Vietnamese Pens With Flexible Nibs

bokchoy

Hello!

While looking at handwriting samples, I came across some lovely pictures of Vietnamese cursive. I love it but what really caught my eye was the line variation. Many samples looked as though they were written with flexible nibs. When I asked, I was told this sort of writing is highly valued in Vietnam and that it's taught in school. Furthermore, the pens used to produce this beautiful style are produced in Vietnam. Modern flexible nibs are available at any stationary store!

I was also directed to several websites but I don't understand Vietnamese, nor can I discover how to purchase one. Several people have told me that these pens are only available in Vietnam. It's a shame because this pen appears to have a flexible nib, this is a $2 student pen fitted with what appears to be a right oblique, and the Facebook page of the pen manufacturer has videos demonstrating flex. It's fascinating that they sell right obliques. According to this thread, right obliques were once used for Copperplate and they're capable of line variation similar to a pointed pen.

So, now that I've got a burning curiosity about Vietnamese fountain pens, does anyone have experience with them? How do they perform, and is it possible for an international buyer to get their hands on one? With high demand for flex amongst the fountain pen community, I'm sure a modern option that is both affordable and better-smelling than the Noodler's pens would be popular.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maurizio

• SpecTP

• bokchoy

• Zookie

Interesting. I hope someone who understands Vietnamese will come along here to help us translate.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

I'm willing to bet that if you reach out to them, someone would be on hand who speaks some English or French.

I learned Vietnamese in the early seventies, but never used it and it flew away :(

I may be wrong, but wouldn't a right oblique look like flex righting depending on how the pen was held and used? So these may not be flex but only replicate flex by how they are used. In any case, I sent a request to the poster of the FB page via Messenger for more info on this pen. I hope he has someone on his end that understands English better than I understand Vietnamese. Hope to get to the bottom of this as my Ahab is not as flexy as I had hoped it would be and if there is a nice flex (real flex) pen out there at a reasonable price, I'd like to know about it.

The Vietnamese flex pens apparently use Nikko brand dip pens from Japan, rather than fountain pen nibs. One possibility would be to install those in a Desiderata fountain pen, made for the job.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

I agree with Tweel. This pen in particular would appear to be using a dip nib. One of the Jinhao/G nib hacks or a Desiderata using Zebra G nibs would do the trick.

http://butmaithayanh.vn/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/IMG_4241.jpg

I may be wrong, but wouldn't a right oblique look like flex righting depending on how the pen was held and used? So these may not be flex but only replicate flex by how they are used. In any case, I sent a request to the poster of the FB page via Messenger for more info on this pen. I hope he has someone on his end that understands English better than I understand Vietnamese. Hope to get to the bottom of this as my Ahab is not as flexy as I had hoped it would be and if there is a nice flex (real flex) pen out there at a reasonable price, I'd like to know about it.

Has someone referred you to the 'Ease my flex' mod/thread for the Ahab yet? https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/240492-noodlers-ahab-ease-my-flex-mod/

I can say from experience that, with some basic tools and some crafty inclination, the flex of the Ahab can greatly be increased without the pen becoming 'cumbersome' to use.

However, you should do this in 'baby steps' because removing material is always significantly easier than putting it back.

what are you looking to have translated? I am vietnamese.

Is butmaithayanh a national brandname or just the name of a single shop that sells pens named after themselves?

Are they also sold elsewhere other than at that 1 shop?

I checked out their Facebook page. It looks like an independent dealer. The name "but mai thay anh" translates to 'pen sharpening teaching writing'. It looks like they do nib alterations and calligraphy teaching. As far as I can tell it is just that one shop in Hanoi.

Edited by SpecTP

thanks for the translation SpecTP

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com