

There were the cigar shape 032s and also the slim line 32s.

~ jar:

Does this indicate that there was a model which began with ‘0’ in front of the ‘32’?

In other words, a three digit number was used for a pen with a wider configuration?

Tom K.

~ jar:

Does this indicate that there was a model which began with ‘0’ in front of the ‘32’?

In other words, a three digit number was used for a pen with a wider configuration?

Tom K.

There was the cigar shaped model that has always seemed confusing, stamped O-32 and O32 and Monte Rosa and likely other I forget (hey, I'm old) but I have never seen one of the slim two digit models with a three digit designation. What I have seen are two digit slim versions that had Oblique nibs with an O stamped near the bottom of the body or on the piston knob.

BUT... there are far more pens out there that I have never seen than those I have seen.

My Website

Oh wow. You just saved me $120 hahaha thank you for the info maybe one day I'll find a good deal, thanks again have a great day

Sorry if I ruined your day. The two digit pens in that series were really nice pens but you can find one of the top end pens in that series for $100-150.00.

Here's a price list from the period as well as a picture of the 32/34 page.

http://www.fototime.com/CAA5A1577DAA0DC/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/223E8E018DF550E/large.jpg

My Website

~ jar:

Many thanks for the explanation.

I've begun to form a vague sense of these models, having often seen them offered with other pre-owned fountain pens.

The price list is both an eye-opener and a jaw-dropper.

The ‘Montblanc Point Selection Chart’ is especially interesting.

149 3B Flexible? Wow!

Music Writing Points and Italic Points, too.

Until reading this I hadn't realized that nibs are also designated as ‘points’.

Thank you for the informative post.

Tom K.

Tom, don't get too excited. I watch for the big nibs and I've almost never seen 3Bs or music come available in the last 8-10 years I've been looking. I DO occasionally see the odd O3B on 149s. :puddle:

~ Ghost Plane:

They must be out there...somewhere...

Seeing them listed under “flexible”, no less, was enough to increase the old ticker's pace.

Having been listed, they must have been made, ergo someone must have taken them home.

Are they peacefully resting in a well-protected alcove, occasionally taken out for a scrawled doodle?

3Bs, Music and Flexible Italic Nibs all sound like what Aladdin would have requested had he been an FPN member.

Tom K.

I'm always hesitant when questions of pricing come up because it really is volatile and we all have our own idea of what something is worth. But it also annoys me when people write up the description of an item and patently embellish the facts. Yeah, to be successful you sell the sizzle and not the steak but rump roast is still rump roast no matter what you call it. It can be really tasty and feed a passel of kids on a budget but it ain't Porterhouse steak.

My Website

~ Descriptions amply larded with hyperbole are a sure road to disillusionment and ire.

My cherished 1951 3-42 G BB was my first ever vintage Montblanc.

The on-line description wasn't flashy, but attracted me by calmly describing its basic virtues.

As it happens, an FPN member who regularly posts here sold it to me.

The straightforward prospectus for the pen earned my trust.

I completely agree with jar's comment about embellished facts.

Tom K.

In my opinion there are a few sellers on eBay with wonderful photo composition skills who make pens look much more precious than they are in reality. That is why this site is such a valuable resource for some sane reference info.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

~ Ghost Plane:

They must be out there...somewhere...

Seeing them listed under “flexible”, no less, was enough to increase the old ticker's pace.

Having been listed, they must have been made, ergo someone must have taken them home.

Are they peacefully resting in a well-protected alcove, occasionally taken out for a scrawled doodle?

3Bs, Music and Flexible Italic Nibs all sound like what Aladdin would have requested had he been an FPN member.

Tom K.

I suspect there're so good that no one lets them go if they can help it.