More New Diamine Packaging - 30Ml Bottles And Cartridges!

The Good Captain

There have been changes to the packaging of Diamine's 30ml bottles and cartridges as well, as some of you might already know. My photos from my phone don't do them justice, but then although I'm a professional photographer - albeit retired! - I never did 'macro' stuff at all. So you'll just have to take my word for it.

The theme continues with the boxes for the 80ml bottles, with a coloured and labelled 'swatch' of the relevant ink: on the label for the 30ml bottle and on the boxes of the 18 and six cartridges. They look a whole lot better I must. Judge for yourselves but don't let my pictures put you off...!

fpn_1471770933__diamine_new_1.jpg

fpn_1471770947__diamine_new_2.jpg

fpn_1471770959__diamine_new_3.jpg

I think that Diamine have made a big step forward with their whole new product concept and long may it continue!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• The Good Captain

• lgsoltek

• Cassotto

From the aesthetics standpoint opinions will vary, as a matter of personal preferences (perhaps a tad inconsistent and too busy design IMO). BUT - much easier to spot what-is-what.

Such package change does come with few pence / unit increase in cost, compared to the previous one, I would assume we might expect a price increase somewhere down the line (?).

I will keep on enjoying my existing Diamines, and continue reaching for new ones - with Diamine, packaging design was never a decision making point.

Thank you for posting this update!

PS - in my working life I am busy with packaged fluids (a bit of different kind) - such transitions are a great challenge from operations and pricing side, therefore my reference on potential price increase - it is purely my own assesment.

Edited by MsRedpen

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

I really wasn't sure about the new gold theme on the glass bottles, but must say the 30ml looks much better. And an all round huzzah for the demise of those finicky little grey name tags which must have driven Diamine mad putting them on, never mind the end user when they fell off...!

As already said, design style is a very personal preference. These designs are too fussy for me and don't appeal. By copying the current trend for faux "hand-lettering" that is already becoming rather ubiquitous and somewhat clichéd, I think these designs will look very dated very quickly.

I do like the clearer colour identification though - long overdue. Shame they didn't pair that with a new simpler, cleaner house style.

But then, packaging has never been an important factor to me for choosing an ink.

Verba volant, scripta manent

To me, all the fancy packaging and fancy bottles means that I'm potentially paying more for my ink.

When my inks are stored away, what does it matter about packaging?

What I need is a good ink, in a bottle which I can use to the last drop, with a label that tells me what's in it, at a price which I can afford.

If it looks nice...bonus.

These new labels have the colour on them. Great. The inks in them are really good. Great. The price hasn't increased (yet :) ). Great.

Good work, old chap! The new boxes are outstandingly good. I'm so thankful that they have now come out with that (months ago): {a} it is practical and aesthetic at the same time, and {b} it now saves me pasting on small labels with the name onto the front of the box, at the lower part of the box so that I can see what's in the box when I look at it sideways. Whew! Also, your photos from a phone are excellent.

fpn_1523793293__applause.png

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

There are a lot more things to complain about Diamine before we get around to the packaging.

I agree the packaging is really a minor consideration. Re the inks, for me Diamine are a mixed bag. Some pleasant colours, some are fairly generic, and others are just plain dull, inconsistent or badly behaved. The sparkly thingy inks I wouldn't touch.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Yes, they look well. Now the question arises where should I look for them? Thereare few colors I want to order and I would prefer them in new packaging.

I think that Diamine will be favourites to send them in new packaging, whereas other sellers may have bottles in older packaging that they might sell first.

Packaging is going to be part of their fixed costs so will be covered very quickly as the new design is really a one time cost, so will they pass those few pennies on to the consumer? Only if they were at a tipping point where if they hit a certain level which they felt they couldn't just absorb. In my experience, a change such as this isn't significant enough to see a price bump. But I don't know their cost structure.

I company I used to work for changed the bottle from a 32 oz generic bottle, clear (think vinegar bottle) glass, to a custom green glass 1 liter bottle with no price increase passed to the consumer. Much nicer bottle, and yes their actual costs did go up. I don't recall how much, but they had enough profit margin built in it was easily covered. (this was a juice product)

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I still need and want a couple of handfuls of the 80-ml bottles (filled) but will do all I can to get the old bottles because of their caps, which are IMO superior. At least more practical and also much better looking. Even if they come in their old boxes. Why didn't they just simply stick with the old bottles and caps but improve the boxes for those bottles?

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

What a difference a label makes! I always thought the 30ml bottles looked really cheap, but this is a vast improvement. Yes, still the same plastic bottle, but it looks professional now.

I still need and want a couple of handfuls of the 80-ml bottles (filled) but will do all I can to get the old bottles because of their caps, which are IMO superior. At least more practical and also much better looking. Even if they come in their old boxes. Why didn't they just simply stick with the old bottles and caps but improve the boxes for those bottles?

Because they can no longer buy those old bottles.

Good work, old chap! The new boxes are outstandingly good. I'm so thankful that they have now come out with that (months ago): {a} it is practical and aesthetic at the same time, and {b} it now saves me pasting on small labels with the name onto the front of the box, at the lower part of the box so that I can see what's in the box when I look at it sideways. Whew! Also, your photos from a phone are excellent.

fpn_1523793293__applause.png

Mike

I do my best...!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• 1 year later...

I really wasn't sure about the new gold theme on the glass bottles, but must say the 30ml looks much better. And an all round huzzah for the demise of those finicky little grey name tags which must have driven Diamine mad putting them on, never mind the end user when they fell off...!

Well, I miss them. I store my ink bottles in a drawer, and being able to tell which bottle is which when seeing them from above was helpful. I don't have too many bottles, so it's not really a big problem, but having just two of the new bottles made me pick the wrong one 50% of the time (until I decided to put them in alphabetical order, which is practical for just two bottles). When the tags fall off a bit of sticky tape does the job, I think.

I'm usually a bit reluctant to accept changes, and I'm undecided about this. I'm thinking mainly of the 30 bottles, which are the only ones I've got with the new packaging. While the old design was perhaps too spartan, the new one is too flashy for my taste. At least the ink colour is shown in the label. Perhaps what I would have done, had I had the chance, is maintain the same label design, adding the name and making the labels in the same colour as the ink.

But anyway, it's not the packaging which makes me buy or not buy an ink.

I know this was an old thread, but it's not until recently I've got the new bottles.

Edited by Cassotto

It isn't true that you live only once. You only die once. You live lots of times, if you know how. (Bobby Darin)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. (Oscar Wilde)