Older Platinum 3776 Nib Inscription?

tmenyc

Hi Tim,

Sorry for the delay in uploading the photos. I hope it is not too late for your use, Tim. Just and additional info on the nib and feed on the older Gathered pens, the feed and nib has a definite spot that it goes in snugly, so when you reassemble the pen and push in the feed and nib back in the section, you should do it gently and search for the right spot as you would do any vintage pen's nib and feed setup. On the other hand, the newer Gathered pen with plastic feed doesn't have that definite spot, and that one can be pushed in the section pretty much anywhere, without having to rotate the feed/nib combo gently inside the section opening.

I have taken photos of my Fist, Second, and Third/Current generations of Platinum Gathered #3776 pens. My pens in the photos all have Broad nibs. I have another First gen. pen in Medium which is not photographed.

Also, since my last post, because my interest in these Gathered pens was rekindled, I had to find and order another Gathered pen, this time I found a Red one with finned feed. The nib and feed are not very clear in the photo so I am yet to figure out what era this Red pen comes from. But when I have it in my hand I will post some more photos for your information, and for anyone else who may be interested in seeing another sample photo.

Everything that I wrote above in my previous post still holds, except for the manufacture date stamped on the nib. My 2 1st gen pens and 1 2nd gen pen have the same number for what I though was the "year" (53, Showa 53 is 1978, which is the actual year that the first #3776 Gathered model was introduced into the market). All my pens came from different sellers at different times and I would be surprised if all three of them were made in the exact same year (zchen's pen too). I am now not sure if the number actually is the manufacture date or if it is the code for the type and tip size of the nibs. I am getting confused... :) Because of this, the rough dating of the pens you have may be more difficult. I am confident that the feed shape change occurred in the order that I list them (plain ebonite - finned ebonite - finned plastic) but I can't help you much with dating your pen in any accuracy. I know Pilot used this kind of code for their manufacturing date on their nibs but does Platinum do the same thing?

FYI I found a Platinum company history page here in English and here in Japanese.

I don't know what to make of the stamped numbers, so here are the numbers on the small sample size of Gathered pens nibs I have (now 4, soon to be 5). You can tell me what you think the numbers mean.

1st gen Medium: Front 20, Back 1053

1st gen Broad: Front 20, Back 953

2nd gen Broad: Front 20, Back 953

3rd gen/Current Broad: Front 26, Back 615

(zchen's Medium Fine nib had 253 on the back)

Now on to the photos. From Left to Right, 1st 2nd and 3rd/Current models.

29266365962_895ce333c1_b.jpg

29087015800_9d1e16174d_b.jpg

28750970774_7986969da8_b.jpg

29087003890_3f3abfdeca_b.jpg

29295723631_b951101269_b.jpg

29295712671_f3afb6cc03_b.jpg

29086964290_62a9edca50_b.jpgPlatinum "Gathered" or Ribbed #3776 pens in Black, comparison by ---SNAK---, on Flickr

I hope this helps. And if someone knows anything else about these pens, please contribute as I am keen to know more about them too. Thanks! :D

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmenyc

• SNAK

• zchen

• Notgatherox

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There exist a plastic feed that is after the 2nd Ebonite version and prior to the current 3776 Century style plastic feed you show above. As well as a nib design change from narrow shoulders to broad shoulders, this version then evolved into the 3776 version of the nib shown in your pictures, it was used both with the Ebonite and plastic feeds.

Here's a Japanese blogger showing the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens.

Another blog showing 2nd and 3rd gen

Oh and here's a picture of my eviscerated 1st gen Gathered. As you can see, the feed goes into a housing and then is screwed into the section. The previous owner actually broke the section at the threads, left those parts screwed into the barrel, then super glued the section on on to the barrel. I had to drill the section out to salvage the pen...

post-106631-0-22603700-1472704451_thumb.jpg

Edited by zchen

Snak, Zchen --

Many many thanks, this is really helpful, especially since the pen is back with its owner Jaco10017 and, even after extensive flushing, appears to need that feed and need pulled.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

• 7 months later...

Imma bump this thread to ask if anyone ever did get to the bottom of the dating issue outlined in SNAK's excellent post #21.

I have long coveted one of these older 3776 pens. I have passed them up a few times and really regretted it. One of my most heavily lusted after pens, which has always eluded me, is a working Waterman 100 year pen. I love the design. I like the ribs and the belly band on that pen and on this one clearly harkens back to that pen.

So now I own one. A rev B variant with the large slightly more conical nib and the ebonite feed with the slots. Funny that everyone of these I have seen has been a B nib. it is a slender B nib but I have always loved Platinum's B nibs as they are like a thin B or a generous M nib which is perfect for those of use who want to see some ink on the page but still need a pen thin enough to work on 7mm lined paper (at work, for example).

The example I had I got out of an odd situation at the Seoul pen show. It was one from the personal collection of the organizers of the show who had just made a very expensive "grail" pen type purchase and needed to raise some cash. She had 2 of these both identical, both with some wear and a lot of coppery patina on the nib. I chose one, not a bargain but goodness is it a hell of a pen. A real joy. Tons of mojo, a great writer with a vintage vibe, and you could tell the pen was well used and loved and it is ergonomic champ. The shape of the section is a real joy, just terrific in the hand.

