Noodler's Brexit - Exclusive!

The Good Captain

Another UK exclusive from Noodler's - BREXIT! Available from Niche Pens/Pure Pens here in the UK. A smashing bullet-proof ink which is a deep/royal blue, possible with slight purple undertones. It reminds me a little of a 'dark' Diamine Imperial Blue or J Herbin's Bleu Nuit.

Here's what Ross and his team say:

fpn_1472120511__brexit.jpg

New and exclusive Royal Blue/Purple Bulletproof Ink in 3 oz glass bottle (Approx 90ml)

Nathan Tardif is a follower of world politics and current affairs, with a soft spot for the United Kindom.

When the UK made the momentous decision and voted to leave the European Union, Nathan had the idea of making an ink to mark this event.

A tongue-in-cheek label suggests that the UK have come around to the idea of independence from a sovereign ruler in another country, much like their own former colony did a couple of hundred years before!

Incidentally, there's a lovely little story on the label which I'll type here.

'An Apology to His Majesty, King George III of The United Kingdom.

We humbly regret that at long last we have come to agree with the rebels in the colony of Massachusetts that liberty is worth the risk of defiance to all the powers of the sovereign (particularly the bureaucrats in Brussels).

So humbly and regretfully sorry about this, but we do send good wishes. The ink is royal purple, eternally bulletproof and pH neutral so as not to risk further offence to His Majesty.'

Note: not my political views, one way or another - just what's written on the label!

It's a nice ink but a little prone to a bit of feathering on some papers. As usual. the written review is on Rhodia 80g/m2 and the soak tests are on 'indifferent' paper.

fpn_1472120387__brexit_0001.jpg

Soak test before...

fpn_1472120399__brexit_0002.jpg

...and after: 30 minutes soak followed by a rinse.

fpn_1472120409__brexit_0003.jpg

I like this ink more than Monkey Hanger, as it is a deeper colour. It will make a nice change to Prime of the Commons!

Edited by The Good Captain

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• inkstainedruth

• DarkAudit

• amberleadavis

I'll never trust these official swabs again. Such a let down.

I thought it'd be a luscious blurple like in the EU flag. It turns out to be much more muted blue black than I expected. A really boring colour in my opinion. Thank you for the review anyway! Now I don't need to hunt down a bottle.

A comparison with Kung Te Cheng due, maybe?

Great review! Now I finally know what is on the label of the ink ;)

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Thanks for the review and for helping us all make up our minds.

I quite like its faded blue appearance but my "feather-dar" is picking something up . . . :unsure:

I quite like its faded blue appearance but my "feather-dar" is picking something up . . . :unsure:

Crivens, I believe you're right. Drat. I rather liked the faded blue too, but prefer feathers on my birds, not my page.

Thank you for the review, Cap'n. Especially helpful, given the impression the swab was making.

I am not fond of Blurples.. and I was willing to go for a bottle just cause of the AMAZING LABEL!!! (It wouldn't be the first time I buy Noodlers just for the label.. lol)... But, is kind of light. I don't mind a "vintagy" look, but the "faded" looks doesn't jive with me.

Does PurePens do samples?

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

It looks like it's quite close in colour to Kyo-iro Soft Snow of Ohara, a greyish blurple.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

I'll never trust these official swabs again. Such a let down.

I thought it'd be a luscious blurple like in the EU flag. It turns out to be much more muted blue black

+1 on that!

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Thanks for yet another clear review, Good Captain. You manage to get the newest inks so fast! The ink might be interesting with a broad nib (some promise of shading in your example). As for the review "a little prone to a bit of feathering" is a great piece of criticism that might also apply to most of the Brexit discussions I've heard.

The feathering is an issue, but the color is interesting. And I like its water resistance. It would be interesting to see it compared to Blues Upon the Plains of Abraham and Henry Hudson Blue (both exclusive inks in their own right) and to Miles Standish (the LE ink from last year's Commonwealth Pen Show).

I'm finding as time goes on I am starting to like complex ink colors more and more: the blue-greys, the sepia-toned browns, the greens with a hint of yellow in them, the red-leaning purples and violets (as well as the indigo-leaning ones). And Brexit is definitely not an "in your face" smack in the middle of the spectrum blue....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Wow, that Pelikan is really nice!

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

For those interested in comparisons with Kung Te Cheng and Soft Snow of Ohara, MalcolmH posted one in another thread. I'm not sure I know how to link to a post within a thread, but I shall try:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/230980-which-inks-are-you-using-today/page-57?do=findComment&comment=3689990

Thanks for posting the link. That version of Kung Te Cheng looks a lot more purple than what I've got in a pen at the moment. Mine is more indigo blue with an undertone of purple, until you dilute the ink.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for the review! It seems it's been awhile since Noodler's came out with a new bulletproof ink. Glad to see this! It looks similar to Kung Te-Cheng. Do you have clogging issues with Brexit? Kung Te-Cheng was only supposed to be used with a Preppy pen that came with it, and it tends to clog even that (I've had to replace the Preppy a few times, in fact, due to clogging).

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik