Kaweco Supra Review (Brass)

Ebonite And Ivory

Up for review is my Kaweco Supra fountain pen. I am really impressed by this pen and will do my best to highlight its strengths and weaknesses.

One note at the outset for ALL PEN REVIEWERS (Yep, I am shouting): I spent three hours crafting this review already and then accidentally clicked the internet browser back button; the entire review was lost. Toggling forward did nothing. Please write your reviews in a Word Doc or some other software application and then paste your work into FPN for posting. Do as you wish, but my warning has been sent. Back to business

The flagship feature of this pen has to be the optional extension piece that provides about an inch of extra (or reduced) sizing for users in given scenarios. My assessment of this pen is as follows:

Appearance: 6 In this case, the appearance and design categories have to separated. This pen has a genius design but only an average appearance. Further, in this case, I feel the appearance rating is extra subjective.

I do believe there is such a thing as objective beauty, even if one is put off by the subject matter or doesnt care for the presentation at hand. One such example might be the majority of painstakingly crafted makie-e pen works (objectively impressive and beautiful). One may not care for the dragons or mythological creatures depicted on some makie-e pensin fact, some of them scare me! But, generally, there is enduring beauty in delicate craftsmanship. Still, these philosophical factors did not influence my rating because there is also great beauty to simplicity if executed correctly.

In this case, though the pen body is basically just a large bullet-casing in 100% brass, the presentation of the overall product is amazingly softer than it could have been. The finial contains a very cool Kaweco logo and is gently rounded, as is the end of the pen. The lines (if there is such a thing on this pen) are pleasant to behold. The brass is well polished and the overall finish is top notch. Brass, like any material, can be finished poorly or delicately; Kaweco opted for the latter option. However, I do think the pen is a bit choppy looking with the extender in place (to be explained later). So whats the verdict?

If you only enjoy pens with ornate accouterment, filigree work, and/or urushi finishes with captivating lines, then this pen sucks. But, if you want a pen made of a unique material but dont want to spring for a Visconti Homo Sapiens Lava edition, check out my brass! Stated another way, if you like tremendously understated simplicity, raise a glass to the no-nonsense (uncelebratory?) Germans at Kaweco who designed this pen and say cheers to the supra! Frankly, I love Kaweco.

Design: 8 This pen deserves a high score here because its highly portable and pragmatically designed. Being clipless and smooth, this pen will not get snagged on anything in a pocket, bag, or purse. If your pens must always have clips then dock the score. Its also heavy duty (to be discussed below under construction/quality) which ads to its portability and adjustability. And, arguably the flagship feature of this pen, the extension/contraction option found in the removable section of the barrel is genius. Further, in every layout the pen cap can be posted via a screw-on connection for security and comfort.

These features all combine to allow multiple people of differing sizes to share the same pen. And these allow the user(s) to adjust the pens dimensions for a given task at hand. The pictures tell the story best on this subject, but there are a few guiding words I wish to offer to ensure my observations are noticed and considered. Consider these scenarios: First, when the pen is posted without the extender in place, it perfectly into average-sized hands. However, when the pen is not posted it is ridiculously small for adult hands. Thus, if one desires to take quick notes there is the extra step (delay) of needing to screw on the cap. If one wants to write at length with this pen then screwing the cap on is not a problem and the issue is moot. Secondly, with the extender in place, the pen is the perfect length without the pen cap posted. But, where does one put the cap when taking quick notes since it cant be posted quickly without screwing it on? It can fall or roll away. Thirdly, this pen is ridiculous, full on silly, when posted with the extender in place. The pen becomes extremely heavy in this configuration and the balance is terribly back-heavy when posted like thisits well over 6 inches long and very thin so it looks, feels, and performs awkwardly when used in this manner. Just dont do it unless youre a masochist with strong wrists and a desire for quizzical looks.

So, the options for us, the users, boost this pens design score, as well as the cool screw-on cap for posting. But, sharp threads in all areas and some difficult sizing scenarios keep this pen from a 10 rating. 8 is still strong.

Construction/Quality:10 I have no reservations scoring this a 10. Perhaps the greatest strength of simplicity is the fact that theres no quirky filling systems or bells and whistles to break or act up. This pen is solid brass and everything fits together well. Nothing wobbles when tightened or squeaks when being turned on or off. These facts make this pen highly portable because I can toss it (not gently place, toss) in my bag or pocket or even my cup holder in the car with some change. The pen is punishment resistant. Try that with a new MB 149! There are no concerns here about protecting the precious resin body (cough, cough, plastic). If (when) this pen brasses (aka tarnishes) I may come back and raise or lower the score here or in the appearance section. Will it age with a cool, personalized patina like the Montegrappa Copper Mule pen? Or will it tarnish like great-grandmas silverware thats been tucked in her attic since World War One?

Weight/Dimensions: 6 The strengths here center on the somewhat customizable extension piece. But its not an 8 or higher because, as mentioned above, some of these configurations are a bit awkward. I love heavy pens, but this one is heavy for its size.

WITH EXTENSION PIECE:

Length Capped: 5.10'' / 129.6mm

Uncapped Length to tip of tines: 4.9'' / 124.2mm

Posted Length: 6.4'' /165mm (way too big & unbalanced!)

Section Diameter: 0.38'' - 0.41''/ 9.6 - 10.5mm

Barrel Diameter: 0.45'' - 0.48'' / 11.5 - 12.5mm

Weight : 50 g

WITHOUT EXTENSION PIECE:

Length Capped: 3.90'' / 99mm

Uncapped Length to tip of tines: 3.7'' / 95.0mm

Posted Length: 5.25''/133mm

Section Diameter: 0.38'' - 0.40''/ 9.7 - 10.2 mm

Barrel Diameter: 0.45''/ 11.5mm

Weight: 38 g

Nib/Feed: 6 This score is based on a sliding scale for what it is. I believe this pen sports a #6 sized steel Bock nib. Scored against a far more expensive Pelikan m1000 gold nib the supra would score a 4. But for the price of this pen the nib and feed were impressive. I want to mention this in detail because I have been reading and hearing that Kaweco nibs are pretty hit or miss, perhaps even more miss out of the box. Well, mine writes beautifully and required zero adjustments right out of the box. I have experienced zero hard starts, skipped lines, or babys bottom from this pen. This pen sports a fine (F) nib and writes just a little softer than a nail. There is very minimal line variation, but its detectable with some pressure. If you want flex in a pen, dont buy this one, and drop the score. There is no scratch to this nib, but there is plenty of feedback to let you know the pen is writing. It does not glide like butter, and if it had any more feedback I'd call it scratch. The pen does write upside down and lays down an E.F. line. The feed keeps up nicely with fast writing and even scribbling, and its actually quite wet for a fine (though far from a gusher). I also like the appearance of the nib, though thats not being exclusively scored here.

Filling System/Maintenance: 7 I suppose I never really know how to score a pen like this where everything just works. Its not clever or inventive, but why should I dock a pen for using tried and true methods? It disassembles nicely and flushes clean easily with a bulb syringe or running water. This pen is international converter friendly, however, two of my universal converters did not fit. I blame that more on ebay than Kaweco. J

One thing I would like to know and shall not delve into now is if this pen can house a double-length cartridge when the extender is in place. Let me know if you have tried. In my case, I am exclusively using this pen with cartridges as this will be my traveling pen. I do not always want to fiddle with loading and transporting traveling inkwells or bottles of ink so having one handy-dandy, durable, brass fountain pen fueled with disposable (or refillable) cartridges fits the bill for me.

Cost/Value: 6 I really like this pen. I would purchase it again, too. However, I do think it would be something to rave about at $60-75. At about $100USD shipped from overseas I am happy and far from feeling ripped off. But, I also dont feel I got a sweet deal at the MSRP. Why elaborate. This section, perhaps more than even the appearance section in this case, is highly subjective. How do I feel about the value of this pen? Since its not brazenly overprized, Id sayMeh. But, would I send it back for a refund? No.

Conclusion/Score: 7 As a reminder, this high score is based somewhat on a sliding scale for a pen that offers all these nifty features with solid nib performance for around $100 shipped. The anchoring factors that held the score firmly in the black were the adjustable extension options, a tank-like construction lending itself to portability, and the unexpectedly pleasant nib/feed experience. I do not feel its accurate or helpful to review all pens on the same scale; for, how would this pen score against the Namiki Vermillion Urushi #50 pen I just reviewed? Thats oversized urshi Apples versus brass oranges. Final words: I recommend this pen. I even like the little raised-logo tin can the box came in with a shiny little sticker as a bonus. :)

fpn_1472525938__14.jpg

fpn_1472525982__6.jpg

fpn_1472526047__10.jpg

fpn_1472526068__8.jpg

fpn_1472526082__2.jpg

fpn_1472526111__1.jpg

fpn_1472566120__capped_photo.jpg

fpn_1472526144__3.jpg

fpn_1472526129__9.jpg

fpn_1472526156__4.jpg

fpn_1472526178__12.jpg

fpn_1472526186__7.jpg

fpn_1472526195__15.jpg

Edited by Ebonite And Ivory

I am happy to meet you. Please message me if you have any questions or want to be pen friends.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ebonite And Ivory

• Jamerelbe

• aeba

• Out0Mind

Great review! I've been considering picking one of these up for a pen that feels a little better in my hand than the standard Lilliput. I keep one in my jacket pocket year round in the event I leave a pen behind.

This may just have swayed me!

@Ebonite and Ivory, I feel your pain - that's happened to me too! I now write (almost) all my reviews in a word processor then transfer...

Impressed with the 2nd (i.e. published) edition of your review, so thanks for going to the trouble - though I'm probably not in the market for another Kaweco right now. The cheaper Sports options tend to suit me well when I want a pocket pen!

Great review! I've been considering picking one of these up for a pen that feels a little better in my hand than the standard Lilliput. I keep one in my jacket pocket year round in the event I leave a pen behind.

This may just have swayed me!

Great! This would be a fantastic companion or trade-out for the Lilliput. The supra still provides guilt-free use but at a more manageable size IMHO. It's nice having a durable fountain pen with an adjustable size that I am not always terrified will be ruined if I drop it on the carpet (ehem, or tile). :)

I am happy to meet you. Please message me if you have any questions or want to be pen friends.

@Ebonite and Ivory, I feel your pain - that's happened to me too! I now write (almost) all my reviews in a word processor then transfer...

Impressed with the 2nd (i.e. published) edition of your review, so thanks for going to the trouble - though I'm probably not in the market for another Kaweco right now. The cheaper Sports options tend to suit me well when I want a pocket pen!

Thanks for your thoughts. This, indeed, may be the critical factor. If one has a Lilliput and/or a sport and/or, etc, etc, from Kaweco, is this pen ground-breaking enough to merit another somewhat similar pen purchase? Some would say yes I am sure, and many others would say no. However, here may be the trump card. Though I have always (generally) liked the company's design philosophy, I have never actually owned a Kaweco pen until now. If this "new" edition pen (kind've just a sport with stilts) offers enough ingenuity to convince potential customers to finally push the "buy it now" button, then mission accomplished. Your comment really got me thinking. What is the target market here? The easy answer is "everyone." But, the true answer may be more complex. Are they trying to sabotage sport purchases? Or will the price difference still allow both pens to be supported in the market place? Edited by Ebonite And Ivory

Excellent review. I always write everything in word and only then paste it elsewhere. It's infuriating to loose the thread. As for the pen - I enjoy it but not so much as to actually buy it.

That's a good policy! I also find it interesting that, though I uploaded the photos correctly, some of the pics are inverted or turned 90 degrees. Yet, when I open this review on my mobile phone all the photos are correctly orientated. Hmmm. Maybe someone should write a review of the FPN review process, lol.

Thanks for your thoughts. This, indeed, may be the critical factor. If one has a Lilliput and/or a sport and/or, etc, etc, from Kaweco, is this pen ground-breaking enough to merit another somewhat similar pen purchase? Some would say yes I am sure, and many others would say no. However, here may be the trump card. Though I have always (generally) liked the company's design philosophy, I have never actually owned a Kaweco pen until now. If this "new" edition pen (kind've just a sport with stilts) offers enough ingenuity to convince potential customers to finally push the "buy it now" button, then mission accomplished. Your comment really got me thinking. What is the target market here? The easy answer is "everyone." But, the true answer may be more complex. Are they trying to sabotage sport purchases? Or will the price difference still allow both pens to be supported in the market place?

I doubt they're trying to sabotage Sport purchases (!), so much as to fill a gap in their current offerings - the Sport pens have a wider grip diameter than the Lilliputs (and they've been expanding into a variety of metal versions of these too), but they're still a little narrow for some. The Supra also offers a larger (#6) nib, which may tip the scales in its favour for some. I'm quite happy with the form factor of the Sport pens I own (3 plastic Classic Sports, plus an AL-Sport), so I don't feel the need to buy the girthier pen - but, as you say, some customers may be attracted by the ingenuity of the design, and others by the larger diameter.

I doubt they're trying to sabotage Sport purchases (!), so much as to fill a gap in their current offerings - the Sport pens have a wider grip diameter than the Lilliputs (and they've been expanding into a variety of metal versions of these too), but they're still a little narrow for some. The Supra also offers a larger (#6) nib, which may tip the scales in its favor for some. I'm quite happy with the form factor of the Sport pens I own (3 plastic Classic Sports, plus an AL-Sport), so I don't feel the need to buy the girthier pen - but, as you say, some customers may be attracted by the ingenuity of the design, and others by the larger diameter.

Good points. Of course, I didn't mean they put this product out to intentionally sabotage the sport. I'm wondering if it's made as a head-to-head offering for people who just didn't pull the trigger on the sport for whatever picky consumer reason. Or, people who have a sport may opt not to buy another sport in a different finish in favor of this new (similar yet different) product. In that capacity, though Kaweco still gets a sale, it does in fact negatively impact the sales of sports. It's the business decision I guess that interests me.

Good points. Of course, I didn't mean they put this product out to intentionally sabotage the sport. I'm wondering if it's made as a head-to-head offering for people who just didn't pull the trigger on the sport for whatever picky consumer reason. Or, people who have a sport may opt not to buy another sport in a different finish in favor of this new (similar yet different) product. In that capacity, though Kaweco still gets a sale, it does in fact negatively impact the sales of sports. It's the business decision I guess that interests me.

I imagine this is a common occurrence with pen manufacturers. You could argue that, for example, half of Montblanc's or Parker's similarly sized lines directly compete with each other or take marketshare away from their own products by offering options.

I guarantee there's a market of people who won't purchase a Sport because of the Supra, but I see this more as an option to fill a gap for people who like the girth of the Lilliput but the length of the Sport and are actually getting what they want as opposed to having to compromise for one or the other.

That said, the largest value I see this pen bringing is that it brings one of their most popular lines into competition with pens like the Pelikan M200, TWSBI Vac Mini or, even, Diamond 580, etc... while still maintaining the ultra-portable behavior it's famous for. I'd imagine that even if it does cannibalize some Sport sales, the company will make up for it in competition with a different class of writing instruments.

I imagine this is a common occurrence with pen manufacturers. You could argue that, for example, half of Montblanc's or Parker's similarly sized lines directly compete with each other or take marketshare away from their own products by offering options.

I guarantee there's a market of people who won't purchase a Sport because of the Supra, but I see this more as an option to fill a gap for people who like the girth of the Lilliput but the length of the Sport and are actually getting what they want as opposed to having to compromise for one or the other.

That said, the largest value I see this pen bringing is that it brings one of their most popular lines into competition with pens like the Pelikan M200, TWSBI Vac Mini or, even, Diamond 580, etc... while still maintaining the ultra-portable behavior it's famous for. I'd imagine that even if it does cannibalize some Sport sales, the company will make up for it in competition with a different class of writing instruments.

Well said. Couldn't agree more after thinking about it further.

Great review thank you. I learned a great deal, that I would not know,I if you had given up after losing the first draft. So props for being persistent and not giving up.

I too have learned the hard way to do my "creating" in a word processing app and then transfer.

This took some adjustment since I've pretty much switched over to using iPads for everything now. I've settled into using the apps: Pages, and Notability. I just have to learn to take a breath, cool my jets and switch over to an app, rather than rattle off something right then and there...lol..

Have also had photos turned upside down by this uploader. As well as rejected pics, claiming they were too large. Even though I posted from the same camera (iPhone)before. Found a photo collage and image sizer app. So far all good.

So..I guess you're not alone, you just did a better job of explaining it all, in context...thanks again.

• 8 months later...

Great pen, I can back that up. This is the latest fountain pen I bought and it quickly became my favorite. I just love its vintage look, with screw cap.

I use it in its full length, with a Kaweco cartridge converter and black Kaweco ink. Writes flawlessly, even on bad quality paper.

Thanks for the detailed review. I was unsure how this pen would perform. Now I'm sold.

Does the regular clip for sports etc fit this pen?

Thanks for the detailed review. I was unsure how this pen would perform. Now I'm sold.

Kind of. The clip fits on Supra, but it is quite loose. In my opinion unusably loose. Maybe if you could clamp it tighter...

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

There's a special clip for the Liliput (be careful there are actually two - one's narrower for the ballpoint) - I would guess the Liliput FP one might fit the Supra.

There's a special clip for the Liliput (be careful there are actually two - one's narrower for the ballpoint) - I would guess the Liliput FP one might fit the Supra.

Unlikely. I don't own a Liliput, so can't say how narrow its cap is, but... SBRE Brown lists barrel diameters as

9,8mm for Liliput

11,6 - 12,4mm for Supra.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)