Noodler's Introduces A Refillable Cartridge

Margana

Noodler’s Ink is introducing a new 308 refillable ink cartridge. It fits both the Noodler’s Ahab and Neponset (with the white section insert). The cartridges will be available in a 10 pack, MSRP $10.00.

Nathan has a video with the details and it includes a brief history of the ink cartridge. Who knew its roots traced back to the American Civil War, some 150 years ago?

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pepsiplease69

• amberleadavis

• TSherbs

• PaganArcher

I look forward to getting my hands on some. I have an Ahab brush pen I use as a highlighter but it runs empty quite quickly. This will make my life a bit easier.

I just watched Nathan's video this morning when I got an email from Noodler's announcing this new product. Very interesting. Nathan has solved the problem of refilling ink cartridges and keeping them sealed until needed. This could be applied to all kinds of fountain pens if the manufacturers would step out of their comfort boxes and provide a refillable/seal-able cartridge. He even has the solution as to what to do with the air tight cap when being used in the pen! I love this.

Congratulations Nathan!

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Perhaps this will solve the problem some have reported with the Ahab converter. Just swap the cart for the converter instead of making it into an ED pen. Thanks for the info Margana.

I watched the video earlier (via FB, a post from the SF Pen Show), and WOW! I would love it if other pen manufacturers would produce refillable (or reloadable) cartridges (I'm looking at you, Nakaya/Platinum and Pilot/Namiki).

I guess I want an Ahab now. Hahaha.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Perhaps this will solve the problem some have reported with the Ahab converter. Just swap the cart for the converter instead of making it into an ED pen. Thanks for the info Margana.

Always happy to pass along good news. :)

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

I picked up a set of 5 carts for $5 yesterday from sunny at the SF show.

Haven't tried them out yet, save for just screwing it on to a neponset section to check how the threads fit. It's pretty good.

I think these will go on both my Ahabs and the neponset keeping 2 as spares.

No idea when it will be generally available but I suspect it will be very soon.

I was already eyedroppering my ink into the Ahab converter so this will let me do more of the same without having to worry about the piston shaft filling up with ink. And I have more ink capacity. And it's better than eyedroppering the whole Ahab because it will provide a layer of insulation.

I did try it out on my ebonite neponset and the thing didn't fit. I couldn't screw the barrel back on with the cartridge in place. Not enough room inside to accommodate the cart. So I have to highlight the OP where it said "neponset (with white section insert)" is an important qualifier.

Here's a photo (or it didn't happen)

post-91100-0-60347300-1472494962_thumb.jpeg

This would be a terrific thing to see for all pens, but I think the ink companies like getting top dollar for their regular cartridges and would'nt want to allow this great idea to be eating into the profit column.

Another reason to thank our lucky stars for the forward thinking of Nathan.

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

Hmm.... I've used the PSP ink tanks and liked them a lot. I wondered if that sort of technology could be reapplied.

http://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/PSP/reform_green_f_4.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I really love the idea I just wish there was an international cartridge version. I was just about to pick up an ahab, so this will be fun for that pen.

Cool! I had suggested something similar to him a couple of years ago, although I was just talking about a plain inner tank since it looked like it would be easy to do. I had found that regular eyedropper pens burped too much, and thought about a double-walled one. The Ahab seemed like a good base for that. However, having an inner tank that can be replaced like a cartridge is much nicer.

I haven't been a real fan of the Ahab, but I think this could turn them into one of my favorites.

I'll have to buy a new Ahab and try and set my favorite nib.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I got mine in the other day and so far I'm loving them. I'm laid up at home with a bout of late summer flu (I've been quarantined to my room for two days now as one of my kin has an effectively useless immune system) and the performance thus far is superb. They even seem to hold more ink than the usual filler, though I haven't tested that scientifically.