Noodlers New Ink - American Aristocracy !

Cyber6

Sorry Cyber6, a $12.50 bottle of ink is not the same as a $30,000+ BMW. And you know based on the swabs and small sample kind of like how the ink will look given all the variables associated with those things.

If you don't like the colors of the inks, well then obviously don't buy them.

And we don't know whether the stock is evenly divided between the colors. Could be that 80% of them are one of the three colors. We'll never know.

And I don't think it's just Mr. Tardiff being lazy, or inconsistent, or whatever excuse people want to imagine here. If you look at the Noodler's web site there are mentions as to why you might want an ink the actually is different from batch to batch. But if you can't handle that then I'd recommend you not buy these inks.

Disclaimer: I have no association with Noodler's, Mr. Tardiff, his distributor, Goulet Pens, etc. I just happen to like ink. And I just put a bottle in my cart. So there. :P

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyber6

• glorfindel

• white_lotus

• Tas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry Cyber6, a $12.50 bottle of ink is not the same as a $30,000+ BMW. And you know based on the swabs and small sample kind of like how the ink will look given all the variables associated with those things.

Well is not the money.... that is why I purposely added the shoes and dress example (which you ignore)... For all you know is a $5 pair of sandals and a $10 slip-dress... :P

Now lets take your comment (below) ... Noodlers has been know to switch color batches in the past... Lets say, a specific color might have 2 or 3 variations (batch variation)... And that is when he is trying to be consistent... :rolleyes: .... Imagine now, how can we NOT expect to have the same color variation in this Ink. Consumer should expect between 6-9 batch variations... (Approx 2-3 per color) :lol: :lol:

Actually it's not like any color will be in the bottle, but one of three very similar colors. So I don't think anyone need be concerned that they'll get something that isn't one of the three shown. And Noodler's has been known to switch up their formulas and batches from time to time and no one seems to mind the color shifts (well very much).

I personally like 2 of the 3 colors. I have many bottles of Mr Tardiff inks.. and I don't feel I am attacking his inks.. I just don't agree to this marketing "initiative"...

Peace... http://www.friendskorner.com/forum/images/smilies/a030.gif

C.

Edited by Cyber6

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Oh this is right up Noodler's alley. It's a goofy concept and as such, a 1 person company with a history of very strong political beliefs and/or play on words and other things, I expect this.

All the colors look cool to me, obviously I prefer the purpley one more.

Look at it like Pokemon! Gotta catch em all and at times, they had multiple of the same one.

If only I could get a set of all three... I'd do that. I like two of the three colors a lot, and the third isn't bad. But I don't want to buy three bottles with the chance of getting three of the "not bad" one. lol

Ahh well. If it doesn't sell well, I assume it'll fade away pretty quickly. (Or maybe he'll introduce complete sets for those of us who don't want to gamble?)

It's cool Cyber6. Peace too.

I have friends that are whiskey historians, and back in the colonial era booze in a barrel was called "rum" and it didn't matter if it came from the West Indies or was locally produced from grain or fruit. It often got called the same thing, kind of like how sometimes people might ask for a "coke" but it doesn't mean a particular brand of soda, just a brown colored sugary fizzy drink. :)

If only I could get a set of all three... I'd do that. I like two of the three colors a lot, and the third isn't bad. But I don't want to buy three bottles with the chance of getting three of the "not bad" one. lol

Ahh well. If it doesn't sell well, I assume it'll fade away pretty quickly. (Or maybe he'll introduce complete sets for those of us who don't want to gamble?)

Having a set of all three is something I would also possibly go for. Well, maybe not at the moment -- I just picked up a bottle of Diamine Turquoise and a backup bottle of Waterman Mysterious Blue....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think the idea to give an ink one name but three different colors is not good for buyers. But really, thinking about it, this is an issue that any retailer can choose to fix, right?

The Goulet store has announced that it is selling them blindly. For a high volume internet seller that makes sense. And some people have said they like the surprise idea. If sales turn out to be slow, because buyers really want to know what they are getting, Goulet can always change its policy.

But that doesn't mean every store will sell these inks blindly. I can see a smaller, more personal operation like Anderson or Vanness deciding it would make business sense for them to do a quick Q-tip swab of the bottles and categorize them as 1, 2 or 3. In fact, that's exactly what I'd do if I were them. Set yourself apart. Offer better service.

There are a lot of other ink sellers, too. Besides Vanness and Anderson, there's Pen Chalet, Pen Boutique, ipenstore, Fountain Pen Hospital and so many others I can't think of because it's late. :) One of them should seize this opportunity. Perhaps then others will follow.

I gotta admit I don't like the idea and probably won't buy this ink.

However...

Man, oh man, am I glad that people like mr Tardiff, dr. Jansen, whoever is responsible for Sailor and Diamine inks exist and do what they do. I'm living a dream! And I'm willing to close a blind eye on little mischievous pranks they do time to time.

It's quite interesting...

Most people who have commented on Goulet's Facebook post about these inks are possitive to the idea. On Goulet's blog it's about 50/50. And here on FPN the majority is quite negative to the whole thing.

I guess Noodler's will notice which one is the accurate opinion of their customers when they see the number of sales.

Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

I think the idea to give an ink one name but three different colors is not good for buyers. But really, thinking about it, this is an issue that any retailer can choose to fix, right?

The Goulet store has announced that it is selling them blindly. For a high volume internet seller that makes sense. And some people have said they like the surprise idea. If sales turn out to be slow, because buyers really want to know what they are getting, Goulet can always change its policy.

But that doesn't mean every store will sell these inks blindly. I can see a smaller, more personal operation like Anderson or Vanness deciding it would make business sense for them to do a quick Q-tip swab of the bottles and categorize them as 1, 2 or 3. In fact, that's exactly what I'd do if I were them. Set yourself apart. Offer better service.

There are a lot of other ink sellers, too. Besides Vanness and Anderson, there's Pen Chalet, Pen Boutique, ipenstore, Fountain Pen Hospital and so many others I can't think of because it's late. :) One of them should seize this opportunity. Perhaps then others will follow.

Laura, I like your idea, but do you think that it compromises the product (introducing, say, contaminates) to have opened it and dipped a non-sterile item into it? It's no big deal to me (I'd rather get inks from individuals selling stuff they don't like and help out their wallets), but others may balk at the idea of it being lightly "used" but still the same price. Or maybe this is the trade-off for certainly of color....

I gotta admit I don't like the idea and probably won't buy this ink.

However...

Man, oh man, am I glad that people like mr Tardiff, dr. Jansen, whoever is responsible for Sailor and Diamine inks exist and do what they do. I'm living a dream! And I'm willing to close a blind eye on little mischievous pranks they do time to time.

hear, hear

It's quite interesting...

Most people who have commented on Goulet's Facebook post about these ink are possitive to the idea. On Goulet's blog it's about 50/50. And here on FPN the majority is quote negative to the whole thing.

ACTUALLY... when I first posted .. the breakdown in the Goulet site was 90/10 (90% of posts were VERY excited... and a couple of guys were saying "I don't think I like this idea")... I couldn't believe the ratio.... knowing how picky the FP community is.. :lol:

As time went by... I saw the increase. I wonder if it will continue to increase to be 20/80 in favor of "not being such a good idea"

We like the ink... we just want to choose what we want... ;)

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Laura, I like your idea, but do you think that it compromises the product (introducing, say, contaminates) to have opened it and dipped a non-sterile item into it? It's no big deal to me (I'd rather get inks from individuals selling stuff they don't like and help out their wallets), but others may balk at the idea of it being lightly "used" but still the same price. Or maybe this is the trade-off for certainly of color....

Yeah, good point, I can see that being a worry for some, but those folks could also just pick the unopened "surprise" bottle.

I have to say I've bought ink in actual stores, and usually the salesperson or store owner has opened it first and showed it to me, maybe done a swab or even dipped a pen. I've seen this at pen shows, too. (And I'm sure some places won't do this, but racking my brain, I've seen it every time I've bought ink in person. I hope I'm not being excessively honest and freaking people out -- they wouldn't do it if it caused problems. And it never has for me.)

I buy and sell used ink, like you. Vintage inks, too. Again, never an issue.

So I did opt for buying 3 and seeing what I got. Goulet said the odds were 1 in 3 that you'd get each of the 3 hues, I liked my chances.

I wound up with 2 of the darkest purple and one of the lighter purple. Go figure, the one I didn't get was the reddish hue that I was most eager to see. They are beautiful, which is great because I did slightly cover my hand and kitchen counter in ink.

So I did opt for buying 3 and seeing what I got. Goulet said the odds were 1 in 3 that you'd get each of the 3 hues, I liked my chances.

I wound up with 2 of the darkest purple and one of the lighter purple. Go figure, the one I didn't get was the reddish hue that I was most eager to see. They are beautiful, which is great because I did slightly cover my hand and kitchen counter in ink.

Maybe you ought to start a dedicated bottle swap thread for people brave enough to buy all three... someone else might end up with double reds? If enough people agreed to participate, I might even gamble on buying three!

Someone double check my math but I think you've only got a 22% chance of getting all three colors when purchasing 3 bottles.

I have no intention of purchasing it, but was idly wondering if an ink can't even be offered in one consistent colour at point of manufacture, what might happen after it's been in the bottle for a while? Does it stay one of those three shades you start with? Or will it change into one of the others? Or something else entirely? :unsure:

Someone double check my math but I think you've only got a 22% chance of getting all three colors when purchasing 3 bottles.

%22.(2) to be exact :-)