I am honestly a bit taken aback at how much I like this pen. Perhaps this is "honeymoon period hyperbole" but this pen is nearly on par with my vintage Omas 557 and other such pens. The nib is glorious.

Of course Platinum converters are crud and rattle. I often think the venom aimed at Pilot's converters would be better aimed at Platinum but ... they work (usually) and the rest of the pen is fantastic.

I am guessing this is 80s? Still Taiwan or Japan? I am genuinely curious to know.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Thanks for bringing this thread up again, ink-syringe, as I had forgotten to upload some more photos and add some extra info about the nib inscription and numbers on the nib. I received the Red #3776 Gathered pen soon after my last post, but I had plumb forgot to post the photos and info on this thread, although I think I must have posted the photos elsewhere on FPN.

It turned out that this red one is a version in between what I originally called 2nd and 3rd (current) generations. See below for what zchen described earlier in this thread.

There exist a plastic feed that is after the 2nd Ebonite version and prior to the current 3776 Century style plastic feed you show above. As well as a nib design change from narrow shoulders to broad shoulders, this version then evolved into the 3776 version of the nib shown in your pictures, it was used both with the Ebonite and plastic feeds.

Here's a Japanese blogger showing the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens.

Another blog showing 2nd and 3rd gen

My red (3rd gen) pen has a plastic feed that is a different design to the current plastic feed, the nib is a flat at the top with wider shoulder, and the nib size is still inscribed in Japanese, unlike the current generation (which I will now call the 4th generation) which has English letter(s) for the nib size such as EF, F, M, and B.

Please see photos below for the slight difference in the plastic feeds in the 3rd and 4th generations of #3776 Gathered pens.

29565753201_5d9f0769f2_b.jpgPlatinum Gathered #3776 Red (3rd Generation) with Broad nib

Pens from Left to Right: Platinum #3776 Gathered 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th (current) generations.

29519249802_a0ba8b7eb4_b.jpg

29630119465_a1df453063_b.jpg

29630079335_e6c7603018_b.jpg

29005975813_79b89a51a6_b.jpg

29339408510_def70939b3_b.jpg

29565679261_fce78b173a_b.jpg

I hope you continue to enjoy your Gathered pen, ink-syringe. I agree with you that the section of these pens are really lovely to hold and I appreciate the balance of the pen when I use it (I don't post the cap) especially for a long writing session.I always have at least one of my Gathered #3776 pens inked at any given time. :)

I don't know what to make of the stamped numbers, so here are the numbers on the small sample size of Gathered pens nibs I have (now 4, soon to be 5). You can tell me what you think the numbers mean.

3rd gen/Current Broad: Front 26, Back 615

Imma bump this thread to ask if anyone ever did get to the bottom of the dating issue outlined in SNAK's excellent post #21.

I have checked the stamped numbers on the nib on my red Gathered to add to the data, and I will add it to the list again below. I still don't know if the stamped numbers are dates or nib size/type or what, but here it is, for clever people to think about and to do further digging if they wish.

3rd gen Broad: Front 20, Back 204 (new data)

4th gen/Current Broad: Front 26, Back 615

(my random #3776 nib from a Platinum #3776 Century Chartres Blue UEF nib: Front 26, Back no stamping)

I have checked the stamped numbers on the nib on my red Gathered to add to the data, and I will add it to the list again below. I still don't know if the stamped numbers are dates or nib size/type or what, but here it is, for clever people to think about and to do further digging if they wish.

3rd gen Broad: Front 20, Back 204 (new data)

4th gen/Current Broad: Front 26, Back 615

(my random #3776 nib from a Platinum #3776 Century Chartres Blue UEF nib: Front 26, Back no stamping)

Per Mr. Bruno Taut the codes are dates in MYY/MMYY format with earlier year numbers corresponding to Showa years and later ones going to western calendar

• 1 year later...

Well, this suggests that all 1st and 2nd generation nib pens listed here date from 1978, as that is the actual conversation date for Showa 53.

Or, all those nibs were made 1978. I think the latter is more likely...

s.

Jyrki

Edited by philhygra

• 2 years later...

> Well, Japanese characters (Kanji) includes many Chinese characters

Let's say differently: Japanese took the full set of Chinese characters and simplified them*. These simplified characters then became the standard script called Kanji. Some of the Kanji are still identical to the Hanzi (Chinese characters). It is similar to forking in software development. *Chinese also simplified their old characters but differently.

• 8 months later...

A couple questions about old 3776s with ebonite feeds, if I may, please.

I have a Gathered with a 2nd generation feed, as shown in the post with photos above. Unfortunately, I managed to break the feed (don't ask ...). Does anyone sell a replacement feed?

I also have a flat-top cap 3776 (not Gathered) with what looks to be the same feed. It was working great until I decided to change to a different ink (just a normal, dye-based ink that I have had not problems with in other pens) and now there's virtually no ink flow, even after changing back to the ink that was working great originally and leaving the section in the ultrasonic cleaner for a long time. How do you remove the feed from this pen, please?

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